How to make cheap inside panels

coldblud

After researching the materials and cost of professional installation, I decided to do the job myself. This job cost a total of approx. $100.

1. Measure around the side top of the Sami-you will need this for the trim

2.Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy 2 sheets of Luan, wood trim of your choice equal to the measurement around the top. and  a stick of flat moulding of your choice that will go across the middle of the top where the light is.

3. From JC Whitney, order  a roll of insulation that has the aluminum on one side. This will insulate from heat coming in from sun and noise too.  Put in all places where the panels are being replaced and ceiling(especially here to keep the paneling from flexing too much.

4. Measure the top side to side from the mid section to the front and cut a piece of luan to match making sure that it will go into the metal trim around the top. Fold it slightly and slide it into place.

5. Do the same from the mid section to the rear-It has got to be close and just past the lip of the metal trim.

6. Cut a piece of the flat wide moulding to reach across the mid of the top where the two pieces of luan meet, allowing  a little longer than the actual measurement. Bend it and put each end in place with the bowed trim down and then push up int he middle and it will snap into place.  Be sure to glue both pieces before doing this and then have a couple of pieces of wood that will  wedge from floor to the ceiling, hold the trim and panels in place until they dry.

7. While this is drying, remove the front panels, lay down on a piece of the luan, mark the outline, all the door handle and window holes. Then cut the luan with a sharp thick bladed knife. The luan is 1/8' to 1/4' thickness and this keeps it from splintering as if using a saw.

8. Re-attach the panels

9. Do the same for the rear panels- I marked my speakers just behind the seats and mounted them flush inside the panels..

10. Re-attach these

11. The luan I bought was birch wood, so after all the glue drys, I put a medium dark oak stain on it.

That's it and very nice looking for a cheap price...  Custom wood interior lol.....

Attachments

• Sami Rear panels.webp
    Sami Rear panels.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,317
Oooops - make sure you glue the trim moulding around the outside edge of top paneling to cover up any cracks and to hold the panels up.  Glue to the wood and to the metal around the edge..  Sorry, for that lol.......

i made wood roof on mine, and door panles cost me $8.95 for the wood..  Had the jig saw and saw.. ill post pictures, i still have to do the rear side panles.. but it looks awsome,

the wood was i think 12footx4 foot for 8.95, i know it was a deal could not pass it up, lol

Great! Good work! Just shows what can be done with a little thought and less money than other options that cost more, doesn't last as long or look as good....

Careful big boy,, I may be old but I may paddle out to your boat and bubble you if not careful  ;D.  With my talent for woodworking, it was hard to do.  Anyone else with a little skill would be a snap lol......

LOL, I don't remember.  I just went to a junkyard here and found some off a car that would screw into the panels.  That was an easy upgrade, since my old panels were in good enough shape to take off and trace their shape onto the wood.

Are they pretty solid? I was thinking about doing the same, but I didn't figure the door metal would eventually stretch and the screw would loosen...

Yes mine are solid so far.  Been almost a year and still good to go.  I put the panels up and then marked to holes for the arm rests, making sure there was metal behind the panels and drilled a smaller hole than the screws I used..

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom