Mod to greace top kingpin bearing

I just got my sammy back on the road after both my top kingpin bearing granaded. After driving on a rough road I got back on the pavement and noticed  my steering was all funny and the tires squealed around corners. In hindsight I had noticed a very small amount of play a month or two back when I had the front end jacked up, but i didn't want to deal with the big job of rebuilding the front end.

Anyway after I got it all apart, I found that the top bearings had dropped all the rollers into the birf housing and both the inner and outer races looked like they had been reusing for some time. The bottom bearings, because the good old gravity keeps grease in them, where in good shape. I replaced them anyway, as I had already bought 4 new ones.

I was talking to a guy that used to have a sammy years ago and he told me that he had drilled and tapped for a grease nipple so that he could grease the top bearing once in a while. He has a TJ now and couldn't remember where he had put the nipple so the following is what i figured should work.

The first pic shows what your tire looks like with no rollers in the top kinpin bearing. both sides looked like this.
The rest show where to drill the holes. You WILL need a drill press to make accurate holes. I chose to put the nipples in the back because I have Breeze cross over steering and it would block the access from the front. You could put two nipples per side but I thought that would be over kill.

Attachments

• king pin grease 1.webp
    king pin grease 1.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,406
  • king pin grease 2.webp
    king pin grease 2.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,746
  • king pin grease 3.webp
    king pin grease 3.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,661
  • king pin grease 4.webp
    king pin grease 4.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,663
intresting but still not sure how the grease gets to the king pin bearing wouldnt the hole be topped (capped off by the king pin top plate)

The top of the hole is capped by the kingpin which is what makes the grease go down on to the bearing. It is a bit hard to see unless you have your steering knuckle in your hand. In the blurry photo, the bottom of the first hole is represented by the red dot. yellow arc represents the Bell on the end of the axle housing. The grease comes out on to the bearing and on top of the bell. I also did a crappy section drawing to try to make it more clear.

Attachments

• king pin grease 5.webp
    king pin grease 5.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,106
totally got it now, just didnt understand the length of the top hole goes all the way thru T instead of L got it thanks, thats a really good upgrade

Hey, now that's a cool idea and a nice write ip too [smiley=thumb.gif].  I might just have to do that to my yota knuckles sometime.  Thanks.

Thats is one of the coolest mods I've seen.  How the hell did you come up with that Idea?  Totally awsome.

Sweeeeet  I am getting ready to install a set of axles here soon. I am going to do this before they go under the zook.
might be worth doing to all four though.

CodyJ said:
How the hell did you come up with that Idea?  Totally awsome.
Thanks, It wasn't my idea, i just had to find a spot to drill and tap for the nipple.
slowmotion4x4 said:
might be worth doing to all four though.
I don't think the bottom bearing is really a problem. When my top bearings granaded, the bottom ones looked not too bad still. Gravity will make sure the grease pumped into the top will work it's way down to them eventually. Like I said in the original post though, you don't want the whole Knuckle full of grease. A couple of pumps now and then is enough so there is more than the just the grease you put on the bearing when you install it.

That suks I just notice that my wheels are doing a little leaning.  >:(  well I guess Im gonna have to do the same thing :)

Good post [red_s]

hammer i was meaning were he talks about center punching the hole why couldn't you do that on the other side. or i should say the opposite side of were he center punched that way the grease fitting is pointing torward the front.

You could put the grease fitting pointing forward. I have Breeze OTT steering that would make the passenger side knuckle harder grease if it was in the front. I also thought that the nipples would be less likely to get damaged in the rear.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom