Stupid easy painting question.

Polie

So iD10T error here. 

What's the most efficient way to paint a roll cage and frame? Seems like spray would be wasteful versus roll or brush. I'm planning on using either a military paint desert tan or krylon spray paint. 

And turtles are stupid! 

Polie date=1583356525 said:
So iD10T error here.

What's the most efficient way to paint a roll cage and frame? Seems like spray would be wasteful versus roll or brush. I'm planning on using either a military paint desert tan or krylon spray paint.

I hate spray paint.  It's more expensive and you end up wasting half of it painting everything around what you're trying to paint.

I'm rather fond of Benjamin Moore Super Spec DTM.  It's a bit pricey and takes a LONG time to dry; but it's very durable and hard when dry, doesn't need a primer, and you can get it mixed to literally any color (the store should be able to color match an existing piece).  It won't give you a super smooth automotive style finish, but for frames and roll cages who cares?

C|

That sounds perfect! Working on a SMALL 2 seater buggy that will be trashed-n-crashed. Lol. Still working on the powerplant. 

Spray paint. I painted my entire rig with the krylon camo years ago, and it's still holding up good. If you don't care about it looking absolutely perfect, just rattle can it.

beekiller date=1583366821 said:
Awesome! Ya know we want pictars. ;)

It's just a lil mud buggy and woods rompin. Building it off an old kart frame. Still deciding on a built gy6 bored out or something else. Considering a large 2 stroke out of an old Polaris snow machine. Currently gy6 is getting some head work and will see if that's good enough or if more power is needed

Depending on how much you're painting, a spray can with trigger gun is going to be faster and a lot less hand work imo. Depending on the bar thickness, you may consider using different tips for the can. For example, a fat cap tip could probably cover 50% of a bar in one pass. Food for thought.

Polie date=1583356525 said:
So iD10T error here.

What's the most efficient way to paint a roll cage and frame? Seems like spray would be wasteful versus roll or brush. I'm planning on using either a military paint desert tan or krylon spray paint.

And turtles are stupid!

Hey, watch it Coffee boy.....

I have painted a few off road rigs with the Professional Rustoleum mixed with 20% paint thinner rolled and brushed on with soft foam implements. The flat black coated well, held up well, and looked great.

K Sparky said:
I have painted a few off road rigs with the Professional Rustoleum mixed with 20% paint thinner rolled and brushed on with soft foam implements. The flat black coated well, held up well, and looked great.
I've done similar with flat Rustoleum. However, I sprayed it thinning it slightly with acetone and add Tractor Supply hardener. The hardener gives the flat a somewhat  more satin or semi gloss finish but more than it substantially speeds up the drying time which can be surprisingly long and it does make it harder.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom