time for a real bumper?

colts_zuki

well who likes the flemsy piece of crap stock bumper? I know i dont so i decided to make a cool stong custom bumper.
supplies needed:
2x6 rectangular tubing. (mine is 50.5" wide)
welder
some sort of tool to cut, like a plasma cutter
grinder
few pieces of thick scrap metal
spray paint

To get started rip off your old front bumper witch isnt to hard. Once you have your stock bumper off take electrical tape and tape off the ends of you turns signal wires so they wont tuch and fry your stuff if you have so start it.

next take your gonna have to fabricate some brackets that will connect your rectangular tubing to the front cross member and the body mounts. this will be tricky but your gonna have to fingure out a strong way to do it. Once you fab your brackets then bolts it to the body mount and the bottom of the bracket welds to the round tubing crossmember. Then it will look like this

content

finished product looks like this.

content

Except i trimed and capped the ends. I suggest that you use the rectangular tubbing method over a double round tube bumper. There is alot of lighting, winching and tow hook options you do with it.

If you want a brush guard on it for cool looks and to protect you grill i have an idea for you. A friend of mine gave me a 3 bar front bumper for a pick-up. I chopped off the third bar so it would be two. Then cut out the flat pieces on the bottom at almost a right angle so it would sit on the big bumper we just talked about next it got welded, looks like this:

content

before i attached every thing i had to grind off the old crummy paint till everything was shinny chrome. then primer and rattle can semi-gloss painted it. Finished product looks like this:

content

content

Attachments

• fbmount.webp
    fbmount.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,815
  • plain.webp
    plain.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,799
  • fbump2ts.webp
    fbump2ts.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 3,719
  • fbump3.webp
    fbump3.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,700
Joe S. said:
WOW! you did that?

man you got skills! looks good! [thumbsup]
Well thankyou, my pops helped me with the welding but i designed,cut,grinded, placed and painted that sucker myself.

Any one else have comments and/or questions?

Here's the One I designed for the Front Bumper:

Right_Front_Veiw_41104.JPG

Rear Bumper:

Right_Rear_Veiw_41104.JPG

Front Bumper is set up for towing with reciever for installing my 9000# Warn Winch.

Tow Setup:

Samurai_Tow_Setup_72003.JPG

KC7USZ said:

Rear Bumper:

Front Bumper is set up for towing with reciever for installing my 9000# Warn Winch.

Tow Setup:

When you tow your zuk like that what do you do about the front wheels, lock the steering wheel? tail shafts?

Suzuki OffRoader said:
When you tow your zuk like that what do you do about the front wheels, lock the steering wheel? tail shafts?

Turn ignition key to UNLOCKED or ON position with the tranny? in third gear w/transfer case in neutral and the Front Hubs in the UNLOCKED position without any other modifications, although if I was going to tow it regularly I would consider installing a battery disconnect switch on the POS Battery Cable.

I've towed from Port Townsend, WA on the Northeast corner of Olympic Peninsula to just outside Astoria, OR for Elk Season and back home with no problems.

My brother has towed his Samurai from this area the same way on at least three different occasions to Yuma, AZ, and Bahia, Mexico behind a Ford F-350? and as recent as last winter all the way back to the Washington, D.C. area from Arizona and then back to here behind his Trek Safari Motorhome without any problems.? This year he upgraded his toad to a Suzuki Grand Vitara and is towing the Grand Vitara the same way without any problems.?

Sorry for the delay in answering.

KC7USZ said:

Rear Bumper:

Tow Setup:

I like that rear one, would u fab me up one and if so how much would it cost?

Whitfield said:
Looks good!  I've seen some store bought bumpers that would not compare.  [smiley=thumb.gif]

Thanks!. All the metal i use is scrap. I also did a rear bumper im thinking about putting up a how to on. I just need tow hook points and a trailer hitch. The thing i like about my rear bumper is that theres only one light set. So i have blinkers,running lights,and brake lights in one. Thanks again for the comments!!

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom