SUZUKI SAMURAI HONDA FUEL INJECTION

Roninmane

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum really nice to have a whole community available for help when trouble shooting any problems,  anyways I'm here trying to bring back an old topic.  I have been wondering online where I came across a handful of samurais with Honda fuel injection systems on the stock samurai with an adapter plate , the system consists of the honda throttle body ,intake manifold, injectors, ecu, wiring, and distributor I heard people say its impossible or it wont work but believe me these people are putting TURBOS on these tiny lil motors and bringing out more than 250hp , so my question is where can we get this system available for us I know theres a couple of things you need to do like tune the ecu and stuff! Anyways I hope I can get some good feed back from you all let's make it possible!!😎 :bluesamf: 

I believe you, I've seen far crazier things done too. If I recall correctly, [member=5236]Fastspec2[/member]? makes the adapter plates, or maybe it's just for the GSXR carbs. Tylor from LowRange used a Honda intake, but was still running the old VW CIS system. On this page here you can see where he adapted the intake to the old 1.3. Later, he swapped to a G13B engine with microsquirt.

Tylor's build thread with Honda stuff

Lot's of the Puerto Rican guys are running these setups. I'll be flat out honest with you though. In my (non)professional opinion, if you don't have experience building custom stuff and figuring out electrical and lots of random little issues that will rack your brain, it's not the build for you haha. Another one of my unpopular opinions is that, unless you are planning on going fast, it's not that much benefit for a Samurai. I think you'd be better off just swapping to a bigger NA engine for a little more oomph, especially for low end torque.

Hello thanks for the feed back I really appreciate it! I'm still looking forward as to doing this build in reality I'm not to bad when it comes to making my own custom stuff or figuring out small issues I've had hondas in the past and I can really say it is very easy to work on these and now its even easier with Such computers they have made so you can customize your own software with the ecu these companies provide in fact I am planning on keeping the original 1.3 but I would like to have that extra hp when coming across steep hills plus the fuel injection makes up for the old carbs I was thinking of going with a 8v 1.6 but the  again the system will work with either motor I've always had love for the stock 1.3 but I can imagine the improvement in drivability when it comes to having the honda/ samurai components! Keep those comments coming !

I'm huge fan of fuel injection.   But i don't think you're going pick up a ton power with a Honda intake on stock motor.  I think the stock carb really did a pretty good job managing AFR, and in the end all the air still has to go through the same head.   EFI would have better  cold starting and idle quality though

I put in a 1.3 SOHC from a suzuki swift and a megasquirt ECU.  Even with the 16v head i don't notice any more low end power.   It does have a more power on the highway, but again 16v head.

The reason I believe in this setup is because there is a injector for each cylinder with the throttle body and fuel rail you will obviously need a bigger fuel pump but also a fuel pressure regulator think about the difference plus Suzuki 1.3 block and head are made to withstand a huge amount of heat breathing is not an issue stock head and block are capable of running with a much better fuel system which has always been a small issue with samurai, the suzuki Jimny from japan ja11 is a fuel injected turbo 3 cylinder it's a perfect setup it was just not introduced to the U.S due to some regulations .

[member=24970]Roninmane[/member]  I like the idea of your project with EFI. The only thing that I would ask is for you to use a little punctuation in your replies. The occasional period would help to understand the thought process that you are trying to convey.
Good luck with your project and welcome to the forum. I look forward to following your build! [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

I apologize for the punctuation theres times I'm at work so it gets really hard for me to get on and reply properly I just throw it out there lol. I'll keep you in mind thanks for the FEEDBACK 

Roninmane date=1612818638 said:
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum really nice to have a whole community available for help when trouble shooting any problems,  anyways I'm here trying to bring back an old topic.  I have been wondering online where I came across a handful of samurais with Honda fuel injection systems on the stock samurai with an adapter plate , the system consists of the honda throttle body ,intake manifold, injectors, ecu, wiring, and distributor I heard people say its impossible or it wont work but believe me these people are putting TURBOS on these tiny lil motors and bringing out more than 250hp , so my question is where can we get this system available for us I know theres a couple of things you need to do like tune the ecu and stuff! Anyways I hope I can get some good feed back from you all let's make it possible!!😎 :bluesamf:

You're probably thinking of old OBD1 Honda stuff.  It's impressive what people have done with those ECUs to make them more tuneable, but honestly I don't think it's worth the time and money spent.  If you're decent with electronics and can build your own stuff, look into Speeduino or Megasquirt.  The hardware is much more modern and adaptable, and the software is free (there are paid versions with more analysis tools if you want).

Using Honda intake parts isn't a bad idea, although there isn't really anything special about them vs. anything else.  You just need something that will flow well enough for a 1.3L with only 2 valves per cylinder, which really is not very much.  The biggest factor really would be port spacing and what reasonably fits in the space.

As for ignition; distributors are totally outdated now.  If you can rig up a 36-1 toothed wheel on the crank pulley and put a crank sensor next to it, you can run wasted spark with a dual coil and never have to worry about replacing a distributor cap, rotor, or whole distributor again.  Go one step further with a cam sensor and now you can have full sequential fuel injection and one coil per cylinder.

C|

Key factor here for me is budget , hp gains, and simplicity I dont want to build a fuel injected system for the samurai and brake the bank so megasquirt is out the picture for me.  For a while I have tried many things to get where I want my samurai  from small modifications to my Suk like using aharley carburetor but I'm not yet satisfied. I want to have something where I can keep my original 1.3 block and head but yet be able to keep 70mph on the highway without feeling like my rig is gona fall apart lol or even on a cold start who wouldnt want a samurai with a nice efi system .So I been doing a little bit more research on this fuel injection system and I gotta say it's around my speed lol. As for the build I'm going to need . 1 custom adapter plate, honda d series manifold and throttle body ,modify honda distributor to fit In samurai  housing,  hond ecu wiring and injectors and that's it!  And I can get most of those parts at a junk yard for a very cheap price.

Good project for someone who has the means and capabilities. Wish you the best and at this point we as zuk users are dependent on the ingenuity of fellow zukkers to keep these going.

There?s a lot of things I would like to do to my zuk to make it more reliable. Old people like me are more prone to enjoy tinkering with a toy but due to other constraints will shy away from major modifications.

I enjoy the simplicity and would like to keep as stock as possible so I don?t have to remember what part I put where. Spares are limited or costly  so being able to get something to keep it going is almost a necessity.

Thanks for having that interest  and thinking outside that magical box.

Wish you luck.

Ray

Roninmane date=1613053525 said:
Key factor here for me is budget , hp gains, and simplicity I dont want to build a fuel injected system for the samurai and brake the bank so megasquirt is out the picture for me.  For a while I have tried many things to get where I want my samurai  from small modifications to my Suk like using aharley carburetor but I'm not yet satisfied. I want to have something where I can keep my original 1.3 block and head but yet be able to keep 70mph on the highway without feeling like my rig is gona fall apart lol or even on a cold start who wouldnt want a samurai with a nice efi system .So I been doing a little bit more research on this fuel injection system and I gotta say it's around my speed lol. As for the build I'm going to need . 1 custom adapter plate, honda d series manifold and throttle body ,modify honda distributor to fit In samurai  housing,  hond ecu wiring and injectors and that's it!  And I can get most of those parts at a junk yard for a very cheap price.

Oh I see, you aren't even going to tune it.  With stock D16 parts the fueling and timing will be a bit off but might get you close enough.  The good thing is that later on you can just add a better ECU if (when?) the stock one doesn't cut it.  You'll be leaving gains on the table by not doing any tuning though.

Megasquirts are still a decent value for what they are but they aren't the cheapest option anymore.  That's why I mentioned Speeduino.  You can get a functional ECU for well under $200 if you're willing to build your own harness and make an enclosure.

https://wtmtronics.com/product/ua4c-for-speeduino-va3-seawolf/

C|

Just so u all know I am going to attempt to do this build with at least 1,000 dollars as a budget !! Viva la Samurai 😎 :bluesamf:

Just picked up this 1988 Suzuki Jimny with a G13BA swap and full Honda fuel injection (ECU, intake, harness, etc).

Attachments

• IMG20230711170510.webp
    IMG20230711170510.webp
    392 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG20230711170434.webp
    IMG20230711170434.webp
    429.8 KB · Views: 89
Just picked up this 1988 Suzuki Jimny with a G13BA swap and full Honda fuel injection (ECU, intake, harness, etc).

Welcome! :alien:

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom