how you did your exhaust on a VW TD swap

It depends, the early TDI (ahu, 1z) and all IDI diesels are usually ran over the top of the bellhousing behind the head. The ALH and later TDI engines require a bunch of shenanigans. I bought a steel oil pan with the intention of notching the rear and tucking it in nice and close so the driveshaft wouldn't hit it. I didn't do the notch and ended up hitting the exhaust with the driveshaft. 

The most common way, for the 1.6, 1.9 NA's and turbo's, is to make a 2 inch HEADER PIPE that bolts directly to your exhaust manifold port and goes strait back to your firewall and bends to the left (between your firewall and engine) above the transmission bell-housing. That pipe changes to a 90 degree bend (down toward the pavement) and terminates close to your transmission tab mount (with a exhaust mounting flange on the end). Attach a 90 degree pipe with a flexcoupler and brace (to your trans bellhousing tab to eliminate cracking) pointing to the rear of your Suzuki. 

So, for your 1.6 Turbo application, you will want to start by deleting the use of your stock cast turbo down pipe with the donut on the end and attach your own new header pipe directly to the back of your turbo exhaust output. Make or buy a flange that bolts to your turbo and have the header pipe welded to it and follow the shape described above.

You can purchase this header pipe from Acmeadapters if you don't want to make one yourself.

Attachments

Awesome I appreciate it Brother! I actually don't have that cast iron down pipe mine came out of a Quantum north south configuration so already have the correct exhaust flange, just had to change the exhaust manifold to a center dump. the one on the Quantum would have been about an inch from the fire wall! Just ordered my kit from Acme, rebuilding the trans as we speak. Unfortunately I have to send the injection pump off to be rebuilt :( it runs great as long as you force feed it. got a buddy that's a pump rebuilder but his test bench is set up for common rail, the only thing he can make money on! So let the Games begin!

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom