Swapping in 1.6 8v and keeping it carbureted

I am in the middle of swapping a 1.6 8v into my 1986 samurai. I want to keep it carbureted though. I attached the intake manifold from the 1.3 onto the 1.6 engine but for the life of me I cannot now figure out where to run the gas line and the return gas line. The place these attached on the 1.3 does not exist on the 1.6 8v. I am sure this is an easy solve I am just stumped. Thanks in advance.

Not done an 8v swap but.......

My understanding is the 8v head has no provision for the Sam fuel pump. You must run an electric fuel supply pump and adjustable regulator. No need for a return line. I assume your running a weber and it has no provision for a return on the carb nor do electric fuel pumps have a return provision

Tim

Not done an 8v swap but.......

My understanding is the 8v head has no provision for the Sam fuel pump. You must run an electric fuel supply pump and adjustable regulator. No need for a return line. I assume your running a weber and it has no provision for a return on the carb nor do electric fuel pumps have a return provision

Tim
So I have already purchased a low pressure fuel pump with a return built into it. I am also running a weber carb. Are you saying I should run the fuel line directly into the carb? Where would I do that?

The weber carb can only handle fuel pressure between 2.5 - 3.5lbs of fuel pressure. Anything more will overpower the needle and seat thus flooding the carb.

With that said assuming your utilizing the stock fliter......run a line from the filter to the fuel pump inlet. From fuel pump outlet to regular inlet. From regular outlet to carb inlet. If you have a fuel pump with return, then it returns to the tank.

Tim

The weber carb can only handle fuel pressure between 2.5 - 3.5lbs of fuel pressure. Anything more will overpower the needle and seat thus flooding the carb.

With that said assuming your utilizing the stock fliter......run a line from the filter to the fuel pump inlet. From fuel pump outlet to regular inlet. From regular outlet to carb inlet. If you have a fuel pump with return, then it returns to the tank.

Tim
My fuel pump is within that range. This is really helpful. Thanks!

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If not you may need a fuel pump regulator or a different pump. They are not all the same. See if you have gas dribbling down the throat of the carb with the key on and the engine not running.
Also the EFI sammys like my '91 don't have a fuel pump lobe on the cam so when I used that head in the '87 the pump didn't work and I had to add an electric one. I kept the mechanical pump, plumbed as original and now it acts as a pressure regulator since it has a return line and a vent line. The vent line doesn't really do anything but if the diaphragm ruptures it can help prevent flooding the crankcase with gas. Much more complicated than it needs to be if the carb can handle the full pressure of the electric pump but I had a new one and no other use for it so I kept it and let it do half of it's job.

The filter back by the tank is a good location for the electric pump. Many come with a pre-filter. Powered it with the rear window defogger fuse. Fuse box is easy to remove.

Jim

I run a Weber 38 DGES on the 1.6 TBI intake on my 1.6 8v. I use a Mr. Gasket (#42S) fuel pump mounted close to the original '87 fuel tank. I do not use a pressure regulator, but instead run a Jeep CJ style fuel filter (FRAM G3499) near the carb, with the fuel tank return line hooked to the return barb on the filter. I find this provides the ideal fuel pressure (around 2 psi) for my setup. I've ran this setup for over a decade with no problems.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom