removing rocker trim brackets

Joe S.

tonight i removed the rocker trim brackets from my kick. they are attached the same way the ones on the sami are, so i figured id post this here so everyone could benefit.

well, you know they make the spot weld drill bit, but those things are too pricey for me. i dont like to drill a hole thru the rocker panel, so a regular drill bit is out of the question too. it is too hard for me to stay out of the rocker panel itself with a grinder, so i have never had much luck with this type of project. until tonight when i just happened to think of something, tried it, and loved it! it really made this easy.

what i did was this:

i took an old worn out 1/4" drill bit and ground it flat. then i put just a SLIGHT angle to it. i mean, maybe 1 degree. it almost looks flat across the tip of the drill bit. then just drill slowly, checking your progress every so often so as not to drill into the rocker panel. i used pliers to hold the bracket and move it back and forth to help weaken the metal on the bracket to help the process.

the drill bit ate right thru the spot welds. ground it smooth and some black paint, and perfecto! ready for my side guards to be installed on the rockers.

Cut them down the length with a sawzall then use vice grips to pop the welds . I timed the last one I took off and it was under four minutes and no drilling .

only problem with doing that on the track kick is the body is not flat there. to cut the brackets off, youd have to cut into the rocker panel itself... :(

Joe S. said:
only problem with doing that on the track kick is the body is not flat there. to cut the brackets off, youd have to cut into the rocker panel itself... :(

Set the blade depth shallow ? I can cut as shallow as a 1/4" with my sawzall . I havent tried tracker ones yet . But I do have a tracker out back now  ;)

Joe S. said:
it might work, but i am thinking there is not enough room...

you ahve a tracker huh? anything good?

16 valve with 77k original miles . No rust , a few dings and 2wd . I have a "few" parts for it . But for now it will stay 100% stock until I finish my rig .

is that the one you were telling me about once? i think your neighbor owned it? i think you need to sell it to me...  4 door right?

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom