Back To My Roots: A Suzuki Samurai Project

If it's who I think it is, "Dirt Every Day" with Fred Williams and Dave Chappell went there and did a TV episode there. The place is huge, I couldn't believe how many vehicles they had under roof.

The new tubing for the tail pipe arrived and I didn't waste any time getting busy:
3XdxJVB.jpg

First step was to cut one of the 45 degree bends in half to two 22.5 degree bends. Cut on an abrasive chop saw and hand filed deburring:
KqDdDkT.jpg

A bit of tacking, some mock up, a length cut, and then some more tacking:
FSP3Q7B.jpg

gaIpxMH.jpg

sFwirIu.jpg

One last fitment test, prior to final welding:
3yVxspV.jpg

FgxXl0j.jpg

Everything looked and fit good, so it was now time to figure out the tip. Due to popular demand, the 45 degree downturn exit is what I've decided to go with. I grabbed the other 45 degree bend and took it to the chop saw:
SCSzUOx.jpg

With a little bit of deburring with the hand file and some emery cloth, we've got something:
saAmQlG.jpg

oDMPhph.jpg

SOgbdUK.jpg

Now for some mock up. I couldn't really get it into the exact location teetering on a jackstand, but where I have it in these pics is pretty close to where the final product will be positioned. Thoughts on protrusion? Too far out, too far in, or just right?
V6Ynzcg.jpg

glGPACv.jpg

xxzfC1h.jpg

B18sZZc.jpg

MwXwEFC.jpg

I'm hopeful that I can get the rest of this project close to wrapped up over the weekend. I really can't wait to hear how this sounds!

I am one of those folks that feel the stance of a vehicle is number one in what makes or breaks the look of a project. Number two would be the wheels. Number three the paint. Now the good part, number four, how the exhaust exits the vehicle. It's a subtle thing, but adds to the overall esthetic of the vehicle. Stuntnuts you have nailed it! :welder:  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  I really like the projection, not too much and the down turn is just right. Kudo's my man! ;D

I have been asked what equipment I use to do my welding....

I'm using a Miller Maxstar 151, which is a DC TIG only machine from the 1990's. I went to bicycle framebuilding school in 1999 and this model is what I learned on. It has served me well over the years, but like I've mentioned in the past, I don't get to use it much. It is 150A max, set up to weld thin wall tubing (for bicycle frames) but also does exhaust tubing (much thicker) very well. It is a DC only machine, so that means no aluminum welding, so it is limited in that sense. For me, with what I use it for, it's perfect.

umFEem7.jpg

My welding is something I'm very critical about. I have the mechanics of it figured out, but my biggest issue continues to be consistency, which is due to lack of frequency of use. I have moments of glory, where my welds couldn't make me happier, and other moments when I just want to scrap the piece and start over. I just started welding 304 stainless with this project, so I'm still figuring out this material, too. Here's a close up sample of my best work on this tailpipe project:

y8KIDP6.jpg

4OIQPer.jpg

Once I final welded up the tacked pieces, I figured out the hanger. As I did with the rest of the exhaust project, I utilized the factory hanger location on this portion. Aligning everything up:

1J3yYxb.jpg

And final welding the hanger:

YPIrLBL.jpg

Once the hanger was all welded up I did a final test fit before tackling the 45 degree tip:

EeCSH3h.jpg

Qe4g3Za.jpg

zmOoKQk.jpg

I was completely satisfied with the fit, but I started obsessing with the hanger. I thought it might be too long of a hanger and could flex, so I started thinking up some type of gusset to keep it from flexing:

sdC0tzN.jpg

I had very little unused material left, but enough to make a small gusset to stiffen up the hanger a bit. Ultimately I wasn't sure of its appearance, so I scrapped the idea for now. If I do see some flexing I will reinforce it at a later date. Gusset mocked into place:

0Oow48p.jpg

After the obsessing ended, I figured out where I wanted the tip to land, cut to length, and welded it to the rest of the tail pipe. This is the FINAL product:

MTSdWTn.jpg

zk7P2xT.jpg

YRMCZMV.jpg

And everything installed:

EiVbP8K.jpg

rlG3lIN.jpg

7wdM3KX.jpg

J1LTYtG.jpg

E3dirNi.jpg

fjhag0N.jpg

2amjrZM.jpg

AUx4Av1.jpg

It is really hard to capture the depth of the tip in photos, but as you can see in the last pic, it is about 1/4" behind the outer face of the bumper. Before I had it placed about 1.5" out further. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

Believe it or not, I did not get a chance to fire it up and hear it run yet....life got in the way. I'm going to fire it up shortly and hopefully get a clip of that for everyone, as well....

