Camping with rifles

melbakid

The wife and I just spend 7 days in the Idaho Bruneau Desert hunting (AKA camping w/rifles as my wife likes to call it)  in Unit 46. Didn't see any deer at all. Just one dead one that a fellow hunter was gutting along the road to Castleford on Balancing Rock Road.
We did see about 150 to 160 antelope, 7 sage hens, covey of Hungarian Partridge and about 40 wild horses. Went down a steep 1000' drop into the Bruneau River to Indian Hot Springs. Major pucker factor going down and up the one lane canyon road. Too hot to get into the springs, my wife tried. Funny to see her yelp when she tested the water. She wouldn't believe me that it was too hot! Had to see for herself. We drove down to the Nevada border at Murphy Hot Springs (see a pattern here, my wife likes to go to hot springs, me ahh). The springs was a commercial venture, and it was closed, they were rebuilding it and it won't be open until next spring or later. I didn't realize I was only 13 miles from the town of Jarbidge, NV or I would have driven to see it. That was a 140-mile round trip and no deer, but lots of sightseeing which was fine. All told after 7 days I put almost 500 miles on the Samurai driving around the desert. The Samurai performed perfect, I was really happy with how it handled the terrain and drove on the gravel roads. The weather was nice. First morning it was 20* but, after that it warmed up to the high 50's low 60's in the daytime and down too mid to high 30's overnight.

We got buzzed by two A10 Warthogs on the third morning! They were making an attack run on the Saylor Creek Bombing Range. We were camped just a 1/2 mile south of the range. They flew about 80 to 100 feet above us. One behind the other. Just as they passed over us the lead one rolled vertical to the left and the second one rolled vertical to the right, so they were flying side by side belly to belly. It was fricken cool!!! When they passed over us it made the Samurai shake and the engine whine was incredible! I love the things man!!!! We saw A10's on maneuvers on two other days. We also saw F15's on three different days. One of the days they were flying into the bombing range right by camp, so we got to see them up close. Incredible!! But they weren't dropping anything, just making passes on the range. But it was still fun to see them that close. Tried to take pictures but could not get the camera to focus on the jets.

Well, I have two Samurai's, so I made my Tin Top into a more capable off roader. I changed the gears from 3.73 to 4.57. I put a locker in the front axle and a spool in the rear axle. I had bigger chromoly axles and all new bearings installed in the front and rear. I had disk brakes installed in the rear. When I did that, I lost my parking brake so I installed a kit that put a disk brake on the output shaft of the transfer case so I could have a parking brake again. Brakes work great!!!! Then I had the transfer case rebuilt with 4.16 gears and 2WD low range which it only had 2WD high before. With additional torque from the regearing I had to install a beefed-up transfer case cradle and mounts. I have a new winch mount bumper, some rock sliders and a set of 6" Bushwhacker flares that I still need to install. 
This was the first trip out for the Tin Top with all the gearing, locker/spool and full disk brakes installed. The Sami performed extremely well! [thumbsup]  [thumbsup] I was very happy with it. I expected a little getting use to the rear spool, but no problems. It really helped when we ascended the 1000' vertical climb out of the canyon after visiting Indian Hot Springs. I had to lock the front hubs in order to climb out. With a locker in the front diff it was a handful trying to steer it. I think my next project will be to install power steering.

The first photo is at Balance Rock Park just outside of Castleford, ID
The second one is at Clover Creek Crossing.
Third one is at Indian Hot Springs.
Fourth one is the trail that drops 1000' below the Bruneau Canyon Rim down to Indian Hot Springs.
Fifth one is the Jarbidge Mountain Range on the Nevada/Idaho border.

Attachments

• IMG_5220.webp
    IMG_5220.webp
    194.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5160.webp
    IMG_5160.webp
    241.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5190.webp
    IMG_5190.webp
    208.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5173.webp
    IMG_5173.webp
    155.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5237.webp
    IMG_5237.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 152
Just some more pictures from the trip.
Wild horses at Big Hill Butte.
Soldier Cap Butte.
Camp.
Old homesteaders stone house at Indian Hot Springs.
Butte at Clover Crossing with moon rise.

Attachments

• IMG_5207.webp
    IMG_5207.webp
    88.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5196.webp
    IMG_5196.webp
    369.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5152.webp
    IMG_5152.webp
    110.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5147.webp
    IMG_5147.webp
    209 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5137.webp
    IMG_5137.webp
    77.1 KB · Views: 135
Now that's a trip! You guys are blessed with scenery out there. I assume you tow the zuk behind the camping rig?

Nice trip you had. Looks to be a nice area to roam around in, but couldn?t live there with the cold temperatures in the winter.

You seem to time it perfect for just to ?get away time?.

Ray

beekiller said:
Now that's a trip! You guys are blessed with scenery out there. I assume you tow the zuk behind the camping rig?

No, I don't tow it behind the truck & camper. I have an 18' tandem axle steel bed trailer that I did a SPOA so I could get more clearance to it haul around in the desert so I wouldn't drag the beaver tail in the dirt.

Here is a picture from the same trip, but the sun was getting ready to set and I got a lot of lens flare in the cheap azz camera that I used.

Attachments

• IMG_5150.webp
    IMG_5150.webp
    145.4 KB · Views: 144
Some moar pics from the trip.
Balanced Rock Park.
Clover Creek Crossing.
Next two were antelope we would see when we went out. We had them come into camp after dark and water at the pond next to where we were camped.
Couple of moon rises east of camp.
Pretty cool clouds over the Jarbidge Mountains. Don't see the type of cloud formation very often.
And a sunset west of camp. This was over the Saylor Creek Bombing Range.

Attachments

• IMG_5259.webp
    IMG_5259.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5239.webp
    IMG_5239.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5267.webp
    IMG_5267.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5231.webp
    IMG_5231.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5227.webp
    IMG_5227.webp
    63.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5213.webp
    IMG_5213.webp
    84.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5170.webp
    IMG_5170.webp
    241.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5221.webp
    IMG_5221.webp
    204.2 KB · Views: 139
Any time that you can go out and do that, sans problems, it makes for a great trip! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Glad your zuk worked well for you. You have put the effort into it, and have it working the way that you want it.  [thumbsup]

Yes, power steering is nice, but if you're not using 4wd all that often, then maybe manual steering is enough? It's not the easiest mod to do either, especially as an after-thought, mostly because of fitment problems and working around other existing mods that have been done.
Even though I don't use 4wd very often when I'm out on the logging roads, I do many many 3 or 4 point turns on dead end roads that are barely wide enough to drive down. PS makes it less arduous.

Nice country BUT WHERE ARE THE TREES??  Sure is different from my parts!

Might see the occasional cottonwood along the river and some juniper trees out in the desert. Mostly sage, sage and moar sage. Occasionally some bitterbrush. A lot of native crested wheat fields that grow to about 30".

Not sure if this is the unofficial 2020 Hunting thread but the title makes it seem appropriate , 
Shot a moose a couple weeks ago and one of my buddies who is famous for cutting open  the gut bag mistakenly when we butcher did not disappoint ...
https://youtu.be/MQ4fV0r6IVs

There's one in every crowd!! [lol]

Nice moose by the way. [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  Here in Idaho it's pretty much a once in a life time draw.

Nice truck and beautiful country! Sorry you didn't get to bring home anything for the freezer. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could deal with winter!

So the jet?s were they out of mountain home? Gotta love Idaho such diverse country every thing from 10k foot mnt?s to high country deserts. I?m from Lewiston.

alans87zuk said:
So the jet?s were they out of mountain home? Gotta love Idaho such diverse country every thing from 10k foot mnt?s to high country deserts. I?m from Lewiston.
I believe the A10's were out of McGowan Field right next to the Boise Airport. The Idaho Air National Guard is stationed there and has a squadron of A10's. We see them all the time. I never get tired of seeing them!

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom