Is this block unusable?

K Sparky

Help Toyota People! I have a quick question for any of you with experience with cracked blocks that have been welded for repair. My brother has a 4 runner with the interesting 22RET. This was an all original 80s turbo 4 banger with an automatic. He swapped in a five speed and put in an upgraded turbo but was still not very satisfied with the performance so he decided to pull the engine and rebuild it. However just when the machine shop was about to bore it they found a crack that had been welded and refused to do the machine work. He expected the crack to be in a cylinder wall or at a bearing interface but instead it was on the outside as shown. Is this really an unusable block?

Attachments

Might have to go to a Toy forum that is active for the years that engine was used in.... 
The crack might have been from the coolant freezing or a mfg flaw, not from a component failure thus vibration.
Jim.

K Sparky said:
Help Toyota People! I have a quick question for any of you with experience with cracked blocks that have been welded for repair. My brother has a 4 runner with the interesting 22RET. This was an all original 80s turbo 4 banger with an automatic. He swapped in a five speed and put in an upgraded turbo but was still not very satisfied with the performance so he decided to pull the engine and rebuild it. However just when the machine shop was about to bore it they found a crack that had been welded and refused to do the machine work. He expected the crack to be in a cylinder wall or at a bearing interface but instead it was on the outside as shown. Is this really an unusable block?
If it passes a pressure check, I'd personally run it with no concerns. I like pressure testing them when they are warm. Throw it in the heated parts washer, pull it out an hour or so later and quickly pressure test the block with soap and water. You can also do the in tank test, but that eliminates the ability to test it warm obviously. If this was a big power thing, I might be more concerned. Good luck

Its just a 22r block, i'd just go find another. the rotating assembly is the special sauce, and the manifolds. I've heard the head is the same but I'm unsure. but if the block is welded, I actually agree with the machine chop. reason being is the block now has microfractures and may not last until the rebuild is worn out. Its fine to repair it when its an otherwise unusable engine because hey, its garbage without the fix, any additional miles gained is just money saved. But I would not use it on a fresh build.

k1n3k said:
Its just a 22r block, i'd just go find another. the rotating assembly is the special sauce, and the manifolds. I've heard the head is the same but I'm unsure. but if the block is welded, I actually agree with the machine chop. reason being is the block now has microfractures and may not last until the rebuild is worn out. Its fine to repair it when its an otherwise unusable engine because hey, its garbage without the fix, any additional miles gained is just money saved. But I would not use it on a fresh build.

This is a turbo block so it is a bit different then the stock 22RE but not so much that a regular 22RE won?t fit in its place. I just talked it over with my brother and he is getting a different block and having a guy in Arizona do a sweet race build for him now. However this may be a good upgrade for my 1979 20R😁

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom