Swapping a speedo/tach from 88.5 (carb) to a non tach 94 cluster (EFI)

norba_racer

This was easier than I thought it would be.  I took my time, but could be done again in an hour or so.  Make sure your donor has square vents if your putting it in a EFI Sammy.

First remove the two star bolts that hold up the steering column and drop the steering down so the instrument custer will clear the hazard button.
p2190095.JPG

Next remove the two screws on top of the dash and the two under the dash that hold the cluster in place.  Pull the cluster out and unplug the wiring harness.  Once you have the thing out compare the two.  The 88.5 is on top in the pics.  Notice the wires coming out of the 88.5 cluster.  They are attached to the speedo and are for the check engine reset switch under the dash.  I didn't connect these to anything in my sammy.
p2190084.JPG

P2190086.JPG

Next you will need to remove both speedos and swap the vehicle speed sensor from your efi speedo to the donor carb speedo.  If you take them both apart and lay them side by side you will see the difference.  It is a small circuit board with a long shiny resistor tucked up next to the speedo wheel and some metal pieces.  The brass on the 88.5 will need to be removed to accommidate the VSS bracket.  (see pics)

The first picture shows the difference between them and what needs to be swapped.  The second picture shows the VSS removed.  Easy to do.
swap.JPG

p2190094.JPG

Now put everything back together and install your new tach cluster.  Oh yeah now is your chance to remove the buzzer.  It is the black box on the back of the cluster and it is even labeled "buzzer".  I swapped mine and hooked it back up.  I sometimes for get to turn stuff off or to grab my keys.

Here is the finished product and I hope someone can get some good from this how to.
p2190096.JPG

I'm feeling a bit confused here...
Does this swap only work this way if you are swapping an 88.5 or newer tach cluster into another 88.5 or newer vehicle without tach?  If so, has anybody swapped a pre-88.5 tach cluster into a 88.5 or newer vehicle?  I really need to just get off my butt and figure this out myself, but I would definately appreciate any info someone might have.

jewellboy said:
I'm feeling a bit confused here...
Does this swap only work this way if you are swapping an 88.5 or newer tach cluster into another 88.5 or newer vehicle without tach?? If so, has anybody swapped a pre-88.5 tach cluster into a 88.5 or newer vehicle?? I really need to just get off my butt and figure this out myself, but I would definately appreciate any info someone might have.

Tach clusters before 88.5 or the round vented dash will not fit in Samurais built after 88. 

Ok now with the square vented dashes built 88.5 and after......there is a difference only in the computer VSS for EFI Samurais.  So the VSS needs to be swapped from the EFI speedo to the carbed speedo with tach.  The VSS is a input for the on board computer.  Both speedos are very simular, but isn't a direct drop in.

You don't need to worry about it if swapping from 90 to 95 samis.  I think 90 is the 1st year for EFI.

HTH

oh I forgot to mention that I moved the speedo needle to 5mph when stopped.  This has my speed dead on from 10 to 35 and only off by 2.5 mph over 40.  ;D  It works with 31s and stock gears!

thanks, this actually helped allot baecause i had to put in a speedo cable but couldnt figure out how to get the cluster out without taking off the wheel

rocknzuk said:
anybody want to write on for the pre 88.5 models i would love a tach

nice write up ;)
If yours is a round vent dash all you have to do is get a tach cluster out of a round vent dash and just swap it out. Its to easy to do.

[black_s]uper article. I have one question, I just replaced the whole motor last month and I would like to keep the speedo/odometer to keep record of my mileage better. I could just take note of the new Odo. reading and subtract the mileage on the new motor, but I would like to keep the orginal reading. Is it possible to keep the original Odometer?

Zukisam said:
[black_s]uper article. I have one question, I just replaced the whole motor last month and I would like to keep the speedo/odometer to keep record of my mileage better. I could just take note of the new Odo. reading and subtract the mileage on the new motor, but I would like to keep the orginal reading. Is it possible to keep the original Odometer?

From what I remember the speedos were different and could not be whiched.  You might be able to tamper with it and get it to the same milage as your old one.  Not sure on that.  Also if you are going spoa or already there it will not matter because the odometer will be off anyway.

Why In Gods name Would You Want To Take Your Tacho Out[smiley=eek2.gif] ???

Do you have an auto as i would understand then  [smiley=headscratch.gif] [thumbsdown]

Zukisam said:
I would like to keep the speedo/odometer

When I bought a used cluster from Petroworks they offered to set the odo to whatever I wanted.  They said it would take a couple of minutes.  I have spent hours foolin' with odos, and couldn't figger out any quick or easy way.  In my experience, which hasta be much less than PWorks, you will lose the reading on the odo when you remove it.  But I guess there is a way to set it to whatever, if I can find out what it is.

[quote author=norba_racer]
Also if you are going spoa or already there it will not matter because the odometer will be off anyway.[/quote]
Don't you mean that SPOA with larger tires?  The SPOA itself doesn't change the gearing or odo reading.

I don't think THIS question has been asked yet:

Can I put a speed sensor froma '91 Sidekick into my EARLY '88 speedo?  I am putting '91 sidekick EFI onto this '88 engine.  If not... how can I address the need for the speed sensor?  I don't think the later EFI speedo itself will fit into the '88 cluster.

I put a speed sensor from a 92 samurai onto an 87 odo.  I believe that the trackick SS's are very similiar to the sammy ones.......So my guess would be that you can.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom