How to Make your own Clicky Starter Fix

MUDZUKI2

Ok guys I know all of us can make these for our CLICKY Starters, these are really simple and can be made for about 7.00 to 8.00, The list of supplies can be bought at Advance Auto Parts and the like, You will need 5 Female  Receiving ends, 4 for the relay, and 1 for your Starter( the little tab on the starter itself),  You will need 2 Loops (circle s) 1 for your ground wire, one for the positive battery cable. and you will need 1 spade(male end) this goes to your wire that would normally plug onto the starter tab.  You will also need a 30-40 amp relay, these can be found were Advance sells fog lights and driving lights. Also  you will need 4 peices of wire , usually 6 to 8 inches in length. these are basically all the supplies it takes, if you want to heat shrink the wires were you crimp them, you can get that at advance to., here are some pics of supplies needed
HPIM0621.JPG

HPIM0622.JPG

you will need to attach 4 female ends on the males of the relay, using your 6 to 8 inch cut wire  the relay has a little tab that will allow you to mount it to the firewall, etc...I place the tab up and male ends down, the wiring sequence is this,looking at the relay with the tab up, male ends down......the far right wire off the relay will be a ground........ the one facing the front will be the female that hooks to your starter tab.........the one facing left will be the male that plugs into the  little wire that used to hook to the starter tab, the one in the back will be a hot wire that runs to the pos. battery cable.  its that simple,,,, I mounted mine here, to the right of the battery, on the firewall........ I hope I didnt make this harder than it is, Its fairly simple. ;D
HPIM0624.JPG

I have swaped the wires around & nothing . I think I might of goten the wrong relay do you have a part # by chance?

Bama Zuk said:
I have swaped the wires around & nothing . I think I might of goten the wrong relay do you have a part # by chance?

What is yours doing exactly? It may be the HIGH current contact on the starter instead of an ignition switch burning out. I've never tried to rebuild a Suzuki starter, but I've done it on a couple of other vehicles. If you can get the starter apart, you can probably fix it. Check the relay. If it is opening and closing and passing voltage to the starter, then you have another problem.

I did my fix this morning. worked great, thanks MudZuki2. I got a few off-road light relays from a friends truck and some wire and connecters from the motorpool. total cost=$0.00 ;D If anyone has questions or needs pics/PT#'s just ask.

Great writeup Mudzuki, worked like a charm for me.  Great savings off the Petroworks and other seller prices of $16 and up.  Total repair time was about 30 minutes, since I soldered all connections.  For those who want a part number, I personally used (from Autozone) a DF005 "Baja Tough" relay.  Cost:  $3.99.  For those who need to work by terminal numbers, check this write-up:

http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/samurai/starterfix.htm

Basically, terminal 87 goes to your starter.  Terminal 87a is not used (it is a constant hot).  #86 connects to the existing female that runs to the factory 1/4" tab.  #30 goes to the battery.  Terminal 85 goes to ground.

Quote:  Basically, terminal 87 goes to your starter.  Terminal 87a is not used (it is a constant hot).  #86 connects to the existing female that runs to the factory 1/4" tab.  #30 goes to the battery.  Terminal 85 goes to ground

Verification needed:    does #86 come from existing ignition switch?

hammy_tn said:
Quote:? ?Basically, terminal 87 goes to your starter.? Terminal 87a is not used (it is a constant hot).? #86 connects to the existing female that runs to the factory 1/4" tab.? #30 goes to the battery.? Terminal 85 goes to ground

Verification needed:? ? does #86 come from existing ignition switch?

Yes.  The OEM female spade that is on your starter now will connect to it.

I understand how a starter works, and how this fix is supposed to work.

But if the ignition has enough current to trigger the relay, why wouldn't the ignition itself be able to trigger the solenoid?

I finally made mine after 3months of being sick of hearingclick click click clickclick click click click  click click  click click  click click  click click . It was super easy and works awsome. Fires up first crank every time. Thanks allot man!

i have a 16v that does the clicky starter thing    will this work on the 16v harness to fix the clicky starter?

xanthias said:
Terminal 87a is not used (it is a constant hot).  

This isn't really relevant to the thread, just an FYI.  Assuming 12V is hooked up to terminal 30, then 87a is only hot (has voltage to it) as long as the relay isn't activated.  As soon as the relay is activated, the voltage that is coming in on terminal 30 is switched from terminal 87a to the 87 terminal(s).

MaineZuke said:
But if the ignition has enough current to trigger the relay, why wouldn't the ignition itself be able to trigger the solenoid?

The voltage, not the current (amperage) triggers the relay.  So................

supazuk said:
not enough amperage

therefore you are correct.

It was working good, but now that the weather is cold it still clicks. A lot more solid click (more power is going to the starter) but the colder is gets the worse it gets. The starter was rebuilt about 4months ago, but that doesn't mean allot when it is in the mud/water. Do you guys think I need a new starter?

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom