GM Ignition Module and Ignition Coil Swap 86-89 Samurai Part 1

beekiller said:
Indeed. It's something one of the job requirements for me. ;D

Beekiller what else would you want from me on this effort? I have run the engine for about a hour and a half now and have the carb going well enough that I could get the engine idling at 800 and the timing at 10 btdc now with just a small effort but that does not change the how to write up any. Also I have an extra Toyota pickup coil on hand and could check the fitment and functionality with just a bit of effort too if it is advantageous. Also I found all the parts on rockauto and could add the parts from there as well. Let me know I would gladly help.

It's your writeup, so whatever you wish to add, or not. It honestly looks, without actually doing myself, like one of our better writeups. At the moment life things are consuming the time... hopefully I'll get it together to create the article. Thanks for your efforts!

beekiller said:
It's your writeup, so whatever you wish to add, or not. It honestly looks, without actually doing myself, like one of our better writeups. At the moment life things are consuming the time... hopefully I'll get it together to create the article. Thanks for your efforts!

Definitely understand life doesn?t slow down much around here either most of this write up was done in the midnight hours when the kids where asleep and nothing else had to be attended to. I will probably add a few things to it over the next month or so and pass it your way. The summer is on and dad life is fully engaged so projects take a back seat. Would it be best in a word document form?

A lot of times I will write a reply in Word and then Cut & Paste it to the forum. It just seems easier and it gets saved as you type.

Here's the moment we've all been waiting for.....the article is published! Congrats [member=633]K[/member] Sparky , and thanks for sharing your work!  [thumbsup]

https://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?article=GMIgnitionSwap

Hi, K Sparky

Will this mod work on a 84 Suzuki Sammi?

I'm having problems as the carby is stuffed so going to swap with a Toyota 3k. But also the engine keeps cutting out,
was told it's because of the coil.

84Sammi said:
Hi, K Sparky

I'm having problems as the carby is stuffed so going to swap with a Toyota 3k. But also the engine keeps cutting out,

No this mod was made on a 1986 but it should work on any electronic ignition of this era. If your system is still using points and a condenser the coil may work for you but the GM ignition module needs the pulse input from the Hal effects sensor to fire the coil. Mine had a similar thing on and I did not know if I had a fuel pump, carburetor, or ignition problem! As it turned out I had all three!😖If your distributor looks similar internally to the one In my pictures this should work. If you have points you may go a different route. However if you can get a hold of a 1986-1988 electronic ignition distributor that has a good hal effects sensor and swap it in this will work. I will look into exactly what it takes to swap a points system over to this system and add that to this as well. Can you post a picture of your distributor with the cap off in the thread?

84Sammi said:
Hi, K Sparky

I'm having problems as the carby is stuffed so going to swap with a Toyota 3k. But also the engine keeps cutting out,

Sorry for the delay in my responseI took a small hiatus for the inter webs. Is you Sammy a SJ410 if do and if it is stock it has points but from my research the 85-88 models have electron ignition and the distributors fit in to the 82-84 housing.

So I did not know this at the time I wrote this up but evidently the SJ410 82-84 and SJ413 85-88 distributors are interchangeable according to this video. This write up and the article that came from it address what is going on in the distributor the video shows. The ?exciter? is the samurai ignition control module that this mod replaces.  

https://youtu.be/h2jsgplmlu0

so if you get a ?bad? 85-88 distributor cheap or free and do this mod to it then it should fit right into a 82-84 SJ410 Samurai. I have not personally tried this but from what I have found it should work!

Well it is time to replace my first ignition module! Turns out if you leave the keys in your samurai because the back wheels are removed for brake work and the gage cluster is out so you don?t think about it you still have the attraction of pretend to off road to your 5 year old son who just might turn the key on and leave it on for a week frying your ignition control module. Oh well I have two extras in a box and will swap it as soon as I get the dash back together!

Oh yeah also discovered this!!! GM made a five pin ignition module that incorporated the ability to retard the timing 5 degrees when ever the additional pin was shorted. If you use this module instead you could use it in your turbocharged applications and short it with a pressure switch!😁 Or you could short it to help start you decked high compression 1.3 8v performance builds!!!😂

Attachments

Well I did it again blamed the kids for something I did to myself!!! It turns out that in the classic to many changes at once effort of adding a new carburetor, fixing an ignition switch, fixing a headlamp switch set, adding a push button start and removing the gauge cluster to do a cleanup and painting of the gauge bezel, and center consul I have a bad positive battery connection some place!

I replaced the ignition module I thought was bad in less then 10 minutes but it still would not start. I then ran a hot wire directly to the positive side of the coil and the windshield wipers that would not work came on!!! Once I shut them off and tried again the engine fired up right away!

I really appreciated the old hot wire to the coil trick working on this setup! 

oh and the first ignition control module is fine!

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It helps the rest of us to look at trouble shooting from a different perspective. [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Great write up, I converted mine last night and ran it almost 100 miles today problem free.  Mine was working fine but I have been having an ignition gremlin that I have been chasing with the signal to my Sniper EFI.  Now for some time to see if this fixed it or not.

melbakid said:
How much of a hassle was the Sniper install?

https://forums.holley.com/forum/holley-efi/sniper-efi/38472-sniper-2gc-on-suzuki-samurai-1-3l-engine

https://www.youtube.com/@ultra4suzukisamurai679/videos

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom