Tach questions

Damifino

The Unlikely Overlander
I apologize if this has been covered. I did a quick search and did not see an answer. I have a 1990 without a factory tach and a vw 1.6 turbo diesel. I wanted to add an aftermarket tach. I currently have a stock samurai alternator but will be going to a gm alternator later. Can a tach be hooked to a the sami alternator? What all is needed. Thanks for any info

I thought the tech was hooked to the coil not the alternator.
1703088677599.webp

You can add a stator tap by soldering a wire on one of the stator points inside your Samurai alternator. You have to split the case to access your stator. You can also run a Sidekick alternator that has stator points you can access with the little nuts on the points. You just screw a tab on the end.
What ever Suzuki alternator you run, use your stator wire you made through a digital converter for a stock tach or aftermarket tach.

Auto meter also sells a tack with an alternator pick-up coil if you want to run their tach off any brand alternator.

For the GM alternator (like a CS130), it already has a stator tap you can use. PIN: P Run your "P" wire through the digital converter and adjust for your tach reading.

You will need a way to measure your RPM to set your tach to the proper RPM's and adjust with your digital converter.
I just use a laser gauge with reflector tape.

Acmeadapters sells digital converters if you want to go that route.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom