How to install a softop roll bar into a tintop.

Genchaos

There has been a few people that asked about doing this latley and I said there was an installation on the net about it. Well that link is no longer valid but I had save the website......and here it is.

*I did not do this install. I'm just passing it along. If it is your install, please let us know so you can get credit for it and not me.*

content

First remove the passangers seat and just to be safe the rear windows.  Also remove the straight brace -window guard on the rear windows as they will be in the way.
  Put a comealong on the bottom of the roll bar leggs and pull them in a bit.  You should now be able to slide it more or less in place

Rember it will be tight

content

We had the advantage of a Cherry Picker to push it up into place but a 2x4 cut a little long could be used to wedge it up in place.
  IT WILL BE TIGHT

content

After getting it where we wanted it we attached the upper clips to the Seat Belt bolts (remove the seatbelt bolts and put the clip in place and reinstall the bolt with the washers in the same order they were in )and then put a 2x4 spreader  between the legs to force them all the way out to the sides , we allso used the come along to pull the bottom of the leg back up aginst the inner fender and drilled and bolted them in place.  (Hooked the comealong to the rear bumper)

content

There is NO place to bolt the small rear braces to in the  Tin Tops so Rob spotted the Antie sway brackets that support the antie Sway bar in my spare parts can and sugested using them ,  worked out GRATE!! Note how my storage rack is now held in place by the brace and supported by the bracket.
    Couldn't have worked out better if we had actualy custom made everthing!!!
content

Done ~~  It looks like it came from the FACTORY . No rattles or squeeks as it fits way to tight .I was worried as we were installing it that it might force out the side a bit right above the window where it touches and cause the window not to seal but it proved NOT to be a problem.
    The Rack you see in the back of my Zuk is actualy A store display rack,  another one of Rob's adpations!!!

*I did not do this install. I'm just passing it along. If it is your install, please let us know so you can get credit for it and not me.*
Steve

Attachments

• 000_0040 (Medium).webp
    000_0040 (Medium).webp
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,968
  • 000_0049 (Medium).webp
    000_0049 (Medium).webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,469
  • 000_0051 (Medium).webp
    000_0051 (Medium).webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,429
I don't think that you could put one in the rear without modding the gas hose, or modding the roll bar to fit around the gas hose. :-\\\\  I've looked at doing this same thing, and just didn't see a way around it.

we had a tin top one time with a soft top roll bar it. and it was just welded  to the tub. ya that was fun getting it out of there. but ya if you do it right it would actually provided some more protection from rolling

maybe im just missing something here, but was the roll bar brought into the sammi through the rear door or through the side initially?

X-jeeper said:
maybe im just missing something here, but was the roll bar brought into the sammi through the rear door or through the side initially?
After looking at the pics.......I think you can do it either way. Probably better to go through the front though
They used straps to tighten the legs together.

Steve

ok, i tried this today by myself. This, as far as i can tell, is IMPOSSIBLE to do without an extra set of hands and an engine hoist...there is just no way to get the rollbar in place and pushed up far enough by hand. the leverage of the engine hoist is a necessity. If someone has done this without one, please post up!

I tried again and was sucessful in installing this. It took a engine hoist for sure to shoe horn that bad boy in there. BUT IT DOE'S fit.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom