Moved license plate Lights

camozuki

Hey, I'm always using everyone else's ideas. So i thought I would post one of my own.
I moved my license plate to the tailgate so I could haul my trailer. I was pulled over for not having my license plate lit up. New one to me. So, I fixed the problem.
First I moved My license plate down by drilling two new holes with a 1/4" bit. Next, since my plate holder was already removed. I removed the light covers. The wires for the lights are simple. Plug for the hot wire, ground is screwed to the frame. Unplugged, unscrewed and removed the lights.
Next to route the new wire to the tailgate. Came up through the passenger side seatbelt hole. Decided to go through the wall behind the cas hose cover. Removed the cover and drilled a 9/32" hole behind the screw tab for the cover. Before anyone reacts to drilling and gas, I covered up the hoses with a blanket. I then drilled a hole straght across in the side of the tail gate.
Next I ran a 14 gage wire behind the tailgate gussets. To get the wire behind the gussets I pried a little with a screwdriver. Through the drilled holes. Adding a grommet to each one. Through the seat belt hole and under the Samurai.
Cut the connectors off of both live wires and attached both to the new wire with a butt connector.
To mount the lights, I used a 1" hole saw and cut where the license mount holes were. There is an allignment tab on the back of the light. To make this work I used a 1/4" drill bit at the bottom of the 1" hole. Placing the light into the hole i used it as a reference to drill the screw holes for attaching the lights to the tailgate. A 9/64" bitt drilled through the holes and your done. Put the cover on and use the original screws. Tight snug fit.
To finish wiring, cut the connectors off of the hot wires. Attach to the new wire with a butt connector and use the bolt for your license plate to attach the grounds.
Not the coolest mod but it works. Hope someone will get something out of this.
And yes Camozuki is a home paint job.
Jason

Attachments

• Samurai lights 001 (Small).webp
    Samurai lights 001 (Small).webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 421
  • Samurai lights 003 (Small).webp
    Samurai lights 003 (Small).webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 266
More pictures

Attachments

• Samurai lights 006 (Small).webp