Quick an easy front bumper

ilikemud

After a year plus of driving without a bumper I thought it was time to put something on there. About 20 min of walking around and goofing off I found a few pieces of pipe and tubing. I held them up to the front of the truck and picked one out while doing so I found the perfect mount. The factory hold downs worked out great, just flip them over tack the tubing, remove, finish weld, and replace. The piece of tubing I used was an old cross tube (pn. CT2) from a dump truck with Hendrickson rear suspension. I think it will be strong enough, it is pretty thick walled.

01-03-08_1135.jpg

01-03-08_1134.jpg

01-03-08_1133.jpg

How does it look?

j

I think it will be thick enough  ::)

Looks good.  Do you plan on adding anything to it for more protection of the front end? 

On a side note anything other then the stock bumber would be more protection for the front end.  ;D

I thought about adding some more on there but this is just a temp bumper. It is defiantly better than pushing trees over than the front cross member. One of these days I will make or buy a winch bumper.

I started to make one then after a few hours of designing and looking in the shop for material I got a ZOR one for $243 delivered in 3 days. Took 20 mins to install.

http://www.zuksoffroad.net/

Myron is a great guy to talk to also. Ask him how you can get a 10% discount. His shifter sheet has cool instructions too. He through in one for free in addition to the great bumper. Mine is 3/16" thick. I know a guy who uses his MY-SIDE and loves it.

I have seen the zor bumpers they look good and I have heard they have a good reputation as well. I was looking at the srockworks bumpers and rock rails but the prices are more than I want to spend. I have a welder and the other tools I need to make a bumper just haven't built one yet. I guess I should do a search for some plans to make building one easier and get to work but I still have to test this on out.

The cost was very low just some wire and gas for the welder the tube was scrap.

thanks for all the feedback

Agreed. Tube bumpers are especially easy and I have always had them on my cars. I was just tired of the look so I was designing up several bumpers including tube framed and then wrapped in sheet. It got to a point that I was spending more time in designing and making one than it was worth and the end result wouldn't have been as nice being I don't have a 100 ton press brake. I have a 40 ton H press but that wasn't going to be enough.

I do love to make things myself though. It is winter time, and my shop isn't heated to speak of making winter time projects limited. I have tons of work and I really like ZOR design bumpers. So I worked 5 hours and got paid a bumper in a since.

My final plan was to use cross members of pallet racks. I have a crap load of them that I don't have uprights for. Just to use the junk that is around the shop. They would of looked pretty cool with  tapered outside bottom ends. They weren't going to sweep back though.

I have several tube benders with dies from 1/2" to 2"

Steel rectangular tubing is cheep too. There is even a steel yard next door and they don't charge cut fees but I just was trying to get rid of the junk in the yard.

I like your bumper mount. Quick easy and functional.

ilikemud, what part of louisville are you in? I saw this post last night and went on a home deopt quest for a front bumper pipe like yours. got home with a pipe thats too small and won't look right. so when I cam back here to check this post again I noticed that you are in Louisville with me. I don't see many samis around here and would love to check yours out some time, I just got mine yesterday.  Any chance you can get another piece of that pipe for mine  ;)

If ilikemud can't hook you up then look up steel yards or pipe supply in phone book or http://www.dexknows.com/.
Steel yards will have bracket and other material too. You could also try scrap yards but this would take some effort.

I'm in Louisville too, but on the opposite end of the planet. We say it different here. Last I checked there is an 'S' LOL. I miss the mud but not the cleaning. AZ and Utah mud is impossible to get off.

First off that 'S' is a silent S everyone knows that.  ;D 

gearhead6s, If you want send me a pm and we can hook up somewhere I might be able to get another piece of tube. I don't want to post my location online there are to many stalkers out there and I am a pretty good looking guy. lol :D 

My fingers are only good for typing so many letters in my life. Why waste it on something that no one pronounces. Either spell it right as it sounds or sound it as it spells? LOL.

We make exceptions for cool people like Louis Armstrong.

As for lookin good, I'll leave that one alone. I heard stories about you guys that don't need to be repeated.

See you all in Moab at the end of March?

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom