Homemade Missing Links

rsm688

seen tons of threads with questions about this, building mine today/tomorrow so i figured i would do a good writeup.

Parts Needed (this is for 4 missing links, for 2 just cut the materials in half):

4- 2" sections of 1" I.D. Tubing
2- 1" sections of 1" square stock
2- 1.5" sections of 1" square stock
4- 2.5" sections of 1" square stock
4- 2.5" sections of 1/4" thick, 1" wide flat stock
8- 5" sections of 1/4" thick, 1.5" wide flat stock (2" if necessary)
4- 1.5" sections of 3" C-Channel, 1/4" thick
4- 3" sections of 1/2" rod (square or round)
2- pairs of bushings for sammi springs, cj fronts, etc (2" length to be inserted into tubing, 1" diameter)

Total cost for the steel was $25, i paid a buddy $20 to do all the cuts for me to save me the time, Bushings for all 4 can be had for about $10 (i already had plenty so i didnt have to pay for them)

Overall i am going to end up with 4 missing links for $45, not bad considering the cheapest aftemarket kits run $100 for 2.

Pics and instructions will be coming soon.

Thanks,
Spencer

FistAlpha said:
Cant wait for pics and directions.

got part of the way done tonight, me and my stupidty and impatience didnt think about the c-channel....its not long enough or wide enough....will go tomorrow and get a replacement and get the pics and writeup together

thanks,
spencer

threadworthless.gif

sorry guys.... pics will be coming soon, everything has been chaotic lately and keep forgetting stuff. completely forgot about this post but i got pictures

I sent him a PM and replied that he has had some rough times of late and he would post up when he is able. on the good side he said that they are holding up great.

? is there any way to make it to where you could possabily drill a hole and use a trailor pin to lock the missing links shut for street driving than take them out for trail ridding ?

? i think if you  weld a little plaet on each side on the top of the lower shckle and line em up drill a hole through everything just big enuff for a pin itll hold but i dont know ?

I ran missing links front and rear on my rig and drove it like I stole it most days... I never had any of the links open on my untill I hit a trail.

? i stole these picture from holeshot and used the paint option maybe this would work for street driving ?

Attachments

• shackle.webp
    shackle.webp
    17 KB · Views: 844
  • shackle 2.webp
    shackle 2.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 635
I started making my own, but life happened and I haven't finished.
DSC01301.jpg

stock econoline shackle & 14mm bolts, offset plates from ruffstuff specialtys, & 9/16" (14mm)  sleeves for the spring eyes.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom