How to Repair a broken frame . F 250 tower install .

sammi_davis

Well a combination of my F 250 Shock tower and too long a shock with no bumpstop came to a sad ending . I had looked at the mounts and wondered why the previous owner had welded them straight to the frame , but the welds looked good so I left them be .

If you are putting F 250 towers on you can use this as  a guide for making the frame stronger and better able to handle the load of the tower .
stizuff_001.jpg

We ratchet strapped it and I removed the shock back at camp . Believe it or not it didn't feel squirrelly with just 1 shock up front .
stizuff_002.jpg

stizuff_003.jpg

I cut out the few welds that were still holding . This took a lot longer than I thought it would .
stizuff_004.jpg

stizuff_005.jpg

Here it is all removed .
stizuff_006.jpg

I found a nice piece of angle that was the same height as the frame rail .
stizuff_008.jpg

I cut it with the Porta Band to almost the same width as the top of the frame . I wanted it a little narrower so I could weld it from the top edge .
stizuff_009.jpg

Here it is all in place and ready to go .
frame_repair_017.jpg

Next I removed the positive from the battery cable .
frame_repair_009.jpg

I chamfered the edges with a 6" grinder and stuck it in place .
frame_repair_013.jpg

Once it was welded on  both ends I stitched the bottom and the back that were difficult to reach .
frame_repair_007.jpg

I ran my welder (HD 100 Lincoln ) on C for heat and a wire speed of 3.5 The around the corner bead isn't too bad but the other welds came out good . These are flux core welds .
frame_repair_016.jpg

Heres the finished repair all painted up . The F 250 shock tower will go back on this and it will spread the load over a much larger and thicker surface . The bumpstops will take some pressure off the mount also .

The F 250 tower shouldn't be welded to the frame without plate anyways . This is the 4th tower I have seen tear the frame . Before it tears the other side I will do the same process . I will add to this once I get home from Texas and weld the new tower to the now strengthend  frame .

nice work greg! i'd like to add one thing if i may ... when plating the frame, it's generally a good idea for the plate to be a hexagonal shape (that's six sided ;)) this allows more weld area and more surface area for the plating to do its job.

I agree that I should have angled the ends if it was a fishplate . But I used angle as it went over the top and gave me more area to tie it all together . I wish I had drilled a few holes and plug welded it too . Truthfully I wish I had a piece of C Channel that would fit it  ;D

I forgot who did this, but when he installed the ford shock towers,  he put a piece of metal as a backing plate to spread the load out.

Just saw that battery pic.  It's better to remove the negative cable, not the positive.  When taking out a battery or removing both cables, always do the negative first.

On Toyotas, we would run into problems if we didn't gusset the tower on the sides/behind it.  Amazing how many different groups  use the F250 tower.

Yea I bet Ford sells a BUNCH of them, they probably keep them in stock.  Now when is that part ever going to go BAD on a stock truck!?  ha ha.
Another tip--If you weld the bottom of the towers to the bottom of the frame, you will have a LOT more structure and flexing of the metal on the frame will be minimal.

Nope, it would just rip off at the bottom and twist the top. 

Really needs to be gusseted.  What makes them last without gusseting was to make sure you had the bumpstops correct - so it would never ever bottom the shocks out.

greggearhead said:
Nope, it would just rip off at the bottom and twist the top.?

Really needs to be gusseted.? What makes them last without gusseting was to make sure you had the bumpstops correct - so it would never ever bottom the shocks out.

Could post a pic of the Gusset so I can see what yer talkin about? Thanks!!

Leaf sprung SAS Nissans use the F250 tower as well. Our frame is alreday double thick in that spot, so everyone just puts an additional 1/8" over the frame for good measure. Not one Nissan has ripped the mount off yet!

Just a side note on the F250 towers:  Don't go down and spend your hard-earned jack at the dealer for them.  Find your nearest off-road shop that does 1999 - 2004 SuperDuty lifts and I can almost guarantee you they will have a pile of them they will give you for nothing or next to nothing.  Those towers are one of the typical pieces that come off when someone wants dual shocks or a shock hoop up front and they get tossed in the scrap steel bin to get hauled off.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom