Rised air intake/snorkel

Hilux

I live in Norway and over here we don`t have dry rocks and desserts as you guys to play on, so i built my Zuki for dirt, mud and hills. I raised my air intake by using 1,2" exaust pipes, one 45 degree bend, one straight bit and on top i mounted a cheap SportMax filter. This set me back only abaout 40$

Attachments

• Znorkel9 (Small).webp
    Znorkel9 (Small).webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Kopi av Znorkel3 (Small).webp
    Kopi av Znorkel3 (Small).webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Frontfanger3 (Small).webp
    Frontfanger3 (Small).webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,056
I use a Volvo engine (from a 740series), so the intake is on the drivers side instead off the passengerside. But i used some silicone hose with rubber innertube, and atatached it to the carb by this thing (dont know what to call it in english). The "thing" was made for me at a local machine shop for abaout 15$

Attachments

• Pokal6 (Custom).webp
    Pokal6 (Custom).webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 826
Adapter or Fitting would be the correct word i think...

But the air filter is outside, in the open. What about when it rains? Or gets water onto it... or muddy for that matter. Do you have to stop and clean it?

msmoke said:
Adapter or Fitting would be the correct word i think...

But the air filter is outside, in the open. What about when it rains? Or gets water onto it... or muddy for that matter. Do you have to stop and clean it?

Rain can be a problem (trying to solve that with a "hat" on the top). Mud however isn`t. I bought an extra filter, so i can change in the middle of the day i necessary, but so far i have ridden with the same filter all day long without any problems.

Attachments

• rena05.webp
    rena05.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 539
wildchild1066 said:
real nice rig . and the snorkle makes pvc look real bad . how hard was it to make and can you post under the hood pics ?

Up a few posts, he has one.

Maybe a large piece of Pipe would fit around that, with some internal brackets to hold it to the existing exhaust pipe. Then on top just put a piece of cloth, so it would breathe, rain would be stopped from falling directly in, and would just run down and out the bottom of the larger pipe covering. Hopefully completely staying away from the air filter.

Just a idea. Might work  ???

wildchild1066 said:
real nice rig . and the snorkel makes pvc look real bad . how hard was it to make and can you post under the hood pics ?

The snorkel tok me about two hours to make, insert the 45 degree bend to the straight one, find the angle you want by twisting it, bolt it to the cage or windowframe (if you don`t have a cage) and weld it together. Cut a hole in the hood, mount the tube to the carb to check the fit and take it all apart for paint. When i assembled it the last time i used some silicone around the adapter on the carb to be certain there will be no leaks.

msmoke said:
Up a few posts, he has one.

Maybe a large piece of Pipe would fit around that, with some internal brackets to hold it to the existing exhaust pipe. Then on top just put a piece of cloth, so it would breathe, rain would be stopped from falling directly in, and would just run down and out the bottom of the larger pipe covering. Hopefully completely staying away from the air filter.

Just a idea. Might work? ???

Sounds like a god idea.

I`m thinking about a cone that i can slide over the filter and secure with a clamp on at the bottom of the filter. This way the rain will run down the cone on the outside and the filter can suck air from the bottom off the cone. Looks like i have to take a trip to the machine shop again  [idea] [idea]

Here is a couple of under the hood shots with the silicone tube in place:

Attachments

• slangesnorkel12 (Custom).webp
    slangesnorkel12 (Custom).webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 761
wflaw45 said:
how mch is invloved with this engine swap?

It took me a few weeks, but it`s worth it. The Volvo engine gives approximately 115HP, it is real strong in the bottom and midrange, these engines are cheap here in Norway and its easy to modify the clutch to heavy duty (from turbo 740`s).

I had to fabricate new engine mounts, new mounts for the gearbox, new axle between engine and gearbox, new (bigger) radiator, new exhaust and a bit wiring.

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• motorfeste9 (Custom).webp
    motorfeste9 (Custom).webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 476
  • motorfesteforsterket16 (Custom).webp
    motorfesteforsterket16 (Custom).webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 486
Very good looking rig there!  I agree with everyone else in saying that your snorkel makes the PVC look like........well not as good (family friendly website).

Kudos on your Samurai!!

Geoff

give us all the specs on your rig

The car is a 1986 Sami, its raised 1,5" with boylift, 1" longer shackles and SPOA. The axles are from a LandCruiser BJ-42, Engine is a Volvo B230-K (from 740/240 series), Gearbox also from Volvo (lower gearing than stock sami box), Servopump from Volvo and "steering box" (don't know the word in English) is from a Nissan Patrol, transfercase rebuilt to 4,16:1 ratio, 35x14x15" TSL Boggers, welded rear diff, plastic gas tank from a boat (20 litres), JAZ Racing plastic seats, 2,5" exhaust with one muffler, T-max 9500 winch, homemade rollcage, Optima red top battery, Black Diamond shocks up front, stock shocks rear, hydraulic handbrake and VDO meters.

This winter i plan to install ARB locker up front (if my economy allows it), Jeep YJ springs (already bought), revolver shackles and long travel  shocks (12" Bilstein). And maybye replace the carburetor with a fuel injection system for rally cars.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom