Inclinometer

DpSyChO

While walking through the pick-n-pull one day I saw a Inclinometer/oil/ temp guage in a mitishubishi raider  I think it was. I looked it over and thought I may  make it work in something one day, so I picked it up for a cool $7. Fast forward 6+ months and I'm in another pick-n-pull getting sidekick 3rd members and spy a stripped 2wd samurai , about the only thing worth getting was the brown dash with a grey radio surround trim piece. I pull it and go up to pay the guy for the 3rd members and the surround. I finally got around to putting the two together, and here is some pics.
Here is a pic with the inclinomerer removed from the pod it come in and the extra radio surround trim  I have:

I1.JPG

Here is the trim piece after I cut a 2 1/2" hole with a hole saw:

I2.JPG

Here is a pic of the trim piece with  whats left of the "rectangle grove" lightly hit with a handheld sandblaster:

I3.JPG

After I filled in the grove with body filler and painted:

I4.JPG

Here it is insalled. you can see a couple of dips where the groves were, I should have beveled the circle before I put the body filler on it. The filler sanded a whole lot easier than the plastic and it  left dips, oh well.

I5.JPG

Here is another pic:

I6.JPG

And another:

I7.JPG

I tried 3 different cans of trim/vinyl dye that had, none looked good because they didnt match, the pics shown are black laquer primer, it ended up looking the best. I may rub the whole thing down with a red scotchbright and put the dye that matched best on the whole trim piece. Where the samurai is sitting now, its like I'm sitting at 2 1/2* downhill, so it is not at 0*, but it may be my yard. I am going to take it out to the school when I get it screwed in to see for sure how far  it is off. I'm making a cb mount to go in the ashtray, after I get that finished, I'll post a pic of it mounted in the samurai.
Mike

I was in Finland last summer. They had a lot of Mitsubishi Pajaros (same as a dodge radier). They where about as common as ford explorers are in North America. I tried to find one in a bone yard but I didn't have any luck. I wanted to install The inclinometer in the center round clock hole in my early 88' dash. I have seen a pic on the net somewhere of this being a factory option.

I drove a rental Mistubishi Pajero on my Bosnia tour in 2004. Wish I had pinched the inclinometer when I had the chance >:(. We had some newer ones too that had electric ones, now that would have been cool in the zuk ;D

Steve

Clean looking install. 8)  That is were I put my tach.  The question is, what is the reading just before the samurai flips over? ;D

bmp said:
Clean looking install. 8)  That is were I put my tach.  The question is, what is the reading just before the samurai flips over? ;D

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I hope I never find out  :P
The most I have had it since I put it in is to 20*up+15*sideways, not much but enough to make me butt cheeks clamp together when I wasnt expecting that much at once. ;D

I just picked one of these up for 10 bucks, entire assembly.

I gotta figure out how to mount it in a Tracker...

ghost said:
I just picked one of these up for 10 bucks, entire assembly.

I gotta figure out how to mount it in a Tracker...

Great find, mine was $50, as for mounting how about getting your sawzall out...

lol, dont got a sawzall.  I want to keep the interior looking nice though.  I figure If I can figure out the wiring on it, Ill just use the entire cluster on the top on the dash back by the windsheild.  I test fit it and it looked purdy.  Plus, the inclinometer was almost even when I sat it up there to test it.

Only roblem I forsee running into is the oil pressure gauge.  Im not sure on how to wire that up.  Voltmeter should be easy though. So should be the lights in the console.

ghost said:
lol, dont got a sawzall.  I want to keep the interior looking nice though.  I figure If I can figure out the wiring on it, Ill just use the entire cluster on the top on the dash back by the windsheild.  I test fit it and it looked purdy.  Plus, the inclinometer was almost even when I sat it up there to test it.

Only roblem I forsee running into is the oil pressure gauge.  Im not sure on how to wire that up.  Voltmeter should be easy though. So should be the lights in the console.

my oil presure gauge is michanical, so mine's fairly ez, drill a hole, tap it, run a tube, hope it does not brake. if yours is electrical it's safer, but you will have to mount the sending unit, and run some wires.

What on a zuk cannot be fixed with a sawzall? It's one of my favorite tools for zuk-a-moding.

lol /\

I have an idea for this project.  Im gonna take just the inclinometer and modify the 3 hole cluster cover to a 1 holed unit.  I'll post a writeup in this topic when I do this.  I'll probably have it done on Friday when I dont have classes.

ghost said:
lol /\

I have an idea for this project.  Im gonna take just the inclinometer and modify the 3 hole cluster cover to a 1 holed unit.  I'll post a writeup in this topic when I do this.  I'll probably have it done on Friday when I dont have classes.

I started a rebuild on mine, I actually just finished re-painting and I am going to post pictures soon.. here's a link to what I got done so far http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=433. It might help

I have the faceplate thing modified to a one hole plate but, Im thinking Im gonna run into a snag with modifing the actaul housing.

It appears to have a 2 layer thick metal plate going through it.  After I figure out how to cut this (HACKSAW, HELL YEA)  all I have to do is Gorilla Glue the sides together make it look purdy.

I have the inclinometer mounting already thought out.  IM gonna scrape off the foam crap on it and use 3M mounting tape all around it.  I think I do the same to mount the front plate as well.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom