1.6l conversion starter issues

Timmy390

My starter is screaming. It's not grinding on the ring gear. It sounds like it's in a bind and is loud.

Using 2 different 1.6l starters with same results. I've tried different flywheels with no difference.

The mounting holes on the LowRange adapter plate line up with the holes on the transmission. Both starters seen to mount up perfectly. No contact with the block.

And suggestions would be helpful. Bout ready to scrap this project and put the 1.3l back in. Problem after problem with this swap.

Tim

The problem was that the cylinders were filled with winter air and when you took the plugs out they refilled with spring air. Problem solved!

Ray

I'd like to know what you do to clear that egr code. 51 right?

Jim
Yes...code 51. Mine does not have the thermal sensor. I'm running the header that Roadless sells which has the cutout so exhaust can travel to the ERG (see pictures here Stainless Steel Header for 1.6 16 Valve ). The EGR was not hooked up when I bought the the donor rig and the only code was 51

I hooked up he vacuum lines and found the header gasket was on backwards causing a leak at the EGR passage in the head. I cleaned and flipped the gasket around correctly and verified backpressure on the hose at the EGR. With back pressure there I know the port from head to EGR is clear. I verified the tube (part #50 in the diagrams) is clear. I also verified I have power to the solenoid.

Verified the ERG gets hot and so does tube #50 so I have flow. Also did the "stall" test at idle (manually opening the EGT valve) and it stayed running but ROUGHLY.

Tim

I removed the EGR temp sensor from mine and plugged it with a bolt. Still have the sensor if I need it but I don't see where it would connect to. Somewhere at the ECM I would think but I didn't see any unused pins. So IDK what's going on there. Otherwise a stock setup aside from the 1.3 exhaust manifold. The EGR valve does move. Hopefully we can get this sorted out. Didn't have an EGR code before the swap but it's the 1.6 ECM now so that probably doesn't mean anything. I haven't done those other tests you tried... yet.

I've got to think it's something inherent with the swap that has been seen and cured already.

Jim

Your using the Sam harness right? They never has the temp sensor.

The temp sensor goes to pin B17 on OBD1 models sidekick ecm. Might be no signal throwing the code

Tim

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240327_123919_Drive.webp
    Screenshot_20240327_123919_Drive.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
OK, well we have to be sure of using the right diagram. On the Samurai '91-'95 it shows A16 (R/Gn) to the EGR temp sensor and B17 (Y) to the fuel injector so there's potential confusion here. '89-90 same deal. Looks to me like that doesn't change until they got to the multiport ECM for '92-'95 which I suppose you have. 16 valve I'd guess. So for me I'd have to find the A24 (Gray/Y) wire for the return. I'll try to get that hooked up in the next few days. According to the schematic my '91 should have that sensor but it did not and I've had no luck finding the matching connector, but maybe armed with the wire colors I can do better. I may have to go searching for a matching connector though or change over to Deutsch instead. I have no clue if maybe there was a variant that didn't use that sensor. Or maybe I've overlooked it somehow. But what you say about the Sammy not having it makes some sense to me. I am indeed using the '91 Sammy harness, with the later ECM. Added the one wire from the ECM to the noise suppressor.

Jim

Wasn't the temp sensor only on Cali models in the early years? On the sidekick it was not standard till 96 OBDII 94 & 95 OBDI Cali only.

Yes I'm 16v OBDI

Either way I bet the ECM is looking for it and can't see it.

Tim

I know this is not the proper thread but wanted to let Jim know about my code 51. It's not got enough back pressure to trigger the EGR transducer. I've read it needs 2psi at 2500.......I've got maybe 1psi.

Guess I'll be doing some cleaning. Could also be the headers not passing enough gas.

Tim

Maybe I should just pull the fuse and forget about it. But I suppose it will light the CEL anyway probably.
So... EGR transducer? That's really a thing huh? Where the heck is that one? I am running the 1.3L exhaust manifold and a full exhaust and stock small tailpipe so I wouldn't expect to have that problem. I haven't reinstalled the temp sensor yet, been repairing floors. But maybe this next week.

Jim

Timmy, you can apparently fool at least some of the sensors by installing a fixed resistor. Works with the EGRT on the B50 ECU, probably works other places.

Jim

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom