Toyota Disc Break Conversion

RockComa

Several of you wanted info on the disc conversions for toyota so here is a list of parts you can use. I don't have part numbers b/c of abuse on the trail I just snagged mine from a junkyard. Keep in mind it doesnt have to be this exact year or what not this is just what I used for my tacoma 8.4 conversion. This is mainly for toyota but ive added details for the sammi guys as well

Chevy 1500 (Z71 extended cab) front 4wd rotors ( may have to have centers milled out to fit around hub section of axle. I had to do this for my tacoma 8.4. Other rotors such as older ifs toy 4wd rotors and I belive fj80 rotors will work as well can't remember off hand but if you'd like to know get up with me and ill let you know.

85 Monte Carlo Calipers ( driveline e-brake required to have e-brake function. Cadillax El Dorade calipers will work as well b/c they have the built in e-brake feature so existing e-brake will work.

85 Monte Carlo pads.

85 chevy 4wd front brake lines to fit the monte calipers

Stock master cylinder. ( toying with the bpv bracket if applicable or switching to fj80 master cylinder may or may not be required to prevent spongy pedal. For you sammi guys you may be able to use the toyota master cylinders since the stock zuk may not be enough to handle the pressure. 89-95 V6 toys have a larger bore than the 4cylinder incase you find for whatever reason your toy master cylinder isnt enough if you use it.

Custom mounting brackets for calipers.

Anything else feel free to contact me and ill add to this as more b/c available or if i feel necessary.

I have just finished this rebuild on my rear toy, caddy eldo calipers and 1990 z71 front rotors. turned out the centerd to fit. I noticed while installing the calipers with the used pads i had it was a tite fit but I guess they will wear..

STUFF I pulled from the POR

use the GM front hoses and the standard hose bolt . then adapt to hard line
hard lines are a real pain even the new disk brake ford rear disk brakes are done that way.

I used hose's off of chevy truck front calipers from various years from the yard.
and anotherI used a hose off a 79 Chevette front. Have to do a little file work on the banjo end but it's a nice short hose and it has the correct 3/16's fitting on the other end that should connect right up to your hard line. You can not hook a hard line directly to the caliper because the caliper does not have the mating end for the flare. It will never seal. You would have to find an adaptor that would thread into the caliper and seal on one side and then the other side would have the correct flare fitting.

And another

USe the rubber flex hose NAPA p/n# 4136797 to the caliper

Has anybody swapped out their master cylinders with toy cylinders?
If so, did you use the stock Sammy booster?  Or did you have to swap both booster and cylinder?

(we have a Sidekick on FJ80's and desparately need more braking power and are trying to find a cheaper solution than buying a FJ booster AND MC.)

Any adivce anybody can give would be greatly appreciated.

~Nathan

i swapped in a m/c from a 4wd firebird. the only and i repeat only thing required to mount is the slotting of the mounting holes. you use the stock samy rod.

Before i did this mod, the brake peddle went to the floor on the first pump then went hard on the scond pump.  i hve the 4wd set up on my sami as well.

Sean,EH

longzuk said:
i swapped in a m/c from a 4wd firebird. the only and i repeat only thing required to mount is the slotting of the mounting holes. you use the stock samy rod.

Before i did this mod, the brake peddle went to the floor on the first pump then went hard on the scond pump.? i hve the 4wd set up on my sami as well.

Sean,EH
don't forget to plug the small hole on the bottom of the m/c or you will end up with a vacum leak

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom