Refurbish the center caps on your Track/kicks wheels

gmj2fast

I know a how-to is not needed as this is such an easy thing to do, but I took all of these pics and I'm gonna use them!  ;D

Well while looking for Center Caps for project Ge-Tara I came to 3 conclusions.

Conclusion #1 - there are way too many variations of Center caps for these trucks (although  in these pics all of the different Patrick-colored pastel ones look like they are the same color).

aaaa_001.jpg

Conclusion # 2 - I didn't have any "Suzuki" center caps, which is what I needed for this project (one quick trip to DeVinneys and that problem was fixed though)

Conclusion # 3 - all of the Center caps no matter what "flavor" were all dingy, faded or otherwise discolored.

aaaa_006.jpg

aaaa_005.jpg

Well I didn't want to use these nasty looking center caps on them purty new aluminum rims that I got for the Vitara, so I decided to see how hard it would be to make them look like new.

First thing I did was clean them with Lacquer Thinner (one of the "S" ones I got had overspray on it). I was worried about using the thinner because the logo is a decal but It worked perfectly. as a matter of fact look at the next two pictures, the first is a "Geo" cap that was completely painted over when I first started cleaning it and the second is the same cap after I was done still showing its ever so bright colors (no-fading at all)
aaaa_004.jpg

aaaa_007.jpg

So with my Suzuki caps all clean I taped off the logo :

aaaa_008.jpg

I decided no sanding was necessary as the caps are rough by nature.

I sprayed them with flat-black so they would look original, but for a custom look I guess you could paint them any color you like.

aaaa_009.jpg

Then all you have to do is peel of the masking tape and Viola! your center caps look as good as new:

aaaa_010.jpg

Here are some comparison shots using an Asuna cap (as it is in about the same condition as the Suzuki ones were)

aaaa_011.jpg

aaaa_012.jpg

I know it is a very simple thing, but on a stocker I think it makes a big difference especially if you have some purdy aluminum wheels  ;D

I hope this has been educational to at least one person ;D

cool info. My wheels have caps all ready but it is the attention to the small details that get you noticed  ;D  That and bright paint  ROFL

I have but one question.

what the hell is a Patrick-colored pastel?... :o :o :o :o :o :(

nice write up though, and I agree with the others that it's the details that make the biggest difference ;)

VA88ZUK said:
I have but one question.

what the hell is a Patrick-colored pastel?... :o :o :o :o :o :(

nice write up though, and I agree with the others that it's the details that make the biggest difference ;)

I-Love-Hue-Too-Gay-Pride-Flag-Colors.gif

hehehehe

gimmie a call fool

I have one question, nice writeup BTW, what's the Pontiac cap for? I don't remember Pontiac having a version of the Side/Track? ???

ZUKIMON said:
I have one question, nice writeup BTW, what's the Pontiac cap for? I don't remember Pontiac having a version of the Side/Track? ???

heres a list of the different variations :)

89-97 Geo Tracker
89-91 and 98-04 Chevrolet Tracker
89-91 GMC Tracker
92-93 Asuna Sunrunner
94-98 Pontiac Sunrunner

and thats just GM's North American versions (talk about multiple-personalities)

VA88ZUK said:
what the hell is a Patrick-colored pastel?

Pat?rick-col?or; [pa-trik - kuhl-er]; ?adjective. being of hues that are usually associated with the stereotypically eccentric homosexual's(see also Flamer) undergarments. Included but not limited to Pink, Lavender, Chartruce, Perriwinkle, Azure and Aquamarine.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom