How to make a receiver hitch bender mount

sammi_davis

More and more guys are getting benders and most run into  the same problem . Unless you have a full hydro unit they are a pain to use . If you lag them into the concrete in the garage they tend to rip the lags and inserts out over time . Then there are the guys like me who have the exclusive pine tree garage .
So I went by DeVinneys and he hooked me up with a piece of 2" .250 wall box tube . Then I used the scrap from my trusty metal pile to mock up what I wanted .
bender_001.jpg

This is a little tall and I am going to chop down the top half of the bender mount .. but you get an idea  of what I am after . With the bender tied to the truck I can ratchet away without having to pore concrete . Best of all when I am done I will be able to partially disassemble it and lean it against the fence .

bender_003.jpg

Next I notched the 2" tubing to accept the 1.5" tubing . This will give me more surface to weld and lowers the height a little too .I used a sawzall and followed the seam in just over 1.5"

bender_004.jpg

The the 1.5" tubing slipped right in .Then I used a ball peen to round over the outside edge to make a smaller gap

bender_005.jpg

I measured center and checked for square . Then I wire wheeled the surfaces ...checked for square again and tacked it .

bender_006.jpg

Heres the start of the bead to tie it all together ... my duty cycle was angry by the end of the night  ;D

bender_009.jpg

I used a piece of .25 " plate to go on top of the tubing . The four dots are going to be drilled out to accept the upper half of my bender mount . I centered it on the tube and tacked it into place . Two of the bolts will go through the 1.5" tubing and they will be sleeved .

Tomorrow I will weld the plate to the tubing the rest of the way and make the leveling feet .

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom