Converting Stock A/C to On-Board Air

1.9TD_Zook

I am still in the middle of the conversion and will edit this as I git-r-done.

Here are the pictures (descriptions to follow):

compressormounted.jpg

stocklinescut.jpg

intakeexploded.jpg

intakeassembled.jpg

intakemounted.jpg

manifoldexploded.jpg

manifoldassembled.jpg

manifoldmounted.jpg

Bama Zuk said:
How much power lose do you think you will have with the install if any?

There won't be any when the compressor is not under load.  Yes, it may take less than a HP to turn the outer ing of the A/C clutch, but that is negligible.  When it is engaged and pumping, probably 5HP ... but I plan to use this only when parked since the only ON/OFF switch will be a manual toggle on the pressure switch.

nc_zuk said:
LOL! YOu plan on airing up your tires while driving up the mountain?? :P :P ;D

im gunna hook mine up to a tank and use it to run ARB's aswell as airing up and running air tools on the trail.

will the power drop be noticable wen wheeling you think ? i mean on low range the revs will be up a bit.

im just curious not having a go at you :)

I'm using an electric Firestone unit now to fill my tank, but it can take a while.

I'm thinking of adding an engine-driven unit to the mix. Keeping the electric, too, for 'engine-off' air.

Any thoughts?

energizer85 said:
im thinking this thread is 3 yrs old :)

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter.....:)

Ok...I have a dumb question, what's the difference between Stock A/C and On-Board air?

teh a/c uses pressure to cool the car. well to make a redneck on board air you can take the a/c compressure and rig it up to build air pressure that you can use for airing up tires air lockers air horns ect

no not the best way to air up ur "lowrider". check into air-zenith compressors. they are fully rebuildable (unlike the cheap junk out there) and fills a tank from 0psi to 200psi in 7 minutes. and if u run a pressure switch on your tank it will kick on when ur air pressure falls to 165psi(or whatever ur switch is set to) and fill it back to 200psi in 2 minutes.  www.air-zenith.com is their website

I was making what i thought was a funny comment.... Cost to yeild an ac compressor isnt a bad option for your draggin needs, my buddys s10 fills up his tank in much less than 7 minutes but i would imagine there be many different tank sizes.  For those wondering how well an ac compressor can hold up to this hes been dding it for 3 years on the factory compressor!

it was a funny comment..lol  i was just giving another option. those air zenith compressors are great. plus like i said they are fully rebuildable. so when it finally bites the dust, just order a rebuild for it and in about 30 minutes u've got a new compressor again. i've seen a lot of people waste money on "cheap harbor freight" compressors and such just to watch them burn up. the air zenith is 100% dutycycle. just my .02  ;D

sammy77 said:
it was a funny comment..lol  i was just giving another option. those air zenith compressors are great. plus like i said they are fully rebuildable. so when it finally bites the dust, just order a rebuild for it and in about 30 minutes u've got a new compressor again. i've seen a lot of people waste money on "cheap harbor freight" compressors and such just to watch them burn up. the air zenith is 100% dutycycle. just my .02  ;D

You're starting to make me think you work for 'em....... ;D ;D

nope, just a happy customer. ;D  i've had the converted a/c compressor also, it worked decent to. its definitly worth a few bucks if you are gonna run a tank to buy a pressure switch and wire it in instead of a toggle switch. that way the ac compressor will kick on whenever your tank falls below the specified psi and it also cuts off at a specified psi......just my .02 [idea]

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257802

I found one, I know, I know, it's a Jeep site, but it's what popped up when I googled it. We all get the idea though.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom