Home made tube doors with custom latch

Jbird

Decided to try and make some tube doors. I made them out of square tubing for 2 reasons....1- I don't have access to a bender, 2- I like the square look on my zuk. ;D

Thanks goes to Doug for getting all of the angles cut right and welding them together. Here's a few pictures. I've got some very detailed shots of how I made the latch. I had a brain shower(not smart enough to have a brain storm) and this is what I came up with for the latch.

tubedoors1.JPG

tubedoors2.JPG

Notch in tube door...
tubedoors3.JPG

Latch inserted
tubedoors4.JPG

Looking down into tube door at latch
tubedoors5.JPG

tubedoors6.JPG

tubedoors7.JPG

Bolt attaches to latch...acts as push release.
tubedoors8.JPG

tubedoors9.JPG

tubedoors10.JPG

tubedoors11.JPG

tubedoors12.JPG

Haven't had the chance to really test the doors out. Paint was still drying ;D

Very nice build I have one question, what if you tap the latch with your elbow or arm, on a trail and it flys open.  Have you though about a locking pin through the bolt or a nut lower down on the bolt with a flat slide plate that prevents it from opening.  Other than that man I love when people think outside the box.

Caleb

Nice work guys! 8)

Gotta say that you two have about the nicest zuks that I've seen!

Can't wait to run Daniel with you guys in a couple of weeks! Just be gentle :-X

;D

that Jibed  and Doug done  another sharp one  and the latch  looks like a really cool idea also . well looks like things are going in the basket for rodent for right now he is just hoping we will be able to make a quickie up to
UW  on Sat .but work demands ya know.

Warpig said:
Very nice build I have one question, what if you tap the latch with your elbow or arm, on a trail and it flys open. Have you though about a locking pin through the bolt or a nut lower down on the bolt with a flat slide plate that prevents it from opening. Other than that man I love when people think outside the box.

Caleb

You have a valid point, but if you notice where the release is located, it's almost impossible to hit with your elbow.

But I'll let you know after Zuwharrie ;D

VA88ZUK said:
Nice work guys! 8)

Thanks for the compliment ;D

Looking forward wheeling with you.

VA88ZUK said:
Nice work guys! 8)

;D
  I GOTTA  see this. :o

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom