How to change your Samurai windshield

sammi_davis

My old windshield was busted up pretty good .So when Figmo at roadless gear put the poly shields on sale I ordered one up . This install will cover the install of a poly shield , but regular safety glass will go in about the same . There is no margin for error though with safety glass  ;D.

The 1st thing I did was put the new gasket in the sun so it would warm up and be pliable
zuk_cage_010.jpg

Next I ran a good sharp razor knife around the perimeter and cut through the gasket .
zuk_cage_012.jpg

Once the gasket was cut all the way around the glass popped out with just small nudge
zuk_cage_014.jpg

After the glass and gasket were removed I cleaned up all the rubber and glue that was left over  . In doing so I put in a few good nicks . I decided to go ahead and paint it to prevent rust when any moisture may get between the glass and seal. Over spray is art by the way  ;D
zuk_cage_017.jpg

Tomorrow I will post up pics of the cotton string and dawn dishsoap  technique ... If you hear bad words carrying your way it is probably me  ;D

The gasket cost me more than the glass did! 

But I just used a little wd-40 and got mine in in about 30 minutes...of course having a friend that puts them in for a living is also a plus :)

What works well for putting in winds is the handcleaner stuff, not the gritty stuff but the soft slippery stuff.

Just a little addition

Steve

I am on the road and working . My wife is taking care of it for me  ;D
Man I tried and tried ... no go . I think the polyshiled is larger than the glass was .
She is taking pics of it though .

sammi_davis said:
I am on the road and working . My wife is taking care of it for me? ;D
Man I tried and tried ... no go . I think the polyshiled is larger than the glass was .
She is taking pics of it though .

Man :o your wife put's in the windshield while you're working, I have got to show her this post. I can call my wife from work and say "hey looks like it may rain, how about pulling the sammy in before it starts" and I get lip. You my friend are one lucky man.

OK Kim called in the calvary .Or at least the DeSkinny Calvary  ;D

Sean came by and put in my windshield . I had tried it and it kicked my butt , none of the glass shops would touch it

1st you put the gasket around the windshield . The gasket seemed long , but once it was wrestled on it was the right size .
newzukdlex_003.jpg

Next you run a piece of string around the perimeter of the windshield frame in the gasket . You will put the string in the groove that actually seals to the windshield frame .
newzukdlex_005.jpg

Then you put the bottom corner in place by pushing the gasket over the lip . You then use the string to pull the gasket over the lip on the inside . This will take a  little while , be patient and don't force anything .
newzukdlex_004.jpg

I don't have any more pics of the install as Kim had to go and feed the baby ... we were pre-empted  ;D

Overall it isn't terrible . It will help if you do this with someone has done one before (thanks Sean ) and an old gasket is supposed to be easier to install than a new one . Two sets of hands are a huge advantage too . If you have questions feel free to ask .

Heres the finished  product
pic_of_windo_.jpg

So now its been a few months, how are you liking your windshield? I am wanting to get that same windshield from Roadless. how has it performed? any wiper marks or nicks in the scratch resistant coating?

no marks , but my wipers dont work right now  ;D

I like it .....I hit it with a piece of 2x4 accidentally and it just bounced off .

just to add to the testomony of the poly sheild .. I used it in Ketchikan AK ( over 300 days of rain a year) for 2 years and I drove with it across country. I had big rocks fly out od a truck at it and got sprayed with gravel
There is only one small mark on my shield the size of a pin head and no sratched, it has not hazed and is way better then glass. it is by far the best thing you can do if you need a windshield .. the only downside is it is not DOT legal so some state inspecters may not sticker it

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom