Removeble doorless mirrors

edman87k5

I am about to cut my hinges so I can go doorless this summer. I had been trying to figure out my mirror sutuation and think I have the solution. I do not want the brackets that mount the factory mirrors to the winshield frame. I don't like the looks or the viewing angle. Besides when the doors go back on it makes the viewing angle even worse!
I have made a prototype bracket out of carved resin to mount a motorcycle mirror to the door rhinge when the door is off and it wedges tight with a screw handle. It can be put on or removed in maybe 5 seconds and will have a better view than anything I have seen so far. Also, by using universal motorcycle mirrors, if you smash 1, they are cheap and easy to replace.
I have not cut my hinges yet, so my exact dimensions may be off by 1/4" or so when the door is out of the way. I am going to try and pick up a mirror tomorrow and cut my hinges and get it exact in the next day or so and I will post up some pics and such.

I used CJ5 mirrors.  All you need to do is grind part of the mirror bracket and then the holes on the bracket will line up with the windshield bracket bolts.  Then cut the tube down and redrill the bolt hole to get the position of the mirror where you want it.  This is a great mod because you can see them clearly with the doors on and they will fold out of the way when on the trail. ;D

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Good mod. My point was to have a removeable mirror for when doors are off and use the factory mirrors when doors are on. I have it done, just have to get some pics.

edman,

I like your approach far better than the windshield frame mount brackets.  I rarely run with my doors off, but when I do, I would like to mount temporary mirrors like you did.  Could you post more details, especially of the handles.

The bracket is 1/2" steel plate- I want aluminum and will re-do when I find a piece the right size.
The mirror is a biker's choice universal motorcycle mirror.
The handles are somthing I found at work, I have 4 or 5 more, but don't know how many more I could pick up. They are 1/4"x20 x 1" length on the stud. The plate is tapped to accept this.
I am going to pull it off and clean it up a little with the sidegrinder and paint the bracket. I will get a more detailed pic when I do this.
Thanks for the compliment. After thinking up this idea, I saw some in a jeep mag rather similar with a jepp knockoff mirror on it. Nice, but $60 each! The mirror is the only thing I had to buy and it was like $13. If this idea was refined a little and made from aluminum, it would be a killer accessory.

What might be interesting is to replace the handle, which I assume locks the bracket in place by screwing against the door jamb, with a piece of flat spring stock so that it keep tension on the bracket to keep it in place but allows the whole assembly to swing backwards if you hit the mirror on an obstacle.

? here are mine but i can really see out the passanger mirror when the doors are on any sugestions? ?

Attachments

• 0516081857.webp
    0516081857.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 0516081857b.webp
    0516081857b.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 0516081857a.webp
    0516081857a.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 270

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back