How to find correct shock length.

Lizooki

old fossil
We see this a lot....

"Which shocks for my set-up?"

While it is true a lot of our rigs are similar, the truth is each induvidual build is different unless done by a mass produced kit. Even then there are still differences. Therefore, what works for one rig may not be the best for a similarly built rig.

So how do we find the correct length?? Easy, measure for shock travel.

1-Max out the flex on the axle. Stretch one side out, stuff the other ....both as much as possible.
This can be done several ways. A forklift, ditch, flex ramp (duh!) or a small, loud Japanese car, lowered w/ a nose kit on it. I wouldn't try a jack...they could move on you.

2-Measure between the shock mounts. The actual mounting locations. Either center of stud or bolt hole. This is how the shock companies do it. Measure both sides....the extension and compression will give the needed shock travel.

3- Add at last a half and inch to the extension....and add half an inch from compression.
This keeps the shock form acting as the bumpstop.

4- Go to your favorite parts store. Ask the guy at the counter for the shock book. They ALL have one....or more. If they won't let you....find another store.

5- Look up your stock application and take note of the mounting points (shock ends).

6- Match up the shock ends w/ the travel you need. You may have to give a little here and there.

7- Repeat steps 1-6 for the other axle if needed.

8-You're done!....GO WHEEL!

This works for any rig......even circle track racecars.
This should work for and grade of shock.....Ranchos to Red Ryders.

Matt 8)

Yep, I just went through this ordeal.  Man was it fun.  I didn't go with anything fancy schmancy...Just Sensatracs.  I found the stock mounting specs then went through the list of shocks, highlighted all the shocks with the same mounting configuration, then chose the ones with the most travel (min/Max)  One word of advise, be patient, if you're going with standard light truck shocks most of the auto parts stores, at least around here, don't carry the ones we need...go figure.  Have fun, good luck.

has anyone ever purchased long shocks at their local parts store, like more than 30" extended??? i went to my local store and in their book the longest thing i could find was 20 something odd inches.....  anyone??  i dont want to have to wait for something that i order

Well just me being a smart a$$ but in the time it took for you to get an answer here you could have ordered them...ha ha  Sorry man, had to do it... ;D

muskyslayr said:
One word of advise, be patient, if you're going with standard light truck shocks most of the auto parts stores, at least around here, don't carry the ones we need...go figure. 

Yep...I was able to get rears at Auto Drone.....but the fronts came from an independant parts place. Cheaper, and he coiuld get them in 2 hrs.

Maybe it was the rears I had to wait on...... :P

danthemanx07 said:
has anyone ever purchased long shocks at their local parts store, like more than 30" extended??? i went to my local store and in their book the longest thing i could find was 20 something odd inches.....  anyone??  i dont want to have to wait for something that i order

I dunno....I was looking for the mounting configuration....then looking for matching travel numbers....I didn't really pay attention to the length of the shock. But I seem to remember the longest thing I saw that had the correct mounting was 27" er so.

Matt 8)

Can you just measure static length from the upper mount to lower mount and find a shock that will have 4 inches of shaft showing  (up travel) ???

I can see this would get the length that would work but don't shocks differ in regard to the vehicles weight also? Not trying to cause trouble, just wondering.

Here's a diagram to help those who use 2" coil spacers.

Attachments

• Trackick Shock Selection.webp
    Trackick Shock Selection.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,845
One other consideration, and I felt the effects of this, is to make sure that the shocks arent TOO overrated for your zuk.  I put a set of big heavy duty shocks on mine and thought my tail bone was gonna break, it was super rough, and they didnt flex at all, the just held the zuk up to the max and wouldnt compress.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom