Burning Coolant, Need to know all possibilities please.

spooln1

I have a 97 4dr 5 speed tracker that I am starting to build. She runs great! purrs like a kitten. I have only put about 30 miles on her since I have owned it. I believe I am getting Antifreeze in my oil one way or another, typical symptoms, little bit of consistent white smoke out of the exhaust that smells sweet. Does not go away once I have achieved operating temp, Antifreeze looks a little milky, as does the dipstick. I have done a compression test which has told me all cylinders are equal with no spark plugs showing any obvious evidence burning antifreeze. I have never ran it long enough to see if the coolant level drops. The reason I am skeptical about it being a head gasket is because it runs so smooth, absolutely no sign of a miss fire at all plus I haven't seen the coolant level drop. Before I rip into this thing and replace a headgasket, I want to make sure that there isn't a possibility of it being something simpler. Thanks,

Here is where she stands right now.

This is Phase one complete. Which includes, 15x8 wheels, 31x10.50 tires, boxed steel rock sliders to replace old rusted rockers, New lighting, Tube front end with stinger,Tube Fenders, box and sealed wheel wells, front hitch mount, Front skid plate, lower A-arm mount brace. Out back the old rusted metal in the quarter panels has been replaced. Quarter panels trimmed and folded for additional clearance. Along with the new steel bumper and hitch. At this point there is no lift at all on this. Things to do next. Install 3in Calmini suspension lift (which replaces every suspension component on the vehicle), Manual locking front hubs, Locker in the rear. Then Desert Tan Paint Job.

finishedbenfront_zps2b95f34e.jpg

finishedbenrear_zps86ec024c.jpg

You MAY have a coolant leak from the intake. Look carefully at the intake manifold and look for something that has been removed/modified recently as these leaks generally come from a component not sealed completely when reinstalled.

Man I'm digging the stance on that pic in the front i'd hate to see it changed it looks like some kind of ninja desert crawler or some such cool.....

If you can beg borrow or steel a cooling system pressure testing rig it may help you find your problem. Mine doesn't have a fitting to fit the small radiator cap hole so I had to use an air hose to shoot pressure in the overflow tube, be careful with this you only need @ 15 lbs too much you'll pop something else.

Mike

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk HD

augeter date=1359140976 said:
You MAY have a coolant leak from the intake. Look carefully at the intake manifold and look for something that has been removed/modified recently as these leaks generally come from a component not sealed completely when reinstalled.

I agree 100%. I had a loose bolt on the intake and poured out white snow. It may be a loose bolt or maybe the intake or gasket has a crack. Jim

Thanks guys I will start looking for loose bolts first. Also I am only lifting it 3 inches (suspension) so it should retain pretty much the same look. Just need to get it up enough where my tires wont rub at full flex and lock to lock.  Thanks Again I am love with this little rig.

Pay particular close attention to the front of the intake manifold , ( towards the rad ) .. This is the area that I have found that will cause this issue ... The coolant flows from the block  , to the head , and out through the front part of the manifold ,  to the thremostate housing ... 

It is usually a loose bolt , or a faulty gasket in this area , that will cause it to burn the coolant as so ...  Just as the guys above said !  [thumbsup] 

Cheers .....................Paul  [thirsty]

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom