Write up of my on-board Air System

rduntrvldby

Hey all, I noticed there wasn't much about on-board air on this forum so I figured I'd post the write up of mine in case it might help someone....

I already had the tank and compressor from my del sol that used to have an air ride suspension system on it....next I just needed some fittings, hoses, and a place to mount the stuff.....

Here's a picture of my compressor.....
100_6304.JPG

And I got 2 of these from Lowes for 15 bucks each, which included just about everything else I needed....I also needed to pick up about 50 cents worth of bolts from tractor supply, an air guage, and a couple other misc. things....
100_6301.JPG

After considering a few things about where to mount my tank, I chose the top of the front driver-side fender, I want to try and retain the back seat for as long as I can and mounting the tank in the back would have taken up too much room...

Heres a picture of the fender when I started....
100_6277.JPG

I'm going to have to find a new place for the washer fluid...although I'm thinking of just taking it out completely as this is going to be a trail rig, not a daily driver....
100_6280.JPG

The only problem at this point was the jack holder was in the way...Since the jack didn't come with the car I wasn't too concerned about keeping it (plus I got a hi-lift jack from tractor supply today even though I just went to get bolts ;D)

I removed the jack holder with a flat head screwdriver and a big hammer...
100_6289.JPG

It came out with out too much trouble and once it was out I was able to test fit the tank...
100_6296.JPG

Perfect fit! I couldn't of asked for a better fitting tank.

Once the tank was where I wanted it I marked where the holes needed to be and bolted it to the fender...
100_6306.JPG

100_6305.JPG

Next was to mount the compressor....after much deliberation I finally decided that mounting it to the firewall in the passenger side floorboard was the best place to keep it conveniently located, as far away from the elements as it could be, easiest to plumb and wire, and most out of the way.....
100_6308.JPG

I also found these oem looking holes for I guess AC? Regardless of what they are for they are perfect for running my air lines through.
100_6309.JPG

Once I marked off where to drill the holes I mounted the compressor in to place...this was easier with a friend to help hold the other side of the bolts, *important* there are brake lines behind the firewall in this spot, be careful not to hit them! I accidentally nicked one and I'm going to have to keep an eye on it now...
100_6313.JPG

except for the hoses its almost completely hidden from sight and doesn't restrict foot room at all....
100_6314.JPG

Next was just running the hoses and hooking everything up....
100_6315.JPG

100_6317.JPG

I thought I was going to be able to finish tonight but I ended up putting too much muscle on the fitting on one of the hoses and had to go exchange it for another and by time I got back it was dark. But when its done, I'll have 25 feet of hose accessible from inside the car which is plenty to reach all 4 tires, and if I need longer I put quick disconnects on the hose from the tank to the compressor so I can open the hood and disconnect that and connect the 2 hoses together to have 50 feet of usable hose which is plenty to reach anywhere I would need it to.....I'll post up pictures of that hopefully tomorrow when I get all the odds and ends finished up....Thanks guys!

hey i have a concern after wheeling this weekend, the tank gets a lot hotter than i thought it would from engine heat, do you guys think this is going to be a problem at all?

Air it up to XX psi and check, get it good and hot then check the pressure again. If the pressure spikes outside operational pressures for the tank, then it will be a problem.

You really should have a typical compressor pressure relief valve in your system somewhere. that way you won't have to worry. pressure spikes and the valve lets a little out......

westcoaster said:
Air it up to XX psi and check, get it good and hot then check the pressure again. If the pressure spikes outside operational pressures for the tank, then it will be a problem.

You really should have a typical compressor pressure relief valve in your system somewhere. that way you won't have to worry. pressure spikes and the valve lets a little out......

i agree with that, to save yourself or someone else please put one on the tank if you don't already have one. please

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom