Sidekick radiator install

bigzook

This is for all you guys who either have cooling problems or would just like a little extra cooling.

? ?For a while now my samurai had been running warm in the summer. I treid alot of things to fix this, but finally I decided that I needed a bigger radiator. I had been putting it off for quite a while. So when I picked up a sidekick rollling chassis it happend to come with the radiator. I started looking at it and thought it would be a good swap.
? ?
? ?The kick radiator is about half again as big as my stock zook one.
sizecamparo-small.jpg

? ? The insatll was actully pretty easy. I used the stock brackets from the Kick. All you have to do is grind a little off of the bottom and lower sides of the brackets where they come in contact with the frame. I then welded those brackets to the frame. I had to place the bottom a little back twards the motor as teh kick radiator is much wider and hit the steering box. I then leaned the top twards the grill to make it fit better. I also had to cut off the little bracket that holds the overflow bottle and fab up a small piece to hold that.
bracket1small.jpg

bracket2-samll.jpg

? ? ?I know in these pictures its hard to see the brackets but its the best I could do. (diddnt think about a write up until after I installed it). The only problem I can see with this install is you would pretty much have to use an electric fan. I used one anyway so it wasnt an issue. Although with the bigger radiator I was able to step up from a 12" to a 16" fan. It is installed on the front of the radiator to save on space.

? ? ?Over all I am very pleased with the performance and ease of this install. I had to turn my thermostat for the fan up quite a bit. The temp stays right around the halfway mark with the fan only coming on at traffic lights and under sustained high rpm (like5,000 and above) runs. And this was on a 87 degree day.
radiatorsmall.jpg

Nice Write up, Thanks! 
Kick radiator differ from 2-door to 4-door and 5spd to auto.  Just be aware if you are shopping for one.  I didn't see how to get it around the steering box.  But mine may have been a 4-door radiator.

I would recomend putting the fan on the back of the radiator.  They are much more efficient pulling than pushing, and by putting it in the front, you reduce airflow by at least 25%.

dschwab9 said:
I would recomend putting the fan on the back of the radiator.? They are much more efficient pulling than pushing, and by putting it in the front, you reduce airflow by at least 25%.
only fan i have is the belt driven factory fan. will the thickness of the radiator or the fact you have to tilt it forward prevent me from using it, or is there enough room there?
thanks

I didn't actually measure it out but I think its too close the way I did it. You may be able to modify the brackets further to get more clearance though. As I was using an electric fan I was not to worried about it. As for putting the fan on the front, You are defiantly right. They are MUCH more efficient at pulling but, I like the extra room to work on the engine. And I actually had to put a hotter thermostat in because, When I went for a cruise down the freeway yesterday the engine got so cold the choke came on! So I am not to worried about it.

For you guys who want to get an electric fan but dont want to pay 79.95. Grab a measuring tape and hit the wrecking yards. There are alot of big fans with shrouds on front drive cars and minivans. The best thing is you can usually get them for about 10-20 bucks.

Just wanted to let you all know that I went on a weekend wheelin run resently and the radiator performed flawlessly. After I got my electric fan thermostat working properly again anyway(damn dusty gravel roads). Temp guage never went above 1/2 way. Even at a valve bending (yes I bent a valve) 6,500 rpm in the snow.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom