1.6L 16v Thermostats 160 or 180 or 195 ?

Timmy390

New to me engine.....it's a 96 or 7 or 8...came out of a obd1 1994 Sidekick with A/C but is clearly an obd2 engine.........I see in the parts listing there's an option for a 160 "optional cooling" or 180 thermostat. Did some rigs come from the factory with 160's? Was this on A/C equip rigs? Regional thing maybe? 195 seems right as Ford EFI loved to run at 210 but that's not good for these rigs so I read.

It's 70 degrees out and sunny. Running a Samurai radiator, fan, fan clutch and shroud. Went on a 15 mile ride at 60mph and my rig never got above 165/170 on a mechanical gauge. The dash gauge also is reading low. Got home, shut it off, grabbed the heat gun and sure enough, 177 degrees at the T-stat housing. I'm thinking I have a 160 stat.

While summer time driving the low temps are a good thing IMO......I'm worried about this winter when I use the rig for hunting. I need heat......and if it's not getting to 180 now...when it's 20 degrees outside it's not going to reach 150 and my old bones are going to not like that.....Also, it's going to run rich (it seems to be) if not reaching 180 right?

Were the ECM's programmed different with the "Optional Cooling" to compensate for the cooler temps?

Tim

I had a 195 in my 8v. I see no reason to go colder. Hotter is more efficient. If your cooling system can't keep the temp stable at 195 in summer a lower thermostat won't help you.

I've never heard of this "optional cooling" but the only change I can see happening is maybe switching to closed loop sooner.

Ran more tests yesterday with same results. It's running cool. Tstat housing 177 degrees with IR gun.

I guess I need to pull the tstat housing and see if there is a tstat in there and what degree it is. I have a wheeling weekend starting on Friday morning so I don't want to rip into anything cause that always leads to something more and or issues with parts (still waiting on parts ordered Wednesday, I hate rockauto).

180 appears to be OEM so I'll go with a new one and see how temps are.

Tim

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom