T-Case Shifter Sheet Replacement

jmdave69

I know most of you already know but hey why not my write up on bushing repair W/ pics!!!

First remove the (just unsrew it) ball and the boot plate and boot (4 phillips head screws (try to use the larger tip one the smaller may cause damage to the screws)
?
1.JPG

2.JPG

ok now it comes in handy to have small hands reach in side and grasp the clip at the botton of the (boot) dust cover to the T-case and slide up (NOTE the drive shaft looks to be in the way but it is not)

3.JPG

4.JPG

and once a gain it comes in handy to have small hands press down and using a flat tip screw driver assist the shaft retainer counter clockwise and it will pop up with the shaft retainer tensioner (spring)

5.JPG

55.JPG

ok the pic is a little blurry but this part is not hard to do at all just pop the shaft up and out

6.JPG

now using a flat tip or small fingers just lift the old bushing out (WARNING enusre you are care full not to get small particles inside of the t-case while doing this) remove all particles that you can with the flat tip or your fingers

this is what youll have to deal with once the bushing comes out

8.JPG

7.JPG

preussure will make this happen so be real carefull

old_bushing.JPG

now replace new bushing applying some pressure to get it around the shaft aligners. ENSURING THE CONCAVE PORTION IS UP

new_bushing.JPG

9.JPG

now once that is replaced just go in reverse and thats all she wrote...

just had to put my part in as you can tell it was about to blow up? ;D

hope this helps someone

As far as the particles go, it would be a good idea to pull the drain plug and pour fresh oil down the shifter hole to flush it out.

dschwab9 said:
As far as the particles go, it would be a good idea to pull the drain plug and pour fresh oil down the shifter hole to flush it out.

Which fluid would you use and how much?

Manual transmission Fluid?

Use 80W-90 or 75W-90 gear lube.  Don't need a lot, just pour a little in and look underneath to see if you have clean fluid running out.

thanks for info. I had just asked what every one meant when they kept saying shifter sheet, as I have never heard anything in a tranny called a shifter sheet. my sami needs this part as I am always very careful when I shift into 4wheel because it locks up and I have taken the top off twice to get it back in gear.  thanks again

Mine was pretty much gone when I got mine, so I pulled the old one out and stuck the shifter back in and moved it around and shifted into and out of 4wd with no trouble, shifter sheets are over rated! I finally did replace it with a poly one from RRO though, feels much better now? ;D

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for damage to your vehicle if you try to shift your case without a sheet...

I've just gotta say, this thread saved my behind today.  My t-case stuck in neutral while I was out riding around in the woods today.  Fortunately I had a new shift sheet in the glove compartment that I just hadn't gotten around to installing yet and fortunately I had already read this thread.  My little excursion was an impromptu endeavour, and as such I hadn't brought a tool kit.  I still managed to pull it off with my Gerber multi-tool and the handle from my hydraulic floor jack.  Somehow during the install I must have jammed the shifter up somehow and it wouldn't shift at all.  After a desperate call to sammi_davis for wisdom of the samurai master, I tore back into it again.  I had to use the jack handle as a drift/punch and the shifter as a mallet and tapped on some of the shift linkage to get everything loosened up, which was no problem.  After putting the shifter back in again everything was good to go.  The hardest part of the whole thing was getting that blasted little boot back on.  I'm still going to have to go crawl back underneath it to get that squeeze clamp back on right.  Serves me right for A. not doing it earlier and  B. for not taking some tools with me. 

pretty much the same, but i didnt spend 15 bucks on this just .88 cents and 20 min

im posting pics of the process

buy this washers at lowes and just cut the edges a lil to make it fit in the transfer hole

what i discover is.... my transfer need immediatly cares :o

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 727
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 834
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    27 KB · Views: 901
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 823
  • 6.webp
    6.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 709
Zuki-murai said:
pretty much the same, but i didnt spend 15 bucks on this just .88 cents and 20 min

im posting pics of the process

buy this washers at lowes and just cut the edges a lil to make it fit in the transfer hole

what i discover is.... my transfer need immediatly cares :o
Ya, I think it might! lol Let us know how this works, do you have any pics of it installed?

[black_s]
Yep, I used these instructions to replace mine in my 87 zuk.  I used the poly type as pictured (orange), and it works perfectly now. You can purchase this at www.samuraiparts.com
I still carry a tool box, and the tool to fix just in case. 

zukmike said:
[black_s]
Yep, I used these instructions to replace mine in my 87 zuk.  I used the poly type as pictured (orange), and it works perfectly now. You can purchase this at www.samuraiparts.com
I still carry a tool box, and the tool to fix just in case. 
You should put a brass one in then you won't need a spare ;)

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom