Land Rover 300TDI & other mTDI pump swaps for VW 1.9 TDI

Chuck78

I was just going through my notes for my upcoming mTDI swap, & figured I'd share all of this info from lots of searching, on various setups for Land Rover pumps on 1Z/AHU & ALH 1.9TDI engines.

libbydiesel on 26 Feb, 2019 22:20:

The hub needs to be installed so that the slot in the hub aligns with the hole in the pump when the keyway in the pump shaft is point to the #1 cylinder delivery valve.  *****The stock land rover hub is installed 180? out of time (vs.VW methods).  In that situation it will still run but will lack power.  I don't know that it would be limited to 2100 rpms, though.  A good baseline timing spec is then 1.40mm for that pump.

libby December 14, 2019:
http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,46476.0.html
To remove that extra lever on the pump that seems unneeded, I have removed it, tapped the hole to NPT and threaded in an allen plug.  What you (fatmobile) propose would also work.  That extra lever (if all is adjusted correctly) will reduce the puff of smoke at startup.  That is all that it does.

If you want to be precise with the hub, then you could either cut the VW hub to match the larger hole (in the Land Rover pump body for the timing lock pin) or put a small bushing into the hole so it matches the VW hub. 
***To install the hub, make sure the shaft keyway is aligned with the delivery valve for the #1 injector, make sure the dial indicator is rising as you turn CW, and when you arrive at the dial indicator setting you desire, lock the pump shaft with the side bolt.  With the shaft locked, install the hub with the pin in place and tighten the hub nut.  Whenever the pin fits should then equal the dial indicator reading you used previously.  I think 1.40mm is a good baseline timing spec for the LR pump.  You might want to adjust from there, though.  Set to 12? BTDC at idle with the pulse adapter.

Paraphrasing what I have read Libby mention elsewhere:
Using the diesel pulse adapter is the best way to most accurately adjust the pump timing on an engine, as it takes into consideration wear or modifications to the injector settings, as well as internal changes to the pump, camplate swaps, dynamic timing changes, etc.  Generally all diesels seem to run best within a half degree or so +/- of 12? BTDC at idle.  Alterations to any of the above mentioned injection parts or tuning, or wear and tear, will alter the timing of the start injection event even with the dial indicator set to the suggested baseline for the factory spec on all of the above variables.

--------------

the Land Rover 300TDI injection pump is pretty much ideal for the ALH. It has the correct nose diameter to fit the ALH bracket. You can use the ALH sprocket and hub which will give the correct offset for the timing belt. To mount it, you can run a tap into the three mounting holes at the sprocket end of the pump and use M10 bolts if memory serves. They are larger than the stock ALH bolts but will just barely fit through the holes in the timing cover/bracket. There are a couple of other minor items to address but it is 99% bolt-on and will outperform a stock ALH eTDI out of the box.
(Andrew Libby)
----------
The hub on the pump,
the part that the timing belt sprocket bolts to,
needs to be the one from the ALH engine. The hub from the Rover application has the wrong offset for the timing belt location as well as other differences.

The slot for the locking pin on the landrover pump is bigger than the one on the ALH pump.
And the hole the pin slides into is bigger.
So I either had to cut the ALH slot wider or put a bushing in the LR pump.
I made a bushing, but don't have a picture of it yet.
I still ended up having to cut the ALH slot deeper because the LR pump hole is lower.

Now if you go back to the first picture,
remember the allen bolt at the front nose area of the pump?
That allen bolt gets removed and a longer bolt goes in the hole.
It's used to lock the pump shaft when it's at 1.43 mm.
With the keyway slot on the shaft pointing towards the #1 injector line's delivery valve, take the dial indicator to it's lowest spot going counter clockwise.
Just like when it's on the car I'd push the car backwards until the dial gauge hits it's lowest spot.
Then turn it clockwise until it reaches 1.40, 1.43, 1.45mm, 1.54mm, whatever your pump's target spec is.
Lock the shaft in place with the allen head bolt hole on the side of the pump near the mainshaft
Lock it there with the alignment pin in the modified hub slot and tighten it down.
Further fine tuning adjustments are done with the sprocket bolts.

Libby: Just to reiterate, you need the shaft keyway pointing toward the #1 delivery valve when you're doing the process.  From there you can rotate CCW to zero the gauge.

The first picture also shows how close the alignment pin hole is to the hub,
the sprocket bolts will hit it. About 3/16" needs to be removed.

The pump mounting holes are threaded on the ALH pump.
Not so on the LR pump.
I put 8m1.25 helicoils in the holes.
They felt a little loose, like the holes were slightly too big.
I'm not too worried but will use longer bolts and add nuts on the top 2 bolts.
Andrew suggested I use 10m 1.5 or 1.25 bolts.
I'll try that on the next one.

I made a 12? BTDC mark on the flywheel. (for use with a timing light and a diesel pulse adapter)

Soooo use the short accelerator arm that came with it?
Or see if I can swap to the MK2 cable bracket and lever?
The startup anti-smoking lever is in the way of using the 1.6 accelerator cable bracket, so I removed it.

fatmobile from a later post:
On the top of the pump I used the LR accel lever and spring setup.
I think the LR pump uses the tall bushing like the MK2.
So I think the MK2 accel lever and spring setup would work but I didn't have one to try.
The ball the MK1 and MK2 accel cable snaps to fits the LR lever with a little drilling.
But I might still weld a piece of early adjustable bracket to the end.
Having the cable attach farther from the center
means small movement of the foot moves the lever less.
Might not be as sensitive to movement. 

You can use the 1.6 rear pump bracket with 3 of the bolts, or you can drill out the holes for the additional bolts as well, or modify the Land Rover bracket with a little fab work.

(FatMobile on VWVortex)

From photo, for governor mod, replace the middle spring, the shorter spring of the larger diameter 2, with several washers.

----------
AHU w/Land Rover 300TDI pump:
the AHU pump is small where it goes into the mount.. like any pre AHU pumps... a newer pump ALH aka 99.5+ mk4 style requires a machine shop to open that hole up to about 68mm i think it was.. then from reading requires a few shims to get the gear to line up perfectly with the belt... remember the pulley becomes the adjustment vs turning the pump to do so. mine was machined next day.. and machinest said it was cake too.

for a mk4 style tdi it's almost direct bolt on...
----------------

the pump fits an AAZ bracket which bolts up to the TDI block, you need to weld on a lug for the TB roller or just leave it out. the AHU sprocket fits the LR shaft perfectly too.

the advance springs need swapping to something softer (AAZ?) and they run fine, have a look on vwdiesel.net for my posts as well as others on this subject. getting the timing right is the hardest part.
(RyanP @ TDIClub)

the mk4 pulley has no keyway on the 'holder/flange' so setting it at TDC can be a pain, I'd prefer to use an AHU pulley and just live with the fact that you have to adjust the timing by swinging the pump.
-----
I've just put one of these pumps on a 1Z.

I used the pump bracket from a 1.9TD T4 transporter van (eurovan to the americans) as I had one laying around. The AAZ bracket I had I'm sure was too small, but now ryanp has mentioned it, I will have to look again. Ryan, was the AAZ a late one with the 2-piece hub by any chance?

I used the 1Z pulley which meant slotting the pump mounting holes so the timing could be set by turning the whole pump.

Timing figures, I started at 1.54mm which is a number I have seen on a few threads and it ran at that setting. However, it was a bit smokey and with some more advance ran perfect
(MarkB_1303 @ TDI Club)
----------
The bracket was the one with a 2pc hub as far as I remember, at first I got my mates grandad to open up a TDI bracket, but realised this afterwards! I did the same for the first setup I made, slotting the holes. The second one just used a stock AAZ bracket and the Mk4 Golf hub/sprocket but finding TDC would be a pain with no keyway so I sold it all on.
The mk4 pulley fits right on the Rover pump, just needs a key way to make sure its in the right place.

I'd like to see how the pump goes if you open the timing cover up and put a softer spring in, maybe a AAZ one will work?? The governor needs doing as the Land rovers don?t rev well at all.
(RyanP @ TDIClub)

Whitbread Jun 5, 2016
(a bit different info here stating the ALH 2pc pulley/hub assembly are not quite exactly lined up when installed on the Rover pump, and need some slight machining, first I had read this)
First, the rover pumps are 180 degrees off for cyl 1 timing. Here's what I do; pull the plug on the nose of the pump that will let you insert a locking bolt. Roll the pump 180 clockwise from the stock LR timing pin position, and when you come up to .050" on the dial indicator, tighten the lock bolt. Now your pump is ready to accept a pulley hub timed in the right location.

Second issue is that the LR pulley hub pilot is smaller than the bore in the ALH pulley as you've found out. You really need to get an ALH pulley hub to make this work easily. You'll also need to machine about .075" from the inside mounting face of the ALH pulley and machine about .040" off the alh pulley hub and still probably use 1 8mm washer between the pump bracket and pump to get the belt to track on the pulley correctly.

Third, the pump needs a few adjustments to really shine. I put 2 6mm washers on the high speed gov spring, rotate afc pin to most aggressive ramp, back the star wheel down about 1-1.5 turns, and you can add 1 turn or so preload to the afc screw up top. You'll want to run the fuel screw in a few turns until it hangs rpms on decel, then back it off about 1/3 turn from there.

If you really want to have fun, put an 11mm TDI camplate in it. The stock rover camplate is the same lift as a 10mm tdi camplate, so despite the 11mm head, it's not really fueling hard at all in stock form.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jimbote, June 6, 2016:

What Matt Whitbread said above, with a few adendums -
*the rover pump in the pinned position is 180* out from where it should be to run the TDI , in other words number one on the rover is where number four is on the tdi... on my pump i had my buddy daniel machine a stock ALH hub slot to match the rovers slot then i filed the pump sprocket slot so i could insert a 3/8" fine thread bolt as a pump lock pin ... works perfect... as far as machining the sprocket i only had the "bubble" machined off the front for TC (timing cover?) clearance and the belt tracks perfectly without any machining to the hub mounting surface
*ditch the rover hub
*buy an ALH hub & sprocket, and have the slot deepened and widened to match the rover pin hole (for the timing locking pin)
*You'll need to shorten the 3 ALH sprocket bolts so they don't hit the rover seal snout
*either turn the pump 180 and reinstall the ALH hub (as matt stated above) or lock the pump shaft at tdc with an audi flywheel bolt via plug near the nose of pump and rotate the cam plate 180 degrees, what i did and it let me replace the pump head seal at the same time
*have the bubble machined off the front of the ALH sprocket for timing cover clearance
*file or machine the sprocket webbing so the lock pin slot hole is accessible

if you study the injector pipe layout of the rover engine you will indeed see that the # 1 cylinder injector pipe goes to what would be the number four delivery valve on a vw engine ... i understand your method of finding number one on the rover pump and installing an ALH sprocket but we get to the exact same result just different methods... unless you spin the shaft 180 or the cam plate 180 the rover pump will not run a vw engine "out of the box" but will be 180 degrees out of firing sequence with the cylinder you are trying to ignite

the 1Z uses a keyed sprocket which will naturally index the rover pump 180 from it's stock setting ... if you lock the shaft on a rover pump at tdc and remove the hub you will see the keyway is 180 out from an ALH pump, and there is a corresponding divot in the rover pump's seal snout that lines up perfectly with the keyway ... do the same thing with an ALH and both the keyway and mark are 180 opposite from the rover

if you're using 1Z/AHU sprockets then by default you are re-indexing the shaft to the correct position for the vw which is 180 degrees from the rover indexed position .... but if you use an ALH pump hub and lock the rover shaft down at rover tdc before swapping hubs then you will be out 180 degrees every time

easiest and most foolproof way to get the index right is to pin the rover hub at tdc, lock the shaft, remove the rover hub, reinstall the modified ALH hub then flip the camplate ... there is zero guesswork using this method... it helps to file the ALH hub slot deeper and wider as well as the ALH sprocket to accomodate the rover timing pin

CRSMP5 June 6, 2016:

A 200TDI pump has no anti soot lever that the 300TDI have (this is mentioned above in one of Libby's and Fatmobile's comments)

There is a casting mark for tdc #1 on the rover pump..

If you can turn the pump gear by hand, I require a 22mm wrench to turn them, you have a broken spring set inside the pump.. 200TDI has a very aggressive cam plate vs a 300TDI, and they break springs.. i have one on my shelf in pieces.. waiting on new camplate set or spring set as they not the same between a 200/300. you could turn its hub, no gear, by hand... felt like a 1.6 ip pump..

I'm still just the tiniest bit confused as how to find tdc on #1 fuel port on the Land Rover pump shaft, but as I understand it:
- I generally line up the keyway on the shaft with the #1 fuel port on the opposite side of the pump (the #1 fuel port obviously the one that connects via the steel fuel delivery line with the #1 injector).
- Then with a dial indicator zeroed with some preload on it I rotate the shaft a) clockwise until the dial begins to move and then counterclockwise just until it no longer moves and zero it again or b) counter clockwise until it no longer moves and then clockwise and then counter clockwise just until it no longer moves and then zero it again... and then clockwise until it reaches 1.45mm.
- This is where I eventually want the pump when the crank and cam are at TDC on #1 cylinder?
So that when the engine is at TDC on the firing stroke on #1 the pump is at 1.45mm?

200TDI pump onto my AHU:
1. Set engine to #1 tdc for crank and on power/firing stroke on camshaft. Remove injection pump and timing belt and pump mount.
2. Have AHU/1Z front pump mount bracket opened to ALH/Rover pump size 68mm or 70mm for new pump.
3. The 200tdi pulley can be used however the face needs to be cut back to clear the timing belt cover. The pulley is a heavy cast pulley with slotted holes for adjustment. There is no slots in the pump body.
4. You need a 12v source for the fuel shut off and a 12v 3psi fuel pump to prime the pump with fuel.
5. Install pump and secure. Leave pump pulley off. Leave injectors to pipes loose. Rotate pump center bolt clockwise and watch the fuel spill from the pipes. It will spit fuel in the firing order. Rotate until #1 spills.
6. Install pulley to pump and install timing belt and belt tensioner.
7. Rotate engine 40 degrees anti clockwise. Remove timing bolt on pump end and install dial indicator. Set with a preload. Rotate engine clockwise until indicator starts to move. Reset indicator to 0 and rotate towards tdc. 40 thou is what worked for me. I needed to rotate pump to get the pump dialled in before tightening the pulley to pump.

The engine started in half a turn, with a small puff of smoke,then settled to a smooth idle.

the reason I had to go do the fuel spill is that the pump on the rover 200tdi sits on the left side of the motor as you face it. The vw is on the right. The timing pin used on the 200tdi and its related setup will be off due to the location of the fuel lines on the 200tdi. So I have to conclude that any 2.0 to 2.5liter Bosch Ve pump from a tdi engine should work if you have the corresponding pulley to adjust. Its much easier to have the pump fixed and adjust the static timing with the slotted drive pulley.

I just put a LR300TDI pump on my AHU in my MK1 Rabbit Pickup so I can give exact info of what I did.

- Bore out pump bracket for larger snout
- I trimmed my 1.6TD throttle cable bracket and tweaked the throttle lever to give me a workable connection. Transferred ball over from 1.6TD pump for cable to snap on to and drilled hole in throttle lever all the way out.
- 10mm eTDI delivery valves
- As for the sprocket hub, some fun things here. The LR timing lock pin locks the pump at cyl #4 TDC, not #1. Found out the hard way haha. The LR pump hub will work with an ALH pulley if you have a lathe. If no lathe, then you must use an ALH pulley hub. To use the LR hub, you'll have to scribe the location, drill and tap an M8 hole (LR hole pattern isn't symmetrical like VW pattern is, have to add one hole. You will use this new hole to time pump at TDC #1 as it ends up being exactly 180* from the notch in the hub), then lathe about .150" off the hub to pulley mating face of the LR hub and lathe about .100" out of the inside of the ALH pulley to get belt offset right. When you cut the pulley hub, make sure to get the pilot bore for the pulley correct for the ALH; the LR pulley uses a smaller center bore. When you face the .150" off the hub, it will give you enough material to make a new pilot for the pulley.

From there, do you standard aneroid pin shaping (or purchase a 1.6TD style boost pin), and tweak fuel screw up a turn or so and drop you idle to match. Mine runs pretty good so far.

An aggressive aftermarket LDA pin or a 1.6TD (non-eco) LDA boost pin, gov spring/mod, and turning up the main fuel screw are the oldest tricks in the book for a VE pump.

Without the ground fuel pin, my rabbit was a pooch compared to an electronic AHU with the same turbo and nozzles and a 10mm pump. If I turned the fuel screw to get the power to where it should be, the rpm would hang on the way down and cause an infinite automatic cruise control condition. So, with ground fuel pin and fuel screw backed out to where it doesn't cause hanging rpms, the power is now where it should be.

The higher your HP/L gets, the nicer eTDI is. For certain applications, mTDI is fine and dandy. It's the route I went myself for my 81 caddy - it's just a driver/hauler. I should about 150hp/250tq with fuel and air as it sits, and it's a hoot to drive. But if you've going for over 200hp like 3 of my tdi's are, the electronics definitely give a much more usable driving character for a high horsepower street vehicle. Sure you can theoretically make the same max power with electronic or mechanical, but the electronic will be far more civilized (in a higher horsepower application).
-------------------
Libby May 7, 2015:

Shaping the LDA is different from shimming the governor because it is a step in the wrong direction as far as pump adjustment/adjustability.  It makes the pump far less tunable.  The LDA pin is (as stock per Bosch) an intentionally eccentric grind that allows you to tailor the boost/fuel curve by rotating to a more aggressive angle for more fuel at higher boost (or less smoke at lower boost) or to a less aggressive angle for the reverse.  Once ground you destroy its adjustability.  Grind away on the AAZ 'joke' pin, but the LR pin is good stock and adjustable, moreso than you'll likely make it with grinder guesswork.

Whitbread, if you turned the max fuel up to the point where the rpms hung than your idle was set too high.  If you ran out of idle adjustment then your accelerator lever to shaft orientation was on the wrong spline.

I have spent a tremendous amount of time tuning injection pumps in general.  On any given injection pump for a given max boost pressure if starting from a completely disassembled injection pump without any settings 'saved' (won't idle, max fuel off the map, revs out of control, lda completely out of whack, etc...) it usually takes me 2-3 hours of tuning to get it very well dialed in.  Once dialed in to a reasonable tune, adjusting for minor or even significant changes in max boost/power can be done very quickly without any untoward smoke off-boost.
-------------------

Whitbread May 7, 2015:

How is the pump un-tuneable now? I still can set the rest position of the pin, set the spring preload with the star wheel, and trim the white plastic spacer if I need further down travel. I'm well aware the pin is eccentrically ground; at the most aggressive ramp angles with the idle screw as low as it can be and fuel screw in as far as it can be without hanging rpms, it wouldn't haze anywhere in the rpm range and was 100% smoke free at wot. EGT's wouldn't even break 800F. A quick throttle snap would give a tiny puff, but that was it. The throttle lever has never been moved from original setting, so I think that's out of any equation there. I took off the TPS and broke the Bosch yellow paint on the nut. And yes, the boost reference line is hooked up to the correct port on the aneroid.

Now, with the pin ground to my liking, rest position and star wheel tweaked, I get a reasonable puff if I snap the throttle, a light haze at WOT, and egts peak at 1050F with MUCH more power. The "funny" driving characteristics I speak of have nothing to do with my "murdered" pin, they're all governor or timing control. My boost vs fuel vs smoke curve is perfectly acceptable. My main gripe is the extreme sensitivity of the throttle at low load/low rpm. It can be really hard to keep it from bucking in such a light vehicle in the first 2 gears. I know the condition would be better if I backed down the fuel screw, but that's not worth the power loss.
-------------------
theman53 May 7, 2015:

I think Whitbread's point was that the "throttle" lever was never moved...it needs to be if you are going to get the desired result without grinding your pin.
-------------------
Libby May 8, 2015:
The boost pin is for tailoring the boost/fuel map.  It is not for adjusting max fuel.  The adjustments required for adjusting max fuel are present on the pump in other ways and using the boost pin to accomplish those results will result in a poorly tuned injection pump.  "When you want milk it's better to milk your cow rather than your horse."  I would describe a ground boost pin as un-tunable because you cannot change the rate of the increase in boost fuel.  The other three adjustments you describe (rest position, preload, total movement) just move the map but you are now 'locked in' as far as pin angle and have no way to change the map.  With the unground pin, you could adjust the rotation to provide an even amount of fuel increase across the range of boost pressure.  If you have too much fuel at higher pressure and too little at low pressure then rotate to be less aggressive - or vice versa.  Once you have the boost fuel curve relatively even, then adjust max fuel so that you have the desired amount of haze across the board.  If, on the other hand, you have inadequate max fuel and try to compensate by increasing the boost pin angle, if you do reach your desired max fuel that way, the result is an under-fueled/under-powered engine any time you are below max boost.

"The throttle lever has never been moved from original setting, so I think that's out of any equation there."

I don't see why you would think that adjusting max fuel, governor spring tension, idle, max rpm and grinding the boost pin are all acceptable mods but the accelerator lever to shaft orientation should stay at the stock setting.  The lever to shaft orientation adjustment is there for a very good reason and not making use of it severely limits one's ability to increase max fuel and keep the car 'streetable'.  If that wasn't an intentional adjustment, the lever would not have splines and would only go on one way.  The lever to shaft orientation should always set to the position that allows the desired max fuel and idle but one spline further in rotation and idle backed all the way out will cause the revs to hang and on all stock pumps it is set that way.  If you attempt to increase the max fuel any significant amount from stock you must change the accelerator lever to shaft orientation or you get the hanging rpms and the bucking that you describe.  If you are stuck on keeping the accelerator to shaft orientation at the stock position you severely limit the pump's max fuel.  In fact, you have not maxed out the pump fueling until you have the max fuel screw all the way in bottomed on the pump case (you can even usually remove a couple mm of case material and gain a considerable amount of max fuel).  At that point you would likely need to be a couple clicks from stock in order to maintain a decent idle and avoid the jumpy accelerator and bucking you describe.  I have actually tuned a couple pumps to the point that the max fuel was bottomed on the case (and the case modified for greater max fuel adjustment) and they still had entirely civilized road manners.

With your description of your pump tuning techniques it is no surprise that you are disappointed with the results.  The poor results you describe, however, are not an intrinsic limitation of the mechanical pump to deliver the desired fueling curve but rather a limitation to the techniques you are using in adjustment.  I agree that most individuals would have better results having a tuner do a tune on their eTDI rather than attempt to self-tune a mechanical injection pump but that is apples to oranges.  Apples to apples is the fact that most individuals would do a crap job in tuning their own ECU and a crap job of tuning their own mechanical pump.

I would add that the stock boost pin position/angle is optimally matched to the spring that is with it.  Most often when increasing the boost, the necessary pump adjustments are the max fuel screw, accelerator lever to shaft orientation and idle, and the aneroid is best left alone.  When increasing boost significantly it may be desirable to increase the range of the pin's motion and spring pre-load (done most easily through by removing the atmospheric bleed fitting), but otherwise changing the aneroid is typically an act of detuning.

IMO a too-aggressive boost pin angle is actually worse than a too-mild one.  With the too aggressive angle, the engine is underfueled at no-boost or low-boost which extends turbo spool times and yet is over-fueled at max boost/max pedal making excessive smoke and excessive EGTs.  With a more mild pin slope, you can get a bit of extra fuel at no-boost/low-boost times which can help spool the turbo quickly, but as boost rises, the fuel to air is reduced and the result is low EGTs and no smoke at max boost/max pedal.  To me, that is much preferred.
-------------
Libby from the Samba:

If you get the hanging revs, most likely the idle is too high. If you run out of idle adjustment, you can jump a spline on the accelerator to shaft orientation. You want the shaft to rotate clockwise relative the lever. You will then need to turn up the max fuel, but you will be able to get to a higher max fuel and will have quite a bit more idle adjustment available to prevent the hanging revs.

Also, some timing belt install tips:

Lock cam with special VW tool for your engine, release cam pulley,
lock injection pump with pin, release the 3 pulley bolts.
Verify crank/flywheel is lined up at bellhousing or other TDC verification using a long dial indicator on a magnetic base, with long pointer through #1 cylinder glow plug/injector hole
Replace idler and tensioner
Install new belt
Tension belt
Tighten injection pump and cam pulley,
Remove locking tools
Rotate crank 4 full revolutions by hand gently to check for interference (if changing on an in-service engine, rotate by hand before beginning job to get a feel for force required)
verify at flywheel that timing marks and tool locking locations still all line up after exactly 4 revolutions of engine by hand
install lock tools -  if all fit in properly, your timing is good.
pull center bolt from back of injection pump,
put dial indicator in, remove locks and dial in the IP timing to the proper specification
Remove dial, install bolt in back side of injection pump,
Remove lock tools
Start it up and run it. change next timing belt in 80,000 miles! Sooner if you have an 11mm injection pump and stock nozzles, or 12mm injection pump and even DLC 520 nozzles etc. 

I just swapped on a LR pump onto an ALH. The one thing I did want to mention that I didn't see in here is there is indeed a keyway cut into the LR pump input shaft. The keyway indicates which delivery valve is getting fuel on the pump head. This will need to be lined up with the correct delivery valve for the VW engine as the LR #1 cylinder is not the same as the VW on the pump. I timed the pump by milling the slot in the ALH hub wider, and then using a pin to set the pump at 1.54mm with the pin in place. Once timed, the pin will interfere with the pulley, so it can't be left in position. The slots in the pully allow for enough adjustment to pull the pin out, loosely bolt the pulley on,  put the belt on, then with the engine locked, you can use the nut on the hub to rotate the hub to set your timing, then tighten the 3 bolts. One thing to note, my ALH had torque to yield bolts holding the pulley to the hub, I replaced with grade 10.9 flange bolts. 

Here is an ALH running on the LR pump:

https://youtu.be/DaDPjaHwWus

Yes, thank you for pointing that out!  I had forgotten to mention that as it's not talked about with as much frequency as the other details of bolting one of the Rover pumps on.
Interesting intake manifold/turbo setup you have got going on there!  To save hood clearance?  The AAZ intake and exhaust manifolds work out real well for hood clearance, but so does clocking the engine over towards the passenger fender with an AAZ exhaust manifold or other manifold that allows the turbo to be flipped up top and re-clocked appropriately. 

EDIT: I've added a bunch of additional cut and paste info in the first post, snippets from what I deemed pertinent, as well as some opposing viewpoint discussions, and my own commentary here and there.

Land Rover 300TDI pump governor mod info from Fatmobile:

I also got a chance to do the governor mod.
The MTDI FAQ thread suggested the governor mod works great with this pump which doesn't rev well above 4,000 or 4,200rpm.
But it didn't really tell what kind of governor mod they did.
Here's how I do them:

49225386483_afac9239dd_c.webp

The spring gets removed and replaced by (in this case) 2 washers.
I tried one shim and there was some slop, the spring wasn't under pressure.

Also note that there are several different 300TDI engines which use the mechanical pump (and only 2 or 3 models near the end of the 300TDI which are drive by wire like the VW TDI), and there are two different pump timing dial indicator specs for the two different types of pumps, broken down by non-EGR 300TDI pumps and EGR 300TDI pumps.  I believe the EGR pump spec is 1.40mm? The non-EGR pump spec is 1.54mm, that number I am certain of, but the EGR vs non-EGR I may have flip flopped, and the 1.40mm was just from memory.  I'll have to confirm these. 
The EGR pumps I believe also had a throttle position sensor, but if that TPS has been removed, you may not have any other way to determine externally if it was an EGR pump with a TPS aside from looking up the pump part numbers, which I have found much conflicting information on... See the VWDiesel.net mTDI FAQ thread page 12 or so.
*stock Land Rover 300TDI pump without Throttle Position Sensor = 1.54mm timing
*stock Land Rover 300TDI pump WITH Throttle Position Sensor = 1.45mm timing

In addition to all of that, I definitely recommend reading the mTDI/TDI-M sticky thread at VWDiesel.net, watching dozens of informative YouTube videos on Bosch VE pump tuning, and tracking down some Bosch manuals for Diesel Injection pumps or diesel engine management systems that cover VW's from 1983 - 2003 applications. 1983 - 1994 will give you basically all of the same principles, the pumps work the same but the TDI pumps have a larger parts that build more pressure

I can post a few other links for part numbers or applications for aftermarket OEM application VW radiators for the swap, coolant flanges for ALH+, hydraulic engine mounts, etc.

More rehash, from Andrew L, for further clarification:

The ALH hub and sprocket will fit onto the LR pump in the stock manner and will achieve the correct sprocket alignment. There is not any shimming of the pump mounting required. The added depth of the outside of the sprocket will rub the AHU timing cover, though. The LR shaft has a keyway, but the ALH hub does not. No key is used.

I have not found fitting the ALH hub to be difficult. You can use a dial indicator to time the pump. You can rotate the shaft using a wrench on the hub nut. Then when you have the desired plunger lift, remove the side bolt shim and lock the pump shaft in place. Then install the hub/pin and torque the hub nut. Be aware that the LR pin hole is larger in diameter than the VW. I have just rotated the hub CCW until the smaller VW pin hits that side of the hole in the case as that is the direction that the internal tension in the pump wants to push the shaft. I have not been concerned with the super-accurate positioning of the hub/pin as I consider it just a rough timing setting in order the get the belt on the correct tooth. Once the belt is on, the fine timing is done by loosening the three sprocket/hub bolts and rotating shaft relative sprocket. Another option is to install an appropriate bushing in the pump case in order to have the pin fit tightly in both the hub and case. Also be aware that the boss of the pin hole protrudes further on the LR pump than it does on the ALH so the stock ALH sprocket bolts will actually interfere. I prefer trimming the case slightly for clearance. Shorter bolts can also be used, but if someone in the future does not realize that, disaster could result.

The short delivery valves can be used from any pump. I've used the TDI ones and I've also used the 1.6 delivery valves on quite a few pumps without issue.

It will run quite well out of the box. You may want to adjust max fuel and idle but those adjustments are very easy and not actually required.

---------------------------------------
svenakela @ the Samba:

I've remade the rear bracket on my Landy conversions and moved the back flow valves from the original pump as they are shorter than the valves on the Landy pump. Except that you are good to go.

I've found that timing the pump as per LR spec gives more smoke and a more noisy engine. I have now backed the pumps a little bit and they are much smoother and runs with less noise.
It's all documented here:
http://switchamotor.blogspot.com/2010/08/pump-position-after-tweaking.html
http://switchamotor.blogspot.se/2012/04/mtdi-idi-hybrid.html
------------------------------------
When mounting the VW hub and sprocket you will need to either use bolts that are shorter than the stock VW sprocket to hub bolts or trim a small amount of material from the LR pump pin boss.

To set the timing, insert the dial indicator with some preload. Rotate the pump shaft CCW to make sure you are at the low part of the camplate. Rotate the shaft CW until you can fit a tight fitting drill bit into the LR hub and pump case. Take the dial indicator reading. Remove the hub nut and pull the hub. You can run bolts down through the hub and place a piece of steel between bolt and pump case to push against. Then crank the bolts down until the hub pops off. Look at your AHU bracket and notice the pump lock pin position (it is opposite the face that bolts to the block). When the pump is injecting for #1, the shaft keyway is opposite the AHU pump lock. Said another way, when installed and about to inject for #1, the keyway is pointing at the block. On the side of the LR pump near the pump mounting flange, there is a hex head bolt with a shim under it. You remove the shim and use that bolt to lock the pump shaft. Before doing that, rotate the pump shaft CW until the dial indicator reading is the same as with the lock pin in place. With the reading the same, lock the shaft. Place the VW hub on the shaft, insert a drill bit that fits tightly and rotate it CCW on the shaft until it fits tightly against the side of the hole in the LR pump case and tighten the hub nut down. Unlock the shaft and replace the lock bolt shim.

You don't have to replace the accelerator lever but you may want to fabricate an extension for it that angles down. The issue is that it can hit the engine lid. If you PM your e-mail I can send a pdf of a cable bracket that can be easily made from sheet metal.
--------------------------

When installing the ALH hub on the LR pump, you need to lock the shaft at the desired plunger lift with the sprocket keyway pointing toward the #1 delivery valve.
In order for the VW pin to fit accurately in the LR pump, the pin hole will need to be bushed.

Rotate the pump shaft to face the keyway toward the #1 delivery valve, lock it at the correct timing spec (1.40-1.45mm non-EGR, or 1.54mm EGR) using a longer bolt in the side bolt hole. Install the pin and hub. Torque the hub nut (I'd recommend 45 ft-lbs).

Here are a few other items to attend to on the ALH. To mount the LR pump to the ALH, you can run a tap into the three mounting holes at the sprocket end of the pump and use M10 bolts if memory serves. They are larger than the stock ALH bolts but will just barely fit through the holes in the timing cover/bracket. You will need to either use slightly shorter sprocket to hub mounting bolts or remove a small amount of material from the pump case where the timing pin will go in. The LR mounting plate by the injection lines will not work without modification. I have not personally used the LR mounting plate. The LR pump casting around the pump pin hole protrudes further than the ALH pump in the same location. Because of this, if ALH sprocket to hub bolts are used, the bolts will hit the case. You can clearance it a bit at that location or use shorter bolts.

Common problem with mTDI pump swaps from other makes of vehicles, such as the Land Rover Bosch VE mechanical DI pumps... people get very confused as to how to orient the ALH pump sprocket's hub on the Land Rover pump.  The slot in the shaft taper is to point at the #1 cylinder's delivery valve at #1 TDC on compression stroke.  The #1 cylinder's injector line on the Land Rover pump is NOT the same delivery valve that the VW #1 cylinder injector line ties into... This slot always needs pointed at the #1 cylinder when installing the VW timing belt sprocket/pulley ALH sprocket hub with lock pin tool aligned...

20100728193-792079.jpg

A note from the same guy who's photo I referenced directly above this,
"The engine was pretty noisy, and my own mTDI is pretty noisy as well. I decided to retard the pump timing a bit more. My own setup that is a copy of the Land Rover spec is 1.4 mm, and now I backed the pump to 1.32 - 1.35-ish.
Maybe, but very much maybe, I noticed a slightly slower acceleration. But the torque is still equally crazy and the engine is less noisy. It's actually a huge difference regarding the noise.
If you go the Landy-pump route, try a lower setup which seems to fit the VW engine better. "

*I will say that the noise is lessened with larger injector nozzles, so keep that in mind, retard the pump timing slightly to quiet down smaller or factory nozzles (.205 or OEM VW), but by .216 & above you may benefit in power, efficiency, and less smoke to keep it just a hair on the more advanced side.

I'll also post a few other mTDI pumps that are proven to be great swaps onto a VW TDI 4 cylinder:

0460424138 VW LT2.8 factory mTDI pump (VW LT van but engine is actually built by MWM International (Brazillian plant for Navistar International, formerly International Harvester in US).  Same length delivery valves even, same front nose area fitment as the Land Rover 200TDI/300TDI pumps. 12mm pump - requires .216 or larger nozzles, not good for over 5000rpm due to large 12mm plunger (best for big power at lower rpm up to stock TDI 4500RPM redline).  AHU style slotted mounting holes, so AHU/1Z pump sprocket is the one to use, but also can use an ALH sprocket/hub to avoid stressing the injection lines when swinging the pump to adjust timing.

0460424360 MWM Sprint 4.07 TCA (same engine as VW LT2.8 ) but the General Dynamics Growler Light Strike military vehicle version pump with higher governor, different timing spring, and a different cam plate. 12mm, same 12mm notes as above, AHU & IDI style slotted front mounting holes as well.

04604141207(?)
Kia 2,9TDi engines from Carnival/Sedona vans in Europe, 1999-2001 or as late as 2006 per the specs I saw for the 178 version
11mm with very aggressive cam plate, same front fitment as the others, swap VW delivery valves as these are too long, same as Land Rover.
Also AHU/1Z/IDI style slotted mounting holes, so you can use either the AHU/1Z pump sprocket, or the ALH pump sprocket/hub

Also a tuning note from Andrew Libby (one of the mTDI wizards), if you keep cranking up the max fuel screw for more and more power, but reach a point where you cannot get the engine to settle back down to idle with the idle stop pulled all the way out, you just need to mark the throttle cable linkage on the pump splined shaft, and remove the linkage and re-index it so that you can get a lesser throttle position than the previous setting, and still have more room to crank in the max fuel screw. 
THIS is the key to making as much power as an electronic TDI setup, as the eTDI vs mTDI pumps use the same pump parts (but many different cam plate profiles exist, all generally swappable), as the mechanical pumps can deliver every bit as much fuel as an electronic TDI VE pump due to having the same pumping parts.  It's just a matter of getting enough air into the engine with proper turbo selection, manifold selection, and head porting / camshaft upgrades.  Those all will give an mTDI or eTDI the ability to cleanly burn higher quantities of fuel pumped into the engines. 

These VE pumps are limited in fueling capabilities vs a Common Rail setup, but for what they are and how old the technology is, these VE pumps work INCREDIBLY WELL to achieve up to a certain power level, electronic or mechanical pump control.  The electronic pumps just have a finer tuning capability to control the pump timing overall, and also even alter the injection timing based on engine temps, so that it will run better on cold starts.  The lower end of things is where TDI pump control varies more mTDI vs e.  And boost pin taper vs electronic fueling curve under various boost levels.  You can grind your own custom boost pins if you need a very highly aggressive taper, or buy Land Rover or Cummins 4BT aftermarket boost pins with a single aggressive grind.  With the ECU, you have to alter the curve on a computer and upload it.  A bit faster than grinding a custom fueling curve into a boost pin, but about the same time as swapping boost pins or rotating a stock Bosch VE boost pin to a more or less aggressive profile.  They have a variable profile from the Bosch factory, unlike most aftermarket VE boost pins.
There's also the star wheel under the boost pin which is the preload setting for the spring which the diaphragm/boost pin assembly pushes against when various levels of boost are introduced into the boost reference port at the top of the pump. A stiffer preload setting will require more boost to move the pin. Don't forget that you probably are also tweaking the max fueling screw as well, so you may be starting out with more fuel after that even at the same boost pin taper/height settings.  All these adjustments play into each other, so you need to be experimenting around with performance tuning until you've achieved the best combination of results after lots of small tweaks.  Also be sure to check the injection timing often if you have a diesel pulse adapter, as it may vary slightly with differing fueling adjustments.  Without the diesel pulse adapter, you are best just simply experimenting with re-adjusting the timing just a slight bit one way or the other after pump fueling adjustments, to see if it runs any better, quieter, more/less smokey, etc. 
There's also other tweaks of putting a timing piston cover spacer under the timing cover on the side of the pump or swapping the cover from an electronic TDI, for less preload and a wider range of dynamic timing, and also swapping to a lighter timing spring as well.  The lime green spring from the 1.5 and some 1.6D Vanagon injection pumps is a scarce thing these days, but those are the most sought after.  There's a post in here somewhere showing the different color codes vs stiffnesses of all the VW timing piston springs. 
Another more advanced tweak is the internal case pressure of the pump.  This can be increased somewhat easily with the proper tools to monitor it, but decreasing it requires opening up the pump.  This will also alter the dynamic timing curve, max fueling, etc.  This is a more advanced tuning tweak.

Don't forget about the mTDI/TDI-M  FAQ @ VWDiesel.net :
http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,6427.120.html

Things get good starting around the end of page 9 / post #133

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom