How to mount a Ford F-150 fuel pump for FI conversion

ScottsGT

Here's how I mounted my F-150 fuel pump.  You start with a 1988 F-150 External pump for the 5.0.  Go to the hardware store and buy a rubber plumbing coupler for about $6.  While you are buying the pump, grab a muffler clamp/hanger bracket, not sure of the size, that will fit around everything.  Slide the coupler over the pump, wrap the rubber insulator that comes with the pump around it, then install the hanger on the muffler USING LOCTITE ON THE NUTS.  Do not over tighten or you will crush the fuel pump.
  I then used two sheet metal screws and mounted the hanger above the rear axle on the body's floor crossmember and plumbed accordingly.
So far, it's still hanging in there.

FUELPUMPBRACKET.jpg

Nice info Scott. My question is, how much pressure does this pump put out, and do you need a regulator? Second, does it make much noise? I have heard some that sound like a diesel powered Zuk because the pump was LOUD!!??

The EFI throttle body has a regulator built in, so you don't need a separate on.

The ones you here that are really loud is because there's a restriction somewhere.  The return line on a zuk really isn't big enough for those pumps and often times the screen in the tank is clogged.

Or because most I have seen are setting unisulated right against the body or frame.  So all the noise an vibrations transfer through the vehicle.

With the exhaust hanger that has a rubber insulator, it is silent.  You can barely hear it when you first use it, but then use get use to it and don't even know that it is there.  I did install a larger fuel return line too.  But no regulator is needed.

how is your pump holding up???  sorry to revive the old thread.

Just thinking about using this pump for my swift gt swap.

So along with this pump, to convert to efi, all I need is an EFI fuel filter, and a larger return line than the vent tube?

or can I use the vent tube and remove the valve in it?

So far so good.  But I will admit, I don't drive the car all the time. Just my hunting truck.  But it is still silent, and pumps very well.  I ran a bigger line back to where the check valve WAS.  Yes, remove the check valve.  Then it is the smaller line into the tank, no problems.

another question, where did you mount it?

I tried mounting mine where the old fuel filter was and its much too long.  I just bent my lines around and made it work, but it seems kind of ghetto that way.

Same here. But mounted it "backwards" so the rubber fuel line wraps around the pump and back in the other direction. 
Ghetto, yet effective!

I know this thread is old..... but figured I could contribute a little info on the same subject.

F-150 external fuel pump is part # E2000 for those interested.

If you get the rubber sleeve that goes around the pump, the bracket that holds your coil on the firewall of your Zuk will hold this pump nicely.  ;D

ZukiJon said:
I know this thread is old..... but figured I could contribute a little info on the same subject.

F-150 external fuel pump is part # E2000 for those interested.

If you get the rubber sleeve that goes around the pump, the bracket that holds your coil on the firewall of your Zuk will hold this pump nicely.  ;D

exactly what i did, works very well

Im using the same pump. Just remember this is a PUSHER pump not a SUCKING pump, so mount pump as close to fuel tank as possible.

Photobucket started their campaign to charge everyone for posting, so I had to pull them to save bandwidth.  Sorry about that.  It's real easy to do though. Just get one of the exhaust hangers with the rubber isolators and clamp it around the pump. bolt other end to frame rail. 

ZukiJon said:

Figured I'd throw that out there again. Not shooting down Scotts method..... just, I was cheap like alot of other Sami owners ;D......... Scotts way looked good, absolutely nothing wrong with it.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom