Trail etiquette

beekiller

Administrator
Staff member
As a frequent trail rider, observation suggests a decline in basic trail etiquette. Frankly, this correlates as basic human decency. These are simple, easy to follow rules. They make the trail experience better for everyone, including yourself.

Using Courteous Trail Etiquette​

• Ride only on designated and signed ORV trails, routes, and areas.
  • Remember that designated trails are open to other users. Be courteous to other riders and hikers on the trail.
  • Be aware of two-way traffic, and stay to the right.
  • If you meet bikers, horses, and hikers coming from the opposite direction, slow down, pull over, and yield the right-of-way.
  • Always yield to uphill traffic. Uphill traffic may have difficulty starting again if it stops.
  • Slow down when someone is passing you.
  • If you stop to talk to others on the trail, be polite and remove your helmet. A helmet masks your features and can be intimidating.
  • Be safe and considerate when you stop along the trail. Never stop side-by-side, in the middle of the trail, at the crest of a hill, or around a corner on the trail. Also, never block an intersection. Remember to shut off your engine.

Please pay special attention to the last. NEVER stop in the middle of the trail. Doing so only creates congestion, and once again, shows basic disrespect to everyone else, because fuck everyone else, right? I see this often and is the root of the vast majority of "misunderstandings" encountered in the wild. It's not hard. Find a spot on the side. Allow others to pass.

Here's an additional tidbit. Work on your shit prior to trail day. It took days/weeks/months planning to arrive. Therefore it isn't as though your attendance was a shocking revelation. Fix your shit before.

So it broke after your arrival? Sure, it happens. Can happen to anyone. That sux for you. Don't make it suck for everyone else. Do the humanly decent thing. Sit this one out, and let everyone else enjoy their day.

Don't be THAT guy.

Seems like the on road driving has come to the offroad. Driving since covid has just gotten crazy. Twice this past week I stopped for a yellow light and had people go around me through the red. people pulling out of parking lots so far out you need to go into the other lane around them. Highway speeds here are nuts. 1st lanes doing 65. Jim

Here's an additional tidbit. Work on your shit prior to trail day. It took days/weeks/months planning to arrive. Therefore it isn't as though your attendance was a shocking revelation. Fix your shit before.

So it broke after your arrival? Sure, it happens. Can happen to anyone. That sux for you. Don't make it suck for everyone else. Do the humanly decent thing. Sit this one out, and let everyone else enjoy their day.

Don't be THAT guy.
Ahhhh the old John Molesky days. I’d never seen someone have soo much broken going to an event. Car tires on a dually. 1 flat inside tire. Fuel filter clog from lack of maintenance, then the entire samurai fell apart.

Ahhhh the old John Molesky days. I’d never seen someone have soo much broken going to an event. Car tires on a dually. 1 flat inside tire. Fuel filter clog from lack of maintenance, then the entire samurai fell apart.
He's hardly the only one. Though to your point, offenders tend to fall under the repeat category. 😂

He's hardly the only one. Though to your point, offenders tend to fall under the repeat category. 😂
I admit most of my stuff will never be perfect, but I've never brought a rig to an event broken and begged for someone else to fix it. MORE THAN ONCE.

Also, to add one of my pet peeves. Following too close while trail riding. This isn't the interstate and you are not a dodge ram.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom