Fuel injectors

Jim Blackwood

Well guys, it looks like we have a problem. About a year ago I noticed that the sources for the fuel injector for the 1.3L engine had dried up. Now the same appears to be true for the 1.6L 8v engine. Only thing I've seen are ads for a $400 used injector which may be just as bad as the one you pull out, and a rebuild service which won't be able to do anything about the wear.

So for those running the TBI, has your idle yet started to burble? Have you noticed a need to floor it on a hot start yet? If you haven't, you will. Like all mechanical parts the injector has a finite life span and it will wear out. Those are the starting symptoms but it gets much worse, eventually leading to things like hydrolocking the engine and bending rods to say nothing of the poor economy.

What can we do about it?

I wasn't too surprised about the TBI 1.3L, there may not be that many of them worldwide but I was frankly caught off guard by the 1.6L as I'm pretty sure the numbers were a good bit higher. If there truly is no longer a source maybe we should be thinking about approaching the original manufacturer to see what it would take to have a limited production run put out by them. Anybody have any contacts that could lead in that direction?

Jim

The problem is that cleaning will not repair wear. They state very clearly that they offer a cleaning service and will reject anything that is too worn. The problem is not a dirty injector I am quite sure., in which case it is just chasing good money down a rat hole. Have you used their service successfully?

Jim

I wasn't too surprised about the TBI 1.3L, there may not be that many of them worldwide.

NOTE: Although EFI Samurai sales were extremely low in the US after the Consumer Reports debacle in 1988, they were imported to many parts of the world for several years. The US aftermarket suppliers don't stock many of the Samurai EFI components here because there is just not much demand.

I did locate brand new OEM Suzuki Genuine injectors from a few online sources for an 8v 1.6. The least expensive was $330.48 + 19.17 shipping. I also located brand new OEM Suzuki Genuine injectors for a Samurai 1.3 8V from a few online sources. The least expensive I saw was $436.32 + 18.82 shipping. For brand new Japanese Suzuki OEM parts I think the prices are not that bad considering the current economic environment (i.e., BIDENOMICS).

1.6 Throttle Body -->
1.6 Throttle Body Exploded.webp

1.3 Throttle Body -->
1.3 Throttle Body Exploded.webp

Last edited:
Thanks. I ordered the first one for the 1.6L, it cost about $370 with shipping. A lot of money for a part like that but scarcity does raise the value I suppose. I like that the seller asks for the VIN. In this case that doesn't help but I did send them the ECU number. Should be here in a couple weeks, I'll report back on the fix.

Jim

Unfortunately it was the wrong part. The photos below tell the tale, first photo is the original part, (actually the 1.3 injector but they are similar) the second one shows the 15710-58B000 injector. Guess what I need is the part number for the correct 1.6 injector. Can anyone help with that?

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0001.webp
    IMG_0001.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 15710-58B00.webp
    15710-58B00.webp
    12 KB · Views: 9
I looked up the correct part numbers for the TBI injectors I posted above, but when later posting the LINKS to where they were sold, one of the links was not for the correct number I had looked up, which was definitely a mistake on my part.

The two links below it, which are more expensive, both have the correct part number 15710-56B00 for the 8V 1.6. The 15710-58B00 part number must be for the 16V 1.6 because the part you received looks like a multipoint injector.

1.6 Throttle Body Exploded with Part Number.webp

The current ad on eBay shows that same vendor also has the correct one, 15710-56B00, so hopefully you can get it exchanged.

I got a return authorization for a refund with no comment. Their 15710-56B00 is about $50 more then the 15710-58B00 so I'm looking at others.

There is one in the UK for $219.24 from Latvia but wouldn't get here until possibly July, at least a month and a half.
One from Poland could be here by May 16. It costs about the same as I paid for the 15710-58B00, $365. I think I will go with that one and see how long my refund takes.
With euro taxes it still came out to $403. It's a hellacious amount to spend on one fuel injector. I sure hope this works.

Jim

Last edited:
I knew there was a reason I got a carbureted Samurai.;) .... Good luck with it...

I have owned dozens of Samurais since the 90s and worked on many more. After going through all the different year models I've owned, I am left with 4 fuel injected models for a reason... I just won't turn loose of any of them.

Scarcity of some EFI components is one of the few drawbacks, and I was fortunate enough to be able to spend years buying inexpensive used factory EFI components that I did not need when they were not in demand. At that time Samurai EFI components didn't sell well at all because very few people owned them and Tracker parts were almost exclusively being used for most conversions.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a mint tin top like yours... so I could swap the body over to the chassis from one of my EFI models. :)

Last edited:
Don’t get ME wrong.. I was just making a smarta$$ remark. ;) … I would love to have FI, even though this carb is working fantastic, and breezes thru CA’s smog test… FI is just simpler…. And the TT is in great shape but it’s not mint:)
Butch

Don’t get ME wrong.. I was just making a smarta$$ remark. ;) … I would love to have FI, even though this carb is working fantastic, and breezes thru CA’s smog test… FI is just simpler…. And the TT is in great shape but it’s not mint:)
Butch
Yeah, the same here... I like EFI but would trade one of mine for even a straight tin top (yours LOOKS mint). I went with my dad in late 1988 and helped him pick out, buy, and drive home a brand-new silver 1988.5 hardtop. When he got older, he wanted to trade it to me for a Honda station wagon I had already driven the wheels off of almost. He insisted, so I was the new owner and that is when I started liking Samurais. I bought another one or two and when my son was a teenager, he and I started lifting and modifying them and doing a lot of mud and trail riding together. My son PICKED the hardtop for us to build for him and I eventually signed it over to him before he started to college. He'll be 40 this year and still has it. I just asked him not to ever sell it unless he let me make the first offer.

1988.webp
GB_0111 A.webp
GB_0146.webp

Last edited:

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom