Bad Zuk's Twin Stick How To with Pictures!

Grabberman

The time has finally arrived.  After running my twin stick setup for a year I am fairly convinced that it will hold up for the long haul.

I have promised to do a write up on how I made my twin sticks if I ever had to tear my T-case apart again, and the time has come! So sit back, grab a cold one and enjoy!

IMPORTANT:  You must have the center detent ball removed from your t-case.  If you already have that removed then there is no need to fully disassemble your t-case, but if your case still has it in place you must split the t-case to remove it.  There are instructions for this elsewhere on here so I will not cover this.

Image013.jpg

Here is the reason I had to dive into my t-case, on a recent wheeling trip my driveshaft was crimped into the extended position and the stress from driving it out of the rocks caused the front output shaft to shear. 
I also had some bearing noise I wanted to investigate as well.

To get started, remove the stock shifter and set it aside.
Next remove the front output housing from the t-case.  There is no need to remove the front flange.  I do however recommend draining the gear oil prior to this step or you will have a big mes on your hands (and everywhere else!) ;D
Now clean everything up so you can actually see what you are working with.

Image014.jpg

You should have something like this, but with the flange on it.

Image015.jpg

Next you need to drill a hole for the new shift linkage centering bolt. 
First drill it 13/64 or a #7 so it is the proper size for 1/4 20 tap.  (double check my bit sizes, they may be wrong)
Line up the center of the hole on the casting line in the shift tower, and on plane with the stock shifter locating tabs.
Carefully drill through both sides of the shift tower. making sure everything is square and lined up. (again use the casting lines as a reference point)
Image016.jpg

After drilling through both sides, use a 1/4" bit to open up the first side only, and then double check that your tap will slide all the way through, you man have to open the hole up one additional size to clear the tap.

Image017.jpg

Carefully tape the far side of the hole.  Use care because it is aluminum and it is thin where it is being threaded.

Now it is time to start making pieces and parts.

Out of 1/4 steel make 2 pieces that mimic the end of the stock shifter as shown in the pictures below.  the "ball" area needs to be smaller than the stock ball to clear the locating pins in the shift tower.  Make the top long enough to attach some type of shift lever to later.
I'm sorry that I don't have a pattern to post or even a better image, but you should be able to get the idea.
Image029.jpg

Image030.jpg

Image031.jpg

You also need to make a couple of spacers, I used aluminum, due to the fact that it was easy to work with and it was on hand.  you can see the overall thickness in the picture below, and the outside needs to be radiused to fit inside the shift tower.
Image021.jpg

You also will need some nylon washers from the hardware store, I think mine came from Home Depot.  They are approx 3/4" diameter, and .060 thick.  I used 4 one between each spacer and the shift arm, and 2 between the arms.
To ease assembly I made a slight modification to my original design (I wish I had  [idea] sooner) I drilled the center holes of my shifter out large enough to accommodate a sleeve that fits through everthing, and holds it together as one piece.  It makes Assembly MUCH easier.
Oh, the piece I used was a Bick pen, just cut a piece small enough to fit inside the shift tower.
Image033.jpg

Here is everything assembled and ready to go together. 
Image034.jpg

:-[Please note that from this photo on I assembaled things incorectly.  If you look at the arms in the pictures you can see that the top arm has been clearenced slightly.  That is suposed to be towards the t-case, not away from it. 
After I assembaled everthing I realized that it wasn't fully engaging in low range and that my shift levers were pointing the wrong way so I hade to bull the shifters out and rearange the pieces.  DOH! :o
Image035.jpg

Image036.jpg

Here is what it should look like installed in the housing (note, the output housing can not be put on the case with the shifters installed)

Image037.jpg

If you look closely at the above pic you will see where the shifter arm needs to be clearanced to have enough room.

Image039.jpg

Here is a shot from the frontside where you can see the new 1/4" bolt running through the shift tower.

Image040.jpg

Image040.jpg

Everything reassembled.  This is where I realized that I screwed up and had my shifters wrong.  It is slightly confusing to me because I have changed them 3 different times since my original installation, sometimes with a torch and sometimes with a welder.

I would reccomend that you incorporate into your design the means to bolt the shift handles onto the new shift rods.  I originally planned to do this but got to excited to try it out and just welded on two pieces of rod.  It hasn't bugged me enough to change it yet.

I also reused the stock shifter boot without any modifications, and I filled the area below the boot with grease to help keep the water and dirt out, it works OK, but is not perfect.  There is a vendor on here who is supposedly working on a boot for a twin stick shifter, but I haven't been able to get Scott er I mean him to send me one yet.

Feel free to ask any questions you have,

Freakin' Sweet [smiley=thumb.gif]

And if we don't feel confident enough to do it on our own, how much do you charge for the mod? ;D

To really have a sellable item, it would need to be clean, look nice, have a working dust/water boot, and be installable with a flathead screwdriver and a pick.  Then they could be sold for $150 easy I bet.  I've been looking into things I can make and sell, but I think this kind of thing sounds like a job for someone with a cnc machine to make the arms just perfect every time, and maybe make a solid nylon bushing(with slots for the shifters) to drop in, held in with a clip or something.  Someone will come up with it.  If there's a will there's a way.

this is cool and a Great write up. I just happen to have a spare t-case that would be a perfect candidate for this.    [headbang] [headbang] [headbang]

slowmotion4x4 said:
this is cool and a Great write up. I just happen to have a spare t-case that would be a perfect candidate for this.    [headbang] [headbang] [headbang]
stupid.gif
  but only after reading trough this post and pics a hundred times to figure out what's what ( might be easier with a T-case next to me ;) )

I could do a search of course, but let me be "the stupid one".........here goes............What's the benefit of a twin stick ( beside looking cool  8) ) ?

The most talked about advantage is being able to switch between 2 and 4 low when you are on the trail.  Guys seem to find that it easier on their arms when they can disconnect the front when it isn't need and then quickly pop it back in. 

Second comment I have heard is that you don't have to worry about a shift pattern.  Just easier to see what gear you are in with the twin sticks.

That and when some one else looks at your zook. It is that much different than every other one    ;D  looked pretty straight forward to do to me but I have also had more t-cases apart than I can remember  lol  it really does look like a easy to do though

samilitant said:
To really have a sellable item, it would need to be clean, look nice, have a working dust/water boot, and be installable with a flathead screwdriver and a pick.  Then they could be sold for $150 easy I bet.  I've been looking into things I can make and sell, but I think this kind of thing sounds like a job for someone with a cnc machine to make the arms just perfect every time, and maybe make a solid nylon bushing(with slots for the shifters) to drop in, held in with a clip or something.  Someone will come up with it.  If there's a will there's a way.
Thats what Im talkin about! Billet, super clean! Sweeeeet!

Ive had a few people ask me about making some of these parts to share,  but I'm really not looking to make any sets right now.  In all honesty my fab skills tend to be on the crude side and most guys would be upset when the parts show up.  I am function way before form. 
I also don't have easy access to the machines to accurately reproduce the parts, it wouldn't be tough to do, but I don't current have the means or time.
I could care less about the whole patent deal, it would take a fair chunk of change to sue someone for infringement, besides he should have done something with it long before now. 

I think that Sarge is working with some type of twin stick deal, I don't know what he does, but pm him and ask.

That is awesome!!! I took the detent ball out of mine this weekend and the 2lo is nice to have when your locked in front.  I have been reading up on the twin stick conversion and your write up is very helpful. Yours looks like something that i might try to tackle.  Great job.  Again thanks for the write up.

I did the ball detent removal when i put in my 4.9-1s, it could be a pain to use though as you had to find that sweet spot to get both rods to move to go into and out of 2lo. I decided to do twin stick, my original thought was to do it similarly to Bad Zuk with the sticks riding on an axle with shims and washers, i even bought the bolt and nylon shims but i decide that would be a pain so after a little searching i found the guy who just cut 2 sticks and used them in the normal configuration sitting ont he sheet. Currently im using 2 sheets of rubber plumbing gasketing to act and a boot though they are too thin to work well i need to replace them with thicker sheets or possible 2 thicker sheets on in the cab one in the tunnel to keep water spray out, i just put a garbage bag over it now. Personally I love my twins .... Its like how I cant imagine not haivng broad band .. the easy and speed of changing gears is so much nicer.

Maybe you should send a copy of this to the common vendors we buy our parts from?? I can't imagine the mechanics at Rocky Road, Petroworks or the likes would not jump on the idea. They all are pushing their own version of 2h-2lo as the best already. I have an extra case just waiting for the right kit to buy. Then again I have an extra Sammy full of parts just waiting for code enforcement or the right parts to buy. One way or the other it is all for fun.

Ok, I'm from the Jeep the world...  There we Twin Stick the T-case to have the ability to have Front Hi/LO and Rear Hi/LO..  This can be very helpful off road (Front and Rear Digs, turning).

My question is, does this "twin" stick mod allow you to have JUST Front LO as well as JUST rear LO, or is it just 2wd Rear LO?

Thanks

Twiss said:
Ok, I'm from the Jeep the world...  There we Twin Stick the T-case to have the ability to have Front Hi/LO and Rear Hi/LO..   This can be very helpful off road (Front and Rear Digs, turning).

My question is, does this "twin" stick mod allow you to have JUST Front LO as well as JUST rear LO, or is it just 2wd Rear LO?

Thanks
To do a dig you need a disconnect from TT . The rear is always engaged .

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom