What Am I Getting Myself Into?

ThEuNnAmEd1

Came up with an idea for a Calmini like axle truss/skid plate that utilizes the under axle spring perches left over from a spring over conversion.

Just wondering what I am getting into if I pass the design onto a welder/fabricator?

I am decent enough with CAD to come up with a model. I can also easily make and show measurements. Curious as to cost of materials and labor. Most importantly is this something feasible or even useful? I already have an upper axle truss from LROR but I want a skid plate too.

In the picture, the rear axle is meant to represent the backside of the front axle. 2 bolts on each side will connect to the old spring perches. And 2 bolts in the middle will attach to a bracket that uses the diff carrier bolts. This way, you can remove the skid plate with 6 bolts. 

I welcome criticism. Its how I learn. I especially want to learn more about welding and fabrication. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20160301_175854.webp
    20160301_175854.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 344
.......you would benefit from buying a mig and learning how to use it. If you can draw what you want, you can fab what you want. 
What kind of use are you designing your zuk around? DD? Crawler? Hunting rig? etc? The more we "customize" our zuks, the more narrow the band and more specific their capabilities becomes. 

For me, zuk armor [ or any fab / added mod ]  is a balance of security and performance vs added weight. Of course, added weight = less HP, and you know the rest.......
I added 8" round pipe caps cut in half as armor for the diff housings. They fit well and weld on easily. I trussed the front axle hosing also.......acceptable weight for my needs. 

A competent fabricator can make anything you wish him to, the more complicated it is, the more time it will take, the more the cost rises? How deep are yer pockets? Thats where doing your own fab work really shines. You make what you want, the way you want it, and your labor is free. 

Yea, get a mig and practice on scrap. Most of the money you will spend having someone else do it will be spent on labor. Its really not that hard once you get all the tools you need and can mess around with them. worst case scenario is you gotta get the grinder out and do it over. I think your designs are viable but may take some time to produce.

I almost picked up an ok'ish MIG for $75 once. My cousin has a decent one at his place that he doesn't know how to use lol so maybe I will make the measurements, the design and the cuts. Then I will head over there and we can both try our hand at welding it up. 

If anything I will probably do a rather simple version first. Then I can add to it later. If the design at least comes out good I can provide it to you all so you can try it for yourself. 

fab skills aside... the issue with the truss/axle skid is just ground clearance. they work as intended but you sacrifice ground clearance going his route. ive gotten hung up enough without one that i chose to shave/armor plate the axle housing and put a truss on the top side.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom