Quick "Universal" Towbar mount

ack

When I was preparing for my first ZookiMelt back in '01, I built this towbar mount system for a unit I bought at Walmart.? It should be adaptable to nearly any type of towbar mount.? You need access to a drill press and a grinder (a hand-held grinder will do...) to fabricate this.?

The drawing below does not show the fact that the front of the frame is not parallel to the ground.? ?If you want the face of the angle steel to be perpendicular to the ground, you will need to hold the angle steel in place eyeballing for perpendicular before marking the mounting holes.? It may be necessary to cut the arc off-center so that you will have enough steel around the mounting holes.?

For better overall alignment, mark one angle piece, clamp or tack-weld the two angles together and drill the mounting holes through both pieces.

quicktowbarmount.JPG

I flat-towed from Kansas City to Attica Indiana (900+ miles) and back without any problems.? Later, I used this same basic mounting design to build a box-beam bumper.? ?I welded the towbar pivot attachment directly to the front of the bumper and towed the Zuk to the '03 Melt and back, also with no problems!

(neutral/neutral/hubs unlocked/rear driveshaft removed, steering column unlocked ;D)

Ack

I forgot an important factoid about this project:

Works on all years of Samurai/SJ-413.  I think in the US, that would be '86 to '95 model years.

Ack the Pinzhead

That looks like it goes into the holes of the bolt on tie downs....right?
Is that an OK place to mount a bumper.
I like the way that looks!

I like the Pinz too...If I ever get rich.........there's a saweet Volvo 303 (3) in one of the Truck Traders (drool).....

Matt 8)

Lizooki said:
That looks like it goes into the holes of the bolt on tie downs....right?

Yep!? you can use the transport tie-downs as templates for cutting the arc and placing the bolt holes.

Is that an OK place to mount a bumper.

I believe that's where everyone attaches aftermarket bumpers.? At least I've seen several attached that way...?

Important note:
fasten the angle iron only to the inside face of the box beam.? Unless you add a perfect-fitting drilled steel spacer, you'll only crush the end of the frame if you run a bolt all the way across it to the other side.? ?Hey, it's supposed to be simple!

I like the Pinz too...If I ever get rich.........there's a saweet Volvo 303 (3) in one of the Truck Traders (drool).....

check out http://real4x4.com.? This guy is a 303 nut AND importer of the same! 

Bonus:  his business is in Virginia!

Matt 8)

Here are some pics of my tow bar arrangement.  The last time i used. I did not remove the cross member while driving it off road. It didnt seem to make any difference.  Hammy

Attachments

• 06.webp
    06.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 07.webp
    07.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,033
I had been thinking about doing some thing like this my self since with my lift. It put the tow bar mount high enough that I still needed a 8" drop hitch reversed to com close to the mounts. Now that I find this will work. I am going to set me one up for my self. Thanks for the write up
Brian

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom