Enlarging wheelwells

nc_zuk

By by Randy Bouchard
with Jim Bova

Enlarging the Wheelwell

"Virtul Lift ?"- Here is a way to add some wheel travel while keeping the inner wheel wells stock looking as well as eliminating known rust areas. When interior side panels are reinstalled all your work is hidden. The procedure for the rear is shown, but once mastered the front is easy to figure out.

normal_1cuts.jpg

Remove the stock flare bracket carefully so it can be reused . The cuts were made with a circular saw and the tabs can be made bigger than mine if you desire.

normal_2half.jpg

Bend over tabs. Basically, what you are doing is coming straight across, level with the top of the inner fender. Overlap the outer tabs over the inner tabs.

normal_3closeup.jpg

Inside view.
normal_4rivets.jpg

Rivet the tabs together.

normal_5Mvc-007f.jpg

Fiberglass over the tabs and give it a finished appearance.

normal_6thirty5.jpg

This pic shows how much space is gained.

normal_7stuffed.jpg

This is a fully stuffed 35" tire. Notice there is still about an inch to spare.

normal_8Mvc-009f.jpg

Outside view after the fiberglassing is done.

normal_9primered.jpg

Finished and undercoated.

normal_10flare.jpg

CJ flare as an example

normal_11Mvc-008f.jpg

Inside view.

normal_12Mvc-010f.jpg

Completed. Looks good without the flare or one can be added.

normal_13Mvc-012f.jpg

Two more pictures of the completed flare without a flare installed.

normal_14Mvc-013f.jpg

Two more pictures of the completed flare without a flare installed.

normal_15Mvc-014f.jpg

Yes my garage is a mess. That's the next project!

normal_16Mvc-035f.jpg

Picture of the front wheelwell with the YJ flare.

normal_17Mvc-019f.jpg

Finished rear wheelwell with the YJ flare attached.

My favorite part of this write up is the Little Tikes shop bench.

liltike.jpg

When you do the fiberglass are you just doing the resin or are you using the fiberglass sheeting also?

Attachment Unavailable

howdy,
thats why pertowork's calls it a sport cage. it only looks sportie. they are made to just maybe save your life, or at least just hurt you alittle but not kill you.

Jimzuki said:
howdy,
thats why pertowork's calls it a sport cage. it only looks sportie. they are made to just maybe save your life, or at least just hurt you alittle but not kill you.

Where the Hell you been Bro miss seeing ya on the boards
-Scott

rockrat said:
Where the Hell you been Bro miss seeing ya on the boards
-Scott

howdy,
scoot life ain't to good right now. found out my brother in law has MS in july. life has been fliped around, he nows lives with me and my wife, and has lost the feelings in his legs. i don't have much time any more, between him and work to do anything else. when something like this happens, it makes me close everything up.

Jimzuki said:
howdy,
scoot life ain't to good right now. found out my brother in law has MS in july. life has been fliped around, he nows lives with me and my wife, and has lost the feelings in his legs. i don't have much time any more, between him and work to do anything else. when something like this happens, it makes me close everything up.

I do understand that totally you take care of your family,, and if you ever need to talk just holler otherwise Ill yell at you when I see ya on the boards.. take care
-Scott

I followed a loose interpitation of this on the Rear of my Sammy. I used a few variations that I felt worked well for my aplication.

1. Once I removed the Flare bracket I cut the seam out of the fender. Basically just cut a similar arch 1/2" above the current fender. I used a cordless recipicating saw.
Just pretend it's a jig saw and it will work....

2. I cut up about 1/2" -3/4" higher in the rear fender. My goal was to make my wheel openings match the top of the factory flare. This gave me room for 38's with a stock SPOA...

3. The gas fill shield and Fuel Tank vapor catch container (Rt. rear) required some fancy cuttig and folding. The Fuel fill guard I just beat and bent back with a BIG hammer.

Michael

I am getting ready to cut on the front of my Zuk - the back is already gone. I am going to 39.5s from 35s aith no more lift. Does anyone have an pics of radical front fender trimming? I'd like to avoid just tubing it since I have stuff mounted in the engine compartment on the inner fenders.

Thanks,

jackie

Hey guys I am new here but on the front wheel well thing I think the easiest thing to do would be remount everything on the fender wells.  I helped a guy build a quasi innerfender.  We just took flat steel cut around everything we needed to measured the tallest thing we needed to fit.  We had to make a box for the battery if you can weld and have a grinder with a cut off disc it doesn't take too long to do.  As for myself I built brackets coming off the firewall and am going to use chicken wire duct tape and some type of spray on bedliner (like lava liner or durabak or something) to build my inner fender wells.  ;D Hope this helps [orangevertside]

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom