reasonable rear disc brake conversion

Junkyard Zuk

ok

I have read about 100 different threads about rear disc brakes because this is something I know will help my Zuk be a better muddy trail trail rig.

I went the the local "pick-n-pull" and got a set of calipers off of a 1994 Nissan with rear disc brakes. This will give me ebrakes at the rear wheels and I will not have to get the sj410 t-case brake kit.

I aquired a spare rear axle from a Zuk so I am going to use it for the mock up stage.

First I took the drums off.
Next I pressed out the studs.
Next I put the drum into the lathe
Next I cut the center out of the drum.
Next I put the center piece back into the lathe and turned it down to the outside edges of the stud bosses.
Next I painted the plates.
Next I pressed the studs back into the plate. These will be changed with new front studs before I use it on my street Zuk.
Next I pulled the axles out, removed all the brake hardware and cut the backing plates.
Next I reinstalled the axles and bolted the small bearing retainer back to the housing.
Next I ground down the backing plate/ bearing retainer to the same size as the square it bolts to.
Next I bolted up the former drum to the axle.
Next I bloted on a front Zuk rotor.
Next I mocked up the holder for the caliper.
With the caliper bracket held in place I took some card board and a bunch of measurements and made a bracket to bolt to the 4 bolts of the backing plate. I could only get 3 no matter how hard I tried. I do not know how Spider Trax made theirs but they are better at it then I am.
Next I took the card board and placed it over a piece of 1/2" plate I had, traced it out and turned the plazma cutter loose on it.
Next I ground it down smooth and then attached it to the bolts for the backing plate.
After I got the holes drilled and the caliper bolted on I found that the caliper was to close to the rotor.
I cut another piece of 1/4" plate for a spacer.
Drilled holes in it and bolted it in place.
Now I will have to replace all the bolts with grade 8's and finish the clean up process but that gets you to where I am.

just repeat for the other side and you have rear disc brakes WITH ebrake at the rear wheels.

I still need to get the master cylinder and propertioning valve but at this point I have less then $30.00 in this.

I have pics but am not sure how to post them here.
if you would like the pics just PM me and I will email them to you.

I will update this when I install it on the Zuk and test drive it.

I am looking at the master cylinder and the proportioning valve from the 1994 nissan that I got the calipers from.

John
Fairfield Ca

[bluesamside]

here are the pics

Attachments

• MVC-001F.webp
    MVC-001F.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 492
  • MVC-003F.webp
    MVC-003F.webp
    37 KB · Views: 470
  • MVC-004F.webp