I finally got to fire up the Samurai yesterday afternoon. It hadn't run in about a month and a half, but had been on a battery maintainer. The garage has recently been around 45 degrees and an it was in the 20s outside. Here is the cold start footage:

https://youtu.be/ctDE9o9HI_Q

After it partially warmed up for about 10 or so minutes, I recorded this one:

https://youtu.be/ybOKEsG6cFM

Enjoy!

Sounds great!! [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  When I heard it, I thought what great sounding Zuk motor, then I remembered you V-dubbed it! [lol]  Still sounds very nice and nice work on the exhaust install. [thumbsup]

I officially pulled the Samurai out of hibernation yesterday. Its been warming up here in Maine and I could see no reason not to get an early jump.

I painted the MAF body with some high temp engine paint, we'll see how it holds up:
wNDcXQV.jpg

It definitely looks less out of place, now that it is black:
krYMPO2.jpg

I also wrapped up Operation: Help Me Sleep At Night. If you've been following along since last year, you know that the fuel lines used to be run along the passenger side of the engine bay, to the front of the engine, to the fuel rail. The problem with this setup is that they are in close proximity to the exhaust manifold for their entire run. In fear of disastrous outcomes from the extreme heat, I decided to relocate the fuel lines completely away from the exhaust manifold.

I chose to go up the firewall and across the top to the driver side with hard lines and then switch to rubber fuel hose from there to the fuel rail. I'm pretty happy with the fuel line routing, I think it looks pretty clean. The transition rubber fuel hoses seen here have since been wrapped with heat reflective fabric:
AF08rAV.jpg

I then had to figure out a good way to hold the rubber fuel hoses to the intake manifold. So I decided I would utilize these open threaded holes and do one of the things that I'm best at......making a bracket:
r2rPjTF.jpg

hqC2N01.jpg

Bracket installed:
OdPRP1r.jpg

Fuel hose clips installed:
2AbDxSr.jpg

And fuel hoses installed:
9BGBKpm.jpg

AAcUYpp.jpg

I now think that things are less risky, since the fuel lines are no longer close to the exhaust manifold. Hopefully I will be less paranoid while driving it and ultimately will sleep better at night.

That's it for this winter's improvements, it's time to drive and enjoy it once again!
IQjh9MP.jpg

Looking nice, real clean install!  Box of assorted rubber lined clamps like that really helps things out when doing this stuff.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks folks, I appreciate the positive feedback!

As a supplement to Operation: Help Me Sleep At Night, I permanently mounted my fire extinguisher to the floor in the Samurai, directly in front of the driver's seat. The seat still slides fully forward and doesn't interfere with my feet at all. I may strip the warning labels/directions, in favor of some cooler stickers at some point.

NCM5tpC.jpg

The weather over the weekend was nice, so I took the Samurai out for its first real drive of the season. This was the first real shakedown with all of the new stuff that I added over the winter (rear exhaust, exhaust manifold heat shield, and relocated fuel lines).

The first order of business was to fill up the nearly empty tank with some fresh gas. 8.711 gallons filled it:
EFxGg2q.jpg

I drove it around the local beaches and back home through the main drag. I ended up putting about 20 total miles on it. No issues to report:
0LM3VUY.jpg

In my travels, I located a habitable space that was actually smaller than the vehicle I was driving:
QzbD9hS.jpg

I also stopped by the local CARTS and Coffee and reaped the many benefits of perceived length:
jzwWYF6.jpg

That's all, until the next adventure...

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom