Panhard Bar on the sammy

MILLBRO

Here is a brief thread on how to buil up a panhard bar for your sammy to keep the axle under it and to aid in death wobble on the highway.

Here are all the parts I used. The total cost was around 75 bucks.
        (2) 3/4" hiems
        (4) suspension tabs
        (4) misalighnment washers
        (2) hiem bungs
        3'- 1 1/4" chromoly tube
        (2) 1/2" x 3" grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts

panhardandaddisonparty002.jpg

I'm using the driver side bumpstop mount to mount up the panhard to the "frame".
Using the bumpstop mount allowed for some extra length to the tube.
panhardandaddisonparty004.jpg

I'm using the u-bolt plate on the passenger side to mount the other end of the tube.
panhardandaddisonparty005.jpg

Next I dry fit the pieces to make sure it would all work and be in a straight line
panhardandaddisonparty006.jpg

panhardandaddisonparty007.jpg

Then I welded the tabs up to the driver side trying to get the front tab as close to the front of the sammy as possible. Here it is all painted up
panhardandaddisonparty016.jpg

Then I welded the passenger side tabs to the u-bolt plate making sure the bolt that is going to hold it all together will be able to come out when ubolt are installed
panhardandaddisonparty020.jpg

Then I took a measurement from hole to hole and deducted for the hiems and cut my tube. I made sure to cut the tube at a 45 degree angle to get as much weld surface as possible on the hiem bung. Welded the bungs in place and threaded in the hiems. Here it is all weded up. The actual tube came out to be about 28" long.
panhardandaddisonparty021.jpg

panhardandaddisonparty022.jpg

Misalighnment washers were added for a custom look and for proper clearance for the hiems. Pics of the bar all bolted up from the passenger side-
panhardandaddisonparty023.jpg

And on the driver side
panhardandaddisonparty024.jpg

then from the front. It is pretty close to matching the drag link as it should be.
panhardandaddisonparty025.jpg

On the road it is a dramatic difference and I have yet to see how it works off road but I will prabably try it this weekend.
  I hope this will help everyone out there who are in the market for a panhard bar and are looking to save a little green and do a pretty fun project to their rig.

Great write up.  ;)
Doug and I fabricated our own panhard bars also.

So I have a couple of comments to add ;D

Your panhard bar should be about the same length as your draglink.
As stated above, the panhard should be at the same angle as the draglink.
Keep an eye on the bumpstop mount that you welded to. I did mine almost the same way and it's held up fine. But Dougs ripped off of the frame :o
We ended up plating the frame for added strength.

If you look at the close up pic of the hiem on the tube, The bung is the part that the hiem threads into and it fit directly into the tube. Then I welded the bung into the tube. Check it out.

MILLBRO said:
If you look at the close up pic of the hiem on the tube, The bung is the part that the hiem threads into and it fit directly into the tube. Then I welded the bung into the tube. Check it out.

panhardandaddisonparty002.jpg

the hiem at the bottom has one. i see it now

did you only use one bung on the tube?

No I put one on the other side also, it's just not shown. As far as the pre fab tabs, I can buy buy them cheap and they look ten times better than what I could make so back off dude.

ok maybe you should leave the attitude at home when you log on...

i wasnt saying what you did was wrong or looked bad or anything... it does look clean and yes pre-made tabs are cheap...i was simply poking fun...if you cant handle that go find another website

you setup looks nice and clean and well built.

the only thing that may be an issue later on is welding those tabs onto the factory bump stop mount. its only thin steal and may have a tendency to tear. but if you dont wheel it that hard you may not have a problem.

nice write up. I got the complete bar with ends at the local welding shop here for 22.00 and made my mounts. You did a nice clean job there  ;D

Good so far. I havn't done much wheelin' for a while due to other things I am doing on the sammy. But ti works great on the road.

Yeah it sure is nice. I got a lot of death wobble when I put it on but the panhard sure took care of  that. Keeps the axle under truck nicely

Nice job on the write-up.. I am just finishing a few things on my Toyota axles, then I will need to make one of these before the first trip out..

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom