Poor man's intake mod

Jeremiah

Here's a free, quick & easy mod anyone can do to unlock some power from the 1.6 hamster powered engine. The stock intake does three things very well:
* Cold air intake charge
* Protects the intake charge from sucking in water
* Reducing intake "noise" for a quiet ride

Suzuki engineers accomplished this by moving the intake between the firewall, and the fender on driver's side. This means a longer intake run, a hand full of extra twists & bends, and the intake horn is too narrow:

100_0006.jpg

100_0022.jpg

100_0023.jpg

To bypass the restrictive system, remove this 10mm bolt, and pull the piping between the air box & fender. It's best to follow up by removing the battery terminals, and touching them together for 60 seconds. This re-sets the computer, and tells it to re-learn it's fuel curve. The computer should automagically do this every few hundred miles, but this process ensures it gets done.

100_0010.jpg

100_0006.jpg

100_0007.jpg

I expected better top-end acceleration, but I was shocked by my seat of the pants dyno: I instantly noticed smoother acceleration throughout the power band. Acceleration was much smoother off-idle: a pleasant surprise. Additional intake noise is only noticeable during wide open throttle (to me, the best of both worlds: quiet normal driving & manly hard-acceleration sounds). This is technically going from a CAI to a warmer intake charge, but because the piping is so restrictive, this mod still improves power. My guess is the engine will be slightly more susceptible to sucking in water during water crossings. I don't go in water that's taller than my tiers, so my intake will be well above the water line.

Boy that is alot of expensive looking garbage just for a air intake! Inlet should have been run up the "A" pillar instead. Could have been easily done on the design board.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom