1980 20r Gm ignition module help

Blacknwhite71

I am swapping out my igniter for a gm setup like in this post.  Thanks to the guy who wrote this post.

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,85514.0.html?PHPSESSID=ed827601e1f6369ff56618c30a995f02

I have removed my old setup and now i have a question.  In the above post he states that you have two wires for the distributer,  one spark plug style wire coming from the coil,  and three wires from the harness.  I have that right now, my question is do you use all of the wires or pick one and blank off the other two?  All three of the wires coming from my harness will set off my test light when my key is turned but one of them is very dim.  Any advice would be appreciated, also my stock coil and igniter mount looks like it would be a great mount for my new setup the two mounting holes are almost identical to the pattern of the gm module so I may just mount it to the same bracket.

u should only have two wires coming from distibutor besides the big heavily insulated coil wire( sparkplg type wire) i think thats what u are asking he tells u what to do with them in writeup not sure if that helps

Hey guys new to this forum. I've got this set up and it works great but ever since I have got the toy running I have had a miss and it is coming through the plug wires u can watch it arc at night. I have replaced all of it with new parts everything and still have the same problem. Need advise bad  ???

Propane date=1472089822 said:
Hey guys new to this forum. I've got this set up and it works great but ever since I have got the toy running I have had a miss and it is coming through the plug wires u can watch it arc at night. I have replaced all of it with new parts everything and still have the same problem. Need advise bad  ???
Yur plug wires are bad

I did this ignition swap on my 79 20R powered pickup a while back and had the same response until I put in new wires! I am sure you have all seen plenty of pictures of the set up and wiring diagram but if I find the time I will post mine. I don?t think it matters much how much current is coming from the keyed power source as long as it is 12 volts so I would at least check that if you have a dim test light on one of the wires.

Propane said:
you may also considers going back with the original Toyota coil that is not as hot as the gm but that seems a little backwards unless you considers a lesser spark at the plug is better then a great spark through the insolation to the block

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom