How To: Swap a Tranny now w/ pics

isbb

This is for a 1.3 tranny mated to a 1.6 engine.. im pretty sure its a 1.3 tranny anyhow you will get the how i did it anyways...
First I started inside the samurai:

1) Pull the shift knob
2) unbolt the boot
normal_IMGP0195.JPG

3) Pull up the plastic piece around the base of the shifter
normal_IMGP0197.JPG

4) unbolt the three bolts holding the shifter in place
normal_IMGP0201.JPG

5) pull out shifter
    (NOTE)  BE CAREFUL OF BROKEN SHIFTER LOCATING BOLT (NOTE)
6) Head under the samurai

Now we go underneath

1) Drain the gear oil outta the tranny
normal_IMGP0203.JPG

Now would be a good time since you have the drain pulg outta your tranny to install a magnetic one
normal_IMGP0204.JPG

2) while thats draining pull out the intermediate shaft
    (NOTE)  Now might also be a good time since you have 2 12MM wreches in your hand to disconnect the front driveshaft at the transfercase and swing it outta the way depends on your situation. That extra inch or two helped me out alot (NOTE)
3) after your tranny is drained remove the starter
    (NOTE) DISCONNECT THE BATTERY (NOTE)
normal_IMGP0207.JPG

4) remove the clutch cable
5) start by breaking loose the two 19MM bolts on the bottom of the tranny and the 2 14MM bolts on the top of the tranny
6) Remove the rear tranny mount from the tranny as well as the crossmember
normal_IMGP0203.JPG

They would be the 4 bolts in that gold color looking plate unerneath the tail housing
7) remove the 2 14mm bolts and the two 19mm bolts
8) wiggle and jiggle the tranny until it comes out and falls on you ( i shoulda had a better grip )

Now that thats outta the way we can move onto the clutch
1) unbolt the 6 bolts holding the cluch in place and remove
normal_IMGP0209.JPG

2) Pull the flywheel off.. A impact comes in real hand here
3) Inspect the fly wheel.. if its glazed over and you can see hot spots get it resurfaced or purchase a reman one.  Mine needed a re-surfacing but since no machine shops were opened i had to resort to a piece of emry cloth to roughen it up a bit ( NOT THE SUGGESTED WAY but works in a pinch )
4) I couldnt get the pilot bearing out while the flywheel was on so i grabbed a socket to match the diameter of the bearing and a BFH..
5) re-install the pilot bearing using BFH..
6) Bolt the flywheel back in place.
7) get your new pressure plate and clutch tampon and pay attention to which side goes towards the flywheel and which side goes towards the clutch housing..  Luckily my centerforce had the idiot sticker that said THIS SIDE FLYWHEEL.
normal_IMGP0218.JPG

8) Insert tampon thru pressure plate and into pilot bearing on the flywheel
9) slide the new clutch housing over the tampon and over the pressure plate lining it up w/ the studs on the flywheel..
10) torque the bolts into place and pull the tampon after each bolt to make sure everythign is still lined up and moving free..
normal_IMGP0220.JPG

Now that thats done and outta the way you would just go in reverse putting everything back together.. In my case i had another tranny so i had to swap over some sensors thingys and the adapter plate.. and bolted my new one up into place..

Also dont forget to grease up the input shaft of the tranny w/ white lithium grease for the new throwout bearing to slide on..

If your tranny has been sitting for a while open to the elements my suggestion would to be fill it up w/ good ol 10-40 motor oil and run it in first gear w/ the transfercase in neutral for about 5 minutes.. this cleans all the crap up inside there.. Drain it out and refil w/ gear oil.. :D all should be good and you should be on your way to a new happy tranny and clutch setup.

Bad throwout bearing
normal_IMGP0208.JPG

Old Clutch vs. New clutch
normal_IMGP0216.JPG

I tried to get more pictures but forgot about the camera when i was wrestling w/ the tranny gettin it back in the stinkin thing... Taking it out is the easy part... gettin back in is a PITA..

now that i read that thread yesterday now im having trouble getting it to go into gear. thats my luck try and learn something and i jinx my self oh well i have four trannies so i think i will be good on that end

you need to make sure the tranny is actually in neutral first... if you look down inside the top of the tranny where the shifter slides in you will see the two springs that are for the left and right and just under neath that you will see all the little deals that actually shift for ya..  They need to be lined up.. if they arent you will have a hard time gettin the shifter in the proper posistion... trust me on that one.. :D  took some fiddling but you will get it... Also mine was a little hard to shift at first but after it ran it got easier... must of been from sitting forever.. :D

thanks but i figured out it was just the cable it was a little loose so i tightened it about four turns and now its great

can change a clutch on the trail in under an hour
In the garage I would say about 2 hours max which includes time for steam
cleaning the tranny, resurfacing the fly wheel and a six pack of Lite.
  [idea]Also you will probably have to remove that stupid little crossmember to get the tranny out

Attachments

• bar1.webp
    bar1.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 281
for 2 noobs w/ very limited tools and resources... took me a couple hours in my moms driveway... :D  the biggest part was getting that little bugger lined up and put back in... that was a pain in butt..

wow wish my dad had sen this he had me and my buddy pull out the hole engine!! this would have been allot faster.

sv16dan said:
wow wish my dad had sen this he had me and my buddy pull out the hole engine!! this would have been allot faster.

not sure of that, as someone stated. they can be a bugger to line up especially if you are doing it alone

when i put my clutchs in a stock one and a centerforce i had to have the trany already in place and then put the clutch in. couldnt get the tranny to go back far enough to clear the clutches. so what did i do wrong i had all the mounts out that you can take off.  ???

i kept wiggling and jiggling and movin stuff and eventually she just DROPPED in.. I did have that problem you are talking about and thought it wasnt right so i kept farkin with it and sure enough it dropped in.    To be totally honest i will probably go back to a petroworks clutch when i get my samurai back.. i didnt much like that centerforce.. well i guess ill burn up the centerforce first then get the petroworks one.

sv16dan said:

I made you pull the whole engine as a learning experience! If you're gonna steal my Sammy, your going to learn to work on it!!
Now if we could just work on that spelling.......

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom