What engine in 99 Chevy tracker?

:bluesamf:  Local lady is posting a parting out sale for a 1999 Chevy Tracker. Did use the search engine, and googled it some, but am still not sure which engine it may have.  I haven?t looked at it yet, but I know it?s a 2 door, and looks like it has a convertible roof.  I know it will have the 1.6, but is it more likely to be an 8v or 16 valve?
Thanks, 

It?s definitely not a 8v.  I think it?s Probably a 2.0, or It could have 1.6 16v.    But if it?s a 1.6 it will be the less common version with coil packs.

Ok. I was honestly hoping it?d be the 8v,and I could convert it to a carbed  motor( I know, I know, EFI is better!) but I kinda doubt I?ve got the technical capabilities to pull that off, as great as I?m sure it is. And really can?t afford to pay someone else to do it for me. I guess I?ll take a look at it and see what I can get the whole shebang for, maybe. I have read quite a few posts on converting from carb to EFI.  I know it would be the greatest improvement over the little 1.3 I have in it now. Man, I just know know if I could pull it off. 
if it is the 2.0, how much different (or expensive) would that be from going with the 1.6 16v.

Should be a 1.6 16v motor but like he said uncommon coil on plug and a different intake manifold all together kinda a bastard motor.  I have only seen them in the 99's, probably a tough one to pull a swap with being the 2.0 chassis and 1.6 motor...

I think it's very do-able swap.   But you'll find less info about it, and need to work more details out on your own.   there is a guide for the earlier 1.6 16 valves.    It would probably be easier to get a ealier motor if you don't want to work stuff out on your own.

http://www2.izook.com/wp-content/tech-library/USR%20-%20Sidekick%20Wiring%20Diagram%20and%20Instructions%20for%2092-95%2016v.pdf

Pretty sure he could bolt all the 1.3 stuff  to the 1.6 block,  but the piston valve reliefs would be in the wrong spot.    The valve might hit the pistons or become an interference motor.    This feels like something someone would have already tried.

Finally stopped by and looked at the tracker. It?s a 2WD. 5 speed.  It is a 1.6 16 valve. The guy on site said his boss has the title, and thinks he wants $1000 for it. The details he gave me sound kinda iffy. (There about 20 other vehicles in his yard. Might be a repo yard, not really sure. ) The radiator cap as off. Vehicle was last inspected in 2016. Kinda weird, but IDK. If it?s running, and drivable, I might take it.

If you want to run a carb, you could build a manifold and control the spark with a megasquirt. You only need a cam or a crank signal and a MAP signal for it to work

If you do the swap you will still need an adapter plate and stuff and if you can swing tt or someone to do your wire harness its well worth it mine cranked right up very simple swap,I just swapped body's on mine been layed up for 6 yrs and it fired right up And the swap is well worth it

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